Mini Master vs Sidewinder 4? opinions?

Started by kbuzbee, July-21-22 06:07

Previous topic - Next topic

kbuzbee

Hey guys, interested to hear opinions/experiences between these two.

My initial thoughts? I like the 4? barrel to let the WMR burn a bit better than the shorter barrels will. It appears that the Sidewinder should facilitate load/unload but the MM seems to have better sights and, if necessary, could be further enhanced by adding a Viridean laser.

But that?s all paper analysis. Looking for real world experience.

Thanks!

Ken

kurth83

2" barrel provides enough ballistics to be just fine for defense, 4" travels up the diminishing returns curve from the numbers I could find.  Sights are very important to me, so BW and MM would top my list for 2" and 4" barrels, and avoid the vents if you can.  Although if you really want a 4" barrel you should get one. :-)

I don't think you will get quick reloads with any NAA due to the lack of an ejection bar.  I saw a video reviewing speed loaders available for NAA's and one of them actually helped, but it was still pretty slow overall.  If I really wanted more than 5 shots I would carry a second gun or a second cylinder.  If you buy a convertible you get a 22lr second cylinder, and if that works you could have a second WMR cylinder fitted later.

I tried the laser, it is too small a grip for me, I need the MM/BW grip, or the holster grip to shoot accurately.  So the laser doesn't help me, I was kind of bummed about that cuz I really like lasers.  It is also the button style, I found it easy to have a grip that doesn't quite hit the button.  I prefer the touch sensitive lasers (like lasermax and some others) which are more forgiving, not available for these guns unfortunately.

On the plus side, these guns can be shot very accurately with some practice.

heyjoe

swapping cylinders is a much faster reload on the minis than the sidewinder.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

grayelky

Never shot a sidewinder. While on paper, the SW seems it would be faster to reload, if you do not line the cartridges up just right, the ejector will not clear the recoil shield and it adds time to reloading. For my $.02 worth, I?d id take the heavier barrel and better sights over the SW. Either one would require a holster for woods carry, so that is not a factor.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

LHB

I like my Sidewinder and my Ranger II, because they stay in one piece while reloading, so I don't have to bend over to pick up the piece that I am sure to drop.

kbuzbee

Thanks everyone. Pretty much exactly the conversation going on in my head 😂

OTOH, what a great ?problem? to have, haha

Ken

(Leaning toward MM4)

linux_author

Quote from: kbuzbee on July-22-22 02:07

the big problem is finding one... i would like to have another Sidewinder (it is my favorite summer carry down here in the Near Tropics)

haven't seen one for sale for nearly a year

RogueTS1

Funny thing ................. We have both a SW and a Ranger II and have never fired either of them.  ::)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: linux_author on July-22-22 03:07

the big problem is finding one... i would like to have another Sidewinder (it is my favorite summer carry down here in the Near Tropics)

haven't seen one for sale for nearly a year
There is a 4" Sidewinder on Gunbroker.com available... just sayin  ;) lol!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/940633098
Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Ken

(Leaning toward MM4)
The Mini Master is a really fun gun to shoot.  I prefer it over the Sidewinders, the Sidewinders are a fine gun but handling them is not as "straight forward" (easy)  as the Mini Master JMHO (I have all 3 of the Sidewinders as well as a couple of Mini Masters)

This one is the best price I found today (has both cylinders and most reasonable shipping)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/940591342

Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

So it's not $2.99 and $400.00 shipping? ... :)
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Wumbey Goomba

Have a NAA

kbuzbee

Thanks Rick,

Whole new world for me. Appreciate the guidance.

Ken

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on July-22-22 09:07

Ken

(Leaning toward MM4)
The Mini Master is a really fun gun to shoot.  I prefer it over the Sidewinders, the Sidewinders are a fine gun but handling them is not as "straight forward" (easy)  as the Mini Master JMHO (I have all 3 of the Sidewinders as well as a couple of Mini Masters)

This one is the best price I found today (has both cylinders and most reasonable shipping)