Dry Fire best practices

Started by SmallPackages, June-13-24 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallPackages

I understand that with revolvers like the PUG, NAA recommends removing the cylinder to dry fire.

I have noticed some users prefer to use drywall bits or used .22 brass.

I am wondering what the best options are for dry firing the new Sentinel. Removing the cylinder seems a bit of a hassle.

naaadmin

Even though the cylinder stays attached for reload, you can still remove it. This is what makes it possible to switch from Magnum to LR. Our gunsmith recommends popping the screw out so you can do dry firing you need without damaging the gun.

SmallPackages

Thank you for the quick response!

One thing I appreciate about revolvers is that dry fire is so easy. It is administratively easy to clear a revolver, you don't need to do resets, all trigger pulls are consistent, etc.

Using your gunsmith's recommendation, how much wear can the screw and screw hole sustain?  What I mean is, if you are going to dry fire for a few minutes each day but also carry daily, this is a lot of wear on a part presumably not designed for so much use.

Also, I have metal dummy rounds and could also use dry wall bits or spent brass. Does your gunsmith discourage this practice?  If so, what is the reason behind it.

Thank you for considering my questions.

And if any users have practical experience with dry firing NAA revolvers, I would love to hear about your experience.

bill_deshivs

Gunsmith recommendation or not-

Slamming two pieces of steel together repeatedly will (not can) cause either deformation of the steel and/or embrittlement of the steel. Neither is good-especially on a tiny gun with little mass to absorb the shock.

Either use dedicated snap caps or fired cartridges-turned to a new spot for the firing pin to hit each time you dry fire.

Using drywall anchors offers virtually no resistance to the firing pin, as it simply penetrates the soft plastic.

Removing the cylinder does nothing to prevent the hammer hitting the frame- which is where damage will occur.

I probably have more gunsmithing and metal working experience than most of your gunsmiths.

SmallPackages

Quote from: bill_deshivs on June-14-24 11:06Gunsmith recommendation or not-

Slamming two pieces of steel together repeatedly will (not can) cause either deformation of the steel and/or embrittlement of the steel. Neither is good-especially on a tiny gun with little mass to absorb the shock.

Either use dedicated snap caps or fired cartridges-turned to a new spot for the firing pin to hie each time you dry fire.

Using drywall anchors offers virtually no resistance to the firing pin, as it simply penetrates the soft plastic.

Removing the cylinder does nothing to prevent the hammer hitting the frame- which is where damage will occur.

I probably have more gunsmithing and metal working experience than most of your gunsmiths.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this.

Thank you.

Anvil

I have found these 22 MAG DUMMY'S to use when dry fireing.
You may not need it but should have it.

SmallPackages

Quote from: Anvil on June-14-24 18:06I have found these 22 MAG DUMMY'S to use when dry fireing.

I'm curious if @bill_deshivs or the NAA gunsmith have an opinion on this.

It is aluminum, but it has been anodized, which makes it harder. That means it will withstand more abuse but might also mean it absorbs less impact leading to the problems Bill Deshivs mentioned, but I have no way to know which side it falls on. Brass is more malleable.

RogueTS1

We have always just stuck to the old rule of "Do not dry fire Rimfire guns." Why tempt fate?
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

camo

I agree with you Rogue. No problem doing that way all these years. No use in changing now.

bill_deshivs

Anodization of aluminum only produces a hard surface, and it is very thin.
The hardness of the underlying aluminum is not affected.

SmallPackages

Quote from: bill_deshivs on June-17-24 11:06Anodization of aluminum only produces a hard surface, and it is very thin.
The hardness of the underlying aluminum is not affected.

Thank you for the informative response!