Black Widow 17 HMR

Started by Ed Travis, December-26-12 10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Travis

Have these guns been recalled? Mine is starting to have some jamming problems. I have heard that the 17 HMR has had some problems. Any suggestions?

boone123

ED
Try cleaning the cyilinder chambers, and make sure there is NO  oil or crud in them.
If you send it in it will most likely be replaced with a 22Mag with the 22LR cyl. also.
I sent two in and they replaced both of them with 22 mag/22LR.  If the fired cases are setting back against the frame and locking up the cylinder, it has been said that spinning some rough sandpaper in the chambers might help. Never tried it.
I think there was hope for one of the two I sent back, and in hindsight wish I had tried a couple of things.
I picked up a new unfired Mini Master a while back, in 17 HMR and maybe this spring I will see what it does.
Some of them keyholed the bullet, but in some cases a better crown might fix that. A good crown with that light bullet would be pretty important..

If you think you might want to send it in, CALL them first, and see what they say...

cedarview kid

Here's a couple of suggestions from a .17 NAA mini collector:

1. If you're having problems with your .17 and want a working gun, sell the .17 to a collector, because yes, they have been discontinued because of problems you are describing. Or...
2. NAA will apparently swap it for a new .22 Magnum. Not sure what they do with .17's that come in, but I doubt they destroy them.
3. Keep the .17 and enjoy having a rare model.

Also keep in mind that although they MAY have collector value, you MIGHT have a hard time collecting a premium price for the rare .17. Rare here doesn't necessarily mean high value. An exception to that might be the .17Mach2 and the .17HMR based on the standard magnum frame, as these models seem much more rare. But, if the buyer isn't willing to pay more, you aren't going to get it.

Good luck with it! In any case, it's a nice piece of history--and one path that didn't turn out as well as had been hoped. Great idea, though, IMO.

Darvell

Ed Travis

Thanks guys. I have some thinking to do. Will try the deep clean. I have another in 22 mag so I may decide to keep it. Thanks again!