1911 Small-of-Back Holster Carry

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, July-14-22 09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

We have been making more of these for the 1911's lately

Small-of-Back style in Chestnut Color Leather with Mahogany Color Overlay Trim and Brown Thread.

I have used one while working at the shop and it is a convenient way to carry if your standing or only sitting on backless stools. It is easily covered with a light shirt, sweatshirt or, jacket.

I have done them for every size gun. My opinion is it works best for "thin" and/or small guns. (1911's are only about 3/4" thick)

I did one for a client with a .44 special Revolver, there is no way that was going to be comfortable! lol!!

Questions, Comments, Constructive Criticism are always welcome!  Thanks for looking!

Rick
Rick Jorgenson

KEN AR

Very nice holster.
I'm not a fan of SOB holsters simply because they may not conform to safety rules of always keep it pointed in a safe direction.  I carry Pointed down if at all possible. The driving holster is the exception for me but then it is still safe when seated in the car where it is designed to be used.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Rick_Jorgenson

Ken, I agree with you... this style Holster breaks some safety rules. And, like you said "the Driving Holster" does as well.

Holsters like this and Driving Holster are for "unique concealed carry" opportunities/needs and those of us that choose to use them do so with lots of unloaded practice drawing/re-holstering to be proficient and safe with them.

Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

Appendix carry always bothered me. That tends to point the muzzle at some important plumbing.... ::)
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: bearcatter on July-14-22 21:07
Appendix carry always bothered me. That tends to point the muzzle at some important plumbing.... ::)
Definitely a "rule breaker" but,  sometimes there is a need to carry like that. Practice, practice, practice!  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

Uncle_Lee

For sure, two more beautiful holster pictures for my file.

I love those colors.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

RogueTS1

Safety rules, smafety rules. Until a gun is being drawn it matters not where the muzzle is pointing. People go off about how carrying at 3 or 5 o'clock is not flagging one's self when in fact, no matter where one wears their gun they are going to flag themselves. As for others, as soon as that gun is coming out of the holster somebody, somewhere is most likely going to be flagged. The key is to training one's self enough to not be placing one's finger on the trigger until ready to fire. Now for the real world ............... if/when one gets into a gunfight, they are going to be muzzle sweeping people as they move and fight. It is just the dynamics of gun play. Watch a tactical team go in. They are stacked up outside a door trying to keep their muzzles off their team members in front of them but once that door gets kicked in and they swarm the room somebody is getting flagged. The key is to try and minimize it and know how to do the room so one does not shoot anybody but the bad guys.

Worrying about a holstered gun muzzle flagging people is like worrying about a gun lying on a table or hanging on the wall flagging somebody. Do we feel endangered when visiting our LGS and scores of pistols flag us from behind the counter glass as we peruse the stock? It is akin to the Left's crazy idea that guns kill people all by themselves. They do not. It takes a person with ill intents or poor training to do so.  8)

Good examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrjMrIV0UA
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: uncle_lee on July-15-22 05:07
For sure, two more beautiful holster pictures for my file.

I love those colors.
Makes the coffee go down a little smoother!  :)

Thanks Uncle_Lee!
Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: RogueTS1 on July-15-22 08:07
Safety rules, smafety rules. Until a gun is being drawn it matters not where the muzzle is pointing. 
The key is to training one's self enough to not be placing one's finger on the trigger until ready to fire. 
The key is to try and minimize it and know how to do the room so one does not shoot anybody but the bad guys.
Worrying about a holstered gun muzzle flagging people is like worrying about a gun lying on a table or hanging on the wall flagging somebody.

"Safety rules, smafety rules"

I like it! lol!!

The "safety rules" need to be in place because of the small percentage of the gun owning population will actually do regular TRAINING with their "gun of choice" to become competent with that gun.

Those that have only carried Glocks (or any striker fired gun, or single action, etc.) and decide they are going to carry a 1911 cocked and locked without several hours of handling, tactical reloads, etc. with hundreds or maybe thousands of rounds down range may be putting themselves and/or others in danger. And, vice versa.

I'm not picking on any one gun or style of gun. We are creatures of habit and you cannot treat all guns the same. The wrong move from habit on a different platform of gun could be only an A.D. or worse case, catastrophic.

Bottom line is "know your weapon, be competent with it" and that helps with safety.
(JMHO, I'm not a gun expert)  ;)

Rick Jorgenson

RogueTS1

QuoteThe "safety rules" need to be in place because of the small percentage of the gun owning population will actually do regular TRAINING with their "gun of choice" to become competent with that gun.

Now, we know this is us being nit picky, and while we understand your point, we believe what you speak of has more to do with gun "etiquette" than gun "safety rules." The "oopses" will happen to these types no matter what "rules" or "etiquette" we speak of. They will un-holster, or in more instances, holster and shoot one off for a number of dumb reasons. All the talk of "rules" or "etiquette" will not prevent it. Training aka competency probably would, but talking about "rules" or "etiquette" is a waste of time for these situations.  :-[

Quote"Safety rules, smafety rules"

I like it! lol!!

We thought you might.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

LHB

Several years ago I was told that two local county deputies had flown to pick up a prisoner, staying that night in a motel before picking him up, the next morning, as one of them was holstering his S&W Chiefs Special in his cross draw holster, shot the end off left hand longest finger.   He was a firm believer in trigger shoes, and had put one on his Smith before leaving home, and didn't realize that the shoe protruded enough to cycle the action when it caught on the holster lip.   They did bring the prisoner home.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: RogueTS1 on July-15-22 12:07
QuoteThe "safety rules" need to be in place because of the small percentage of the gun owning population will actually do regular TRAINING with their "gun of choice" to become competent with that gun.

Now, we know this is us being nit picky, and while we understand your point, we believe what you speak of has more to do with gun "etiquette" than gun "safety rules." The "oopses" will happen to these types no matter what "rules" or "etiquette" we speak of. They will un-holster, or in more instances, holster and shoot one off for a number of dumb reasons. All the talk of "rules" or "etiquette" will not prevent it. Training aka competency probably would, but talking about "rules" or "etiquette" is a waste of time for these situations.  :-[

Quote"Safety rules, smafety rules"

I like it! lol!!

We thought you might.  ;D
"Training aka competency probably would, but talking about "rules" or "etiquette" is a waste of time for these situations.  :-["

Rogue... Thats a better way to say it  ;)

There was a photo of the inside of a gun barrel on one of the Facebook groups, the "Safety Nazis" were posting like crazy...
"I can't believe your looking down the barrel of any gun" and
"You should never point a gun at your face" and my favorite...
"All guns are loaded, thats why you should not point a gun at yourself"  :o

I couldn't resist myself and posted... "Have you thought about using your cell phone to take the photo? If it disturbs you that much in your own controlled surroundings to look down a barrel, there is no need to. Simply hold your phone camera pointed up to the barrel!

I signed off before they could say anything dumber! lol!!
Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: LHB on July-15-22 20:07
Several years ago I was told that two local county deputies had flown to pick up a prisoner, staying that night in a motel before picking him up, the next morning, as one of them was holstering his S&W Chiefs Special in his cross draw holster, shot the end off left hand longest finger.   He was a firm believer in trigger shoes, and had put one on his Smith before leaving home, and didn't realize that the shoe protruded enough to cycle the action when it caught on the holster lip.   They did bring the prisoner home.
I had to look up what a "Trigger Shoe" was  :o 

They appear to be a poor substitute for a proper gunsmith trigger job and/or practice on the range.

A "soft" Holster that can fold a bit can catch a trigger while holstering or your shirt, if there is too much material to get caught on your gun while holstering.
Rick Jorgenson

RogueTS1

Quote"I can't believe your looking down the barrel of any gun" and
"You should never point a gun at your face" and my favorite...
"All guns are loaded, thats why you should not point a gun at yourself"

This is the very type of thing that drives us batty!  :o