Lucky find at the gun show today.

Started by Bkraft, August-06-22 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Bkraft

Went to the local gun show today. I was really disappointed with the prices I was seeing on both firearms and ammo. Even for the current market, I thought things were fairly high across the board.

Toward the end of my walk through the building, I came across a vendor with two stainless steel Interarms PPKs for 475 each. That was the first and only deal I had seen that day. I already have a PPK, though and wasn?t sure I needed to spend the money on another so I passed.

On making my way back to the exit, I stumbled on this little table I must have missed on the way in.  There were a couple older rifles there, and I?m a sucker for milsurps, so I stopped to look.

I have to preface this by saying that about 12 years ago, my wife talked me into selling a Longbranch No4Mk1 Enfield that I had just purchased and I did, thinking I?d just grab another one later.  This was just before Enfield prices began to climb and, go figure, the Longbranch has some rarity and really jumped.  I never replaced that gun. ProbBly my only regretted sale.

Anyway, I see this sporterized No4Mk1 on the table.  Bolt was zip tied shut as a lot of these old rifles are at shows.  Price tag on it was just over 300?.  Which wasn?t bad.  I had some small talk with the guy and went back to looking  at the rifle.  He said, I?d take 250 for that. That was all it took.

So I get it home, cut the zip tie and pull back the bolt. Super clean chamber, bolt slides easily.  Grabbed a light and peered down the bore.  Super shiny with crisp clear rifling. Now I?m really happy. Finally replaced my No4Mk1 and it?s looking good.

Then I noticed the ?US Property? stamp on the top side of the Reciever. That?s odd.  What is that doing on a British rifle?  So I start to research a little more?. I notice the No4Mk1* stamp (with the * - like my old Longbranch).  Serial number has a ?C?, block ?S? stamp in the side of Reciever?.   

Yep, I just paid 250 for a Savage Arms built Lend Lease Enfield.

Barrel wasn?t cut.  A stock and bands is mostly all I?ll need to put this back in military condition. It?s a clean, very old sporterization, but this rifle deserves to be restored.

bearcatter

Looks good as it is, before you do any magic. That rifle has possibly traveled a lot of miles between the factory and now. Any way to know if it ever went to England?
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Bkraft

As best as I can tell, they presumably were all shipped to England as none were used by US Forces, but I do not know that for a fact.

There is, however, a ?B? stamped underneath my serial number which is the British Acceptance Stamp, so that more or less confirms that it went to England.

bearcatter

Cool... 8)

The stories old guns could tell, especially military.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Uncle_Lee

Nothing like getting more than what you paid for.
Happy for you.
Restore it and make it your own.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

5_shooter

Looks like you got a heck of a good deal! Nice rifle!

top dog

BK,
That is super nice. Looks great as is. In my opinion,leave it in that condition,but then,that is just my opinion.

Always great tp see someone uncover a great find.

Top Dog