Sidewinder Review on GunBlast

Started by capn, December-13-12 07:12

Previous topic - Next topic

capn

CavScout

Interesting Ser. No. WSS04... "Writer Special Sample"? Also Model # NAA-SWC... "Side Winder Compact"?

I personally have no regrets with Jeff getting an early sample. I've looked to his reviews many times when researching a wish list firearm.
"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile."
- David W. Loeffler

tocsn40

Very nice have been waiting for that. 
Tocsn40

cedarview kid

Very nice.

I find it curious that the Winchester Supreme magnum hollow points were tested in two bullet weights and the heavier bullet had a slightly higher velocity. I wonder if that's a fluke or if it's repeatable. In any case, high 900's are certainly impressive.

CavScout

Quote from: naa_collector on December-13-12 10:12
Very nice.

I find it curious that the Winchester Supreme magnum hollow points were tested in two bullet weights and the heavier bullet had a slightly higher velocity. I wonder if that's a fluke or if it's repeatable. In any case, high 900's are certainly impressive.

It was fairly common in gun mags a couple or three decades back to recommend using heavier bullets in 2" snubbies. The theory was the heavier bullet resisted forward movement enough to allow more complete combustion of the powder.

Back then most everybody was reloading with relatively slow burning powders to achieve magnum or +P performance. Fast burning powders were mostly used for target/plinking loads.

So, it makes sense to me that a .22 Mag round loaded with powder to perform in a 20-24" barrel would fit the heavier bullet theory in a <2" barrel.
"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile."
- David W. Loeffler

theysayimnotme

Verry odd. It would seem from those tables that the magnums are a total waste of money. All you would gain would be noise & muzzle flash at night. It makes me wonder about the Ruger .454 revolver with a very short barrel.
I once saw a Freedom Arms .454 with a similar barrel on consignment with a tag calling it a ".454 flamethrower".

cedarview kid

Interesting point, ThaySay. So, the Winchester DynaPoint HP .22LR with a bullet weight of 40 still has a velocity of 921. Not the high 900's, but lower 900's. But a larger bullet.

Very odd indeed.

heyjoe

good video.

you know that is how i picture all of you southerners ,right?
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Dinadan

A very interesting review. Especially the ballistics charts. Collector noted the surprising comparitive velocities of Winchester Supreme magnum hollow points, with the heavier bullet faster. What is surprising to me is the comparitive velocities of CCI Mini-mag solids and CCI Mini-mag HPs.Only 4 gr difference in weight, 40gr to 36gr, but the velocity jumped from  833 to 983: a 20% increase.

I prefer heavier ammo, and I carry Velocitor in my LR; I guess I need to find some Aguila Supermaximum HPI and 36gr CCI Minimag HP, though I want to test it in my own guns and see how penetration looks compared to Velocitor.

Uncle_Lee

I found it odd that the mags didn't do better than they did.
Makes me think that LRs are good enough and not as loud.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

cedarview kid

I DO hate the loudness of the magnum round. I still have hearing loss of high pitches in my right ear from a magnum blast in about 1986 when I was in high school. I was completely deaf in that one ear for about five days, after which most of the hearing finally returned. Still can't hear crickets in that ear, tho. Makes it nice for getting to sleep sometimes, tho. Hehe.

Dinadan

Uncle lee - using my Pug with its 1" barrel I have done penetration tests three times with my two favorite ammos, LR Velocitors (40gr) and Gold Dot mags (40gr). My results have been ambiguous: There just is not a clear difference. I think that is because the mag cylinder gives the LR round an extra 3/8" barrel. With my longer barrels, the mag rounds have always beat the LR in penetration.

Uncle_Lee

Thanks,
I just never really looked up the difference between a mag and a LR out of a short barrel.
I guess I thought it would be as different as being shot out of a rifle.

Wrong!!!
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

ploughboy

have not shot mine yet. glad to see this on gun blast.

scrounger

FINALLY!  Just got notice that my credit card has been charged for the Sidewinder.  Life is good.