Widow barrel question

Started by mizlplix, February-20-22 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

mizlplix

Greetings from sunny Arizona.  I bought a Widow from a friend.  I noticed it said .22Lr on the frame.  Does that mean I can't get a .22 Mag cylinder for it?
I know most switchable guns come with a 22mag sized barrel and you can shoot .22Lr through it with a cylinder change.   Did mine come with a .22Lr sized barrel that would cause issues if I shot magnums?  Thanks....

Wumbey Goomba

If it has a 22lr cylinder you will not be able to put
a 22mag. bullet in it.
You can get a mag. cylinder and put it in
the frame you have to shoot mag. bullets.
In other words a Black wWidow frame is the
same, just the cylinder is the difference.

pietro

Welcome to the board !

FWIW, I don't remember a .22LR-only BW was ever issued, and AFAIK all BW's were built on the magnum frame.

Early BW's were magnum-only; later issues are dual cylinder LR/Mag convertibles.

If your frame is marked as a .22LR, then your gun actually be a standard Mini, and not a BW.

NAA made Mini's in 3 different frame sizes, .22 Short-only, .22LR (will accept  .22 Shorts) & .22 Magnum ( will accept lR & Shorts, but the chamber ID is to big to support safe firing) 

A magnum cylinder is too long to fit into a LR frame, and the two larger cylinders will not fit into a .22 Short frame.

If a LR cylinder is rechambered to magnum, the bullet noses will protrude from the front of the cylinder, prohibition rotation in a LR frame.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

gadget

I also have a BW LR . It is in fact a Lr model but it is a magnum frame and can be sent back to NAA for a magnum cylinder. They sold at $299.00 list. When I bought mine, that was the only one I could find. It is an easy shooter and I did later buy a BW magnum gun also.

Wumbey Goomba

I also have a Black Widow stamped Long Rifle.

mizlplix

Thanks to all:  My Widow is marked .22LR and is on a Magnum frame.  I was just wondering about the barrel groove diameter?  If it came either way, I would say it had a magnum barrel, but it came marked .22LR so I was wondering if they mounted a .22LR barrel.  I guess I could slug the barrel.  THANKS!

top dog

Mizplix,
First welcome to the forum,lots of good advise here from a great group of folks.

No sweat having the magnum cylinder fitted to your BW. Now you may practice more often with the 22LR rounds.

I warn newcomers to this forum to be aware about purchasing a mini as they tend to "multiply" You buy one and then........ZAR there's another one right next to it.

Don't worry,we are here to "help" you get another one!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Dog

pietro

I stand corrected on the LR-only BW's existence - T.Y.   :-[

bearcatter

Seems to be a rarity, maybe a collector's item? Maybe NAA could verify the change by serial numbers and clear up the confusion.

If an LR stamped BW actually has an LR frame, a magnum cylinder won't fit.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

gadget

It is an actual BW in magnum frame stamped LR and only came with a LR cyl.

Uncle_Lee

OK, let's clear it up.  8)

NAA still sells a Black Widow 22LR.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-bwl/
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Wumbey Goomba

If someone thinks it is extremely valuable,
I have one for sale.

bearcatter

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-27-22 15:02

The frame on that says 22 Magnum, so it's a conversion 22 cylinder. Clicking on the photo enlarges it, but I can read it well enough. The LR framed BWs are still something of a mystery......I hear fog horns ...  ;D
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Wumbey Goomba

NAA still sells a Black Widow Lr

And also in Mini Master

shanep0017

Quote from: Wumbey Goomba on February-27-22 15:02
If someone thinks it is extremely valuable,
I have one for sale.

Actually they're worth the same as other BWs but depending on what you're asking I may be interested..send me a message

bearcatter

Notice that Mr. Goomba said, "extremely valuable".... ;D

Wumbey Goomba

I am speaking in jest.
I.

pietro

Quote from: bearcatter on February-27-22 15:02

The frame on that says 22 Magnum, so it's a conversion 22 cylinder.

The LR framed BWs are still something of a mystery......I hear fog horns ...  ;D

I think I was correct in that there were no LR-framed BW's.

It looks like those folks with ".22LR" BW's have magnum-frame BW's either issued with a magnum-length LR cylinder only, or bought a dual-cylinder BW from someone who sold the BW w/o it's magnum cylinder.

I've read of more than a few folks have bought dual-cylinder rimfire revolvers because they like the gun, but didn't want the extra expense of shooting magnums - so the LR cylinder was used, with the mag cylinder stored (or lost)

I do the same thing, except the unused/stored cylinder from my BW convertible is the LR cylinder (mine has never been in my BW frame).

Rick_Jorgenson

I have both a Black Widow and a Mini Master marked "Long Rifle". Both were on GunBroker.com with no bids, both were purchased at an "attractive" price I believe, because people didn't know you can send them in for a Magnum Cylinder or, they didn't care to go through the steps to send them to NAA for the Magnum Cylinder.

Well... They both have Magnum cylinders now!  ;)

I haven't looked lately but a few years ago (on the NAA website) it showed either gun available with only one cylinder "Long Rifle" or "Magnum", or the "Convertible" model was available (had both cylinders.)  I'm of the opinion that when purchased with only the Long Rifle Cylinder they were marked "Long Rifle" not sure if this is still standard procedure but I'm thinking this is how those guns are marked LR. JMHO

;)
Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

I think when I first came here, all of the magnum frame guns came with the magnum cylinder, or both. To get LR you had to buy a two-cylinder gun, or the LR only model. I don't know how it is now.
I do know the Sheriff, my pick of the minis, is still magnum or both. I have no interest in shooting magnum. The convertible is only 30-odd dollars more, but for me the magnum cylinder would be a paperweight. One reason I still don't own one.

top dog

Bearcatter,

Between the Sheriff and BW I have a difficult time deciding which is best as they both are superb. I prefer the BW but that is me.

I have a friend in FL that had a problem deciding which to buy...........so he did the best thing............bought both.

Top Dog

Uncle_Lee

I got an answer back from Jessica. The ones sold with only the Long Rifle cylinder is marked 22 Long Rifle.

Hi Lee,

The NAA-BWL is sold with an LR cylinder and is marked LR but is still a mag frame and will fit a mag cylinder. The NAA-BWM is sold with a mag cylinder and marked magnum on the frame. The NAA-BWC is sold with both but is only marked as magnum.

Let me know if that clears it up. 😊

Thank you & Have a Fabulous Day!!

Jessica Jarvis
Sales & Marketing Manager
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

top dog

Uncle Lee,
I guess that pretty much Anwers that with total clarity right from the source.

Top Dog