Is the 22lr cylinder worth getting?

Started by Sergio, November-20-22 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergio

Hi I?m new to this forum but not new to NAA. So recently I picked up a new Ranger ll 22 mag for a great price and got to fire it yesterday and I was very impressed with its accuracy.
My question is, is the 22LR cylinder worth buying and how accurate is it compared to the 22 mag? My understanding is the the bullet diameter for the two are different and in my experience with convertible Ruger single six I noticed accuracy drops when shooting the 22lr cylinder.
Thanks in advance
Sergio

Rex T. Dog

Think about your experience with the Ruger...how much .22lr did you shoot compared to .22wmr...if accuracy is your only concern then the lr cylinder for the NAA may seem the same in comparison...if you are trying to save on ammo costs, then the lr cylinder will pay for itsself...any .22lr/.22wmr will have this issue, with varying degrees of difference...it should not amaze that .0005+/- in bullet diameter will make a difference...we shoot in volume, and don't worry about the size of our groups...other folks, such as yourself, are wired for ultimate accuracy...it's okay, there's room for all of us...

Sergio

Alright thanks, I?ll stick to shooting mags out of it being that it was tightly grouping at ten yards.

Rick_Jorgenson

Hi Sergio!

First.... Welcome to the Forum!

For myself, I like my Mini's to have both cylinders.

#1. When you take them to the Range, everyone wants to try them. You can slip the Long Rifle cylinder in and let them shoot a few rounds. It  promotes the brand and you don't eat up all your Magnum ammo.

#2. The Grand Kids don't eat up all your Magnum ammo!  They tend to hang around longer than people at the Range so again, you save some ammo.

#3.  If you ever choose to sell one of your Mini's having both cylinders does make it more appealing to most buyers. It seems like a "full set", all the options are there for them.

#4. You might find yourself shooting it more. When I bring one to the Range that have both cylinders I do a "set" with Magnums and then shoot a bunch of Long Rifle rounds. (thats when people gather around and want to try it)  ;)

I have 3 or 4 that need to go to the Factory for LR cylinders that I have "acquired".  I also have an original Bug Out that only came with a LR cylinder, it needs to go in for the Magnum cylinder.  Those are on my 2023 "to do" list.

Hope that helps!

Rick Jorgenson

bluecow

If for no other reason that then you can shoot any .22RF ammo you run acrost. YES! ;)

Uncle_Lee

I would recommend both cylinders for all the reasons already mentioned.

Just when I thought my coffee wouldn't get any better, up comes 3 pictures of beautiful leather and a Ranger.
I already have the pictures but repeats are just as good for the coffee.. ;) 
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Sergio

Nice pictures and thank you for the info.

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

pietro

Welcome to the asylum - we already know you have the same sickness we do.......... :)
Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

top dog

Sergio,

Welcome to the forum. By now you probably figured out and are wondering what you got yourself into!!!

At true mini ranges  (about 8 feet) there is no real difference in the accuracy so I would suggest you get the LR cylinder.

As I have said many times before,you now have the "mini bug" and probably before long there will be (many) other minis to join your first one.

It's OK,we will  "help" you pick out your next one or more. And,as you have seen,Rick can make superb holsters for you.

Watch out for Uncle Lee as he will want lots of photos to look at while he enjoys his (many) cups of coffee.

Top Dog

FailedFusion

Welcome !

I just wanted to say that the 22lr cylinder is definitely worth it. I also agree with everything Rick said. Getting the extra 22lr cylinder for my minis has made owning them so much more enjoyable. 

Every time I go to the range my minis always draw a crowd. I love letting kids and adults :) shoot 22lr and 22 shorts out of the minis.

I love shooting magnums out of my minis but the 22lr is super relaxing. I can shoot 22lr all day. You will not regret getting the cylinder.

Texduk3

When I bought my 2 mini's, I made sure each had 2 cylinders.   8)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

jstert

for me, the 22lr cylinder is the only/best way to roll.  i find the extra flashbang of 22wmr to be really offputting, and not worth whatever extra oomph it may offer.

bearcatter

You can go in-between, and use Velocitors or Stingers in the LR.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Canoeal

Quote from: jstert on November-30-22 13:11
for me, the 22lr cylinder is the only/best way to roll.  i find the extra flashbang of 22wmr to be really offputting, and not worth whatever extra oomph it may offer.

Not me the exact opposite is my take; skip 22lr unless it is just for target practice.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Sergio

Thank y?all in helping me decide. For now I going to hold off on a 22lr cylinder I just keep my eyes peeled for a 22lr  NAA mini.
Thanks

Rex T. Dog

Excellent plan...that is the only mini we own, chosen for It's size and wide range of available ammo...we load velocitors, on the range we shoot whatever we have on hand...whereas you are looking for a .22lr model, we are thinking we might go either way, the .22 short model or the .22wmr model...lotta folks here tend toward the bigger models, with better sights and bigger grips, we lean the other way, we like small and tiny...choices, choices...

Sergio

This target was shot at 9 yards and as I pulled the trigger I could see how my grip would shift a bit and point to the left.

Sergio

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Sergio on December-06-22 12:12
This target was shot at 9 yards and as I pulled the trigger I could see how my grip would shift a bit and point to the left.
Thats some pretty good shooting! For being "new" to NAA Mini's and getting that many in a small group at 27 feet using stock grips! Good Job!
Rick Jorgenson

top dog

Sergio,
Very good!!!

Top Dog

Sergio

Thanks, my first mini 22 mag I got in early 80 and sill have it. Like I said how surprise I was with its accuracy I?m even thinking in carrying the Ranger instead of Ruger Bearcat at the farm.

Naa NinJA

Quote from: Sergio on December-01-22 10:12
Thank y?all in helping me decide. For now I going to hold off on a 22lr cylinder I just keep my eyes peeled for a 22lr  NAA mini.
Thanks
I do like the idea of getting a 22lr but they do take some getting used to compared to the magnum frame the magnum is a lot easier to hold and shoot where the 22lr is kind of a pain to hold and shoot at first but then again my first mini that bit me and got the mini love for was a 22lr...but I bet them boot grips make it that much better to hold and shoot vs the bird head grips....I also try to get both cylinders when getting a magnum hope this helps and enjoy your minis and hope they multiply let us know when u get the 22lr