STUCK NUT

Started by OLD and GRUMPY, June-02-22 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD and GRUMPY

The nut that protects the threads on the muzzle is stuck. Baked on. I forgot to use anti seize on it and over time the oil and solvent has become glue. Any tricks? Heat gun?  Big hammer?
Death before Decaf !!!!!

bearcatter

What gun? Stainless or blued? Knurled or hex shape?

My all purpose answer would be mineral spirits applied with a Q-Tip. Next up, if it's stainless, some acetone (nail polish remover). I wouldn't trust it on blued. If you want to try heat, a regular hair blow dryer should be enough.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

OLD and GRUMPY

AK coated round nut with flats. Nut is only a few bucks but I can touch it up with a bluing pen.Would be hard to get solvent into the threads. Can  leave it on just doing a deep clean.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

bearcatter

Oh no! You have an ASSAULT RIFLE ! Shame on you.... 8)

Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Keep us posted.

My favorite touch up is Birchwood Casey Super Blue on a swab.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

OLD and GRUMPY

:o   LEFT HAND THREAD!   :o     Good thing I did not try the nut buster  2' long  breaker bar.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

bearcatter

So you DID get it off, and DIDN'T bust anything?  Whoda thunk left hand?

OLD and GRUMPY

Dream in the night about video on it. Went to Youtube.  He tried it wrong  then got it right. Left. I did put the anti seize on this time.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Just found the long lost muzzle break for it. Gone a year? Just sitting on top in the range box! :o    Menehune, little green men,  leprechauns , heinzelmen  or whatever brought it back. Also the short starter I could not find.  Think I will leave milk and cookies for them.   Nut had to come off any way. 
Death before Decaf !!!!!

bearcatter

Sometimes I can't remember where I set something down, that I had in my hand two minutes before.
Oh, the joys of getting old(er). . ::)

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: bearcatter on June-04-22 09:06
Sometimes I can't remember where I set something down, that I had in my hand two minutes before.
Oh, the joys of getting old(er). . ::)
That's why I blame the  leprechauns & Co. 
Death before Decaf !!!!!