.22 shorts in 22lr cylinders

Started by Anvil, June-29-24 18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Anvil

Would there be any issues in firing the .22 short in a .22lr NAA cylinder? I'm starting my grandson off with .22 shorts in a single shot rifle. Once he is comfortable with that and then the .22lr I will move him to my revolvers in the same rimfire calibers. My tiny .22 short might be tough to handle for him at his age so I'm thinking about having him try .22 shorts in the .22lr mini for a better grip hold.
I'd appreciate any thoughts. I would not want any damage in the cylinder gap.
I've heard centerfire calibers can do just that. ::)

You may not need it but should have it.

Ozark75

I shoot CB Shorts in my Sheriff all the time. No issues.

top dog

Anvil,
No problem at all. After firing many shorts,you may just want to clean out the chambers with a brass/bronze brush to clean out the residue.

I doubt that would really be needed.

Hope that your grandchild enjoys the shooting session.

Top Dog

heyjoe

Quote from: Anvil on June-29-24 18:06Would there be any issues in firing the .22 short in a .22lr NAA cylinder? I'm starting my grandson off with .22 shorts in a single shot rifle. Once he is comfortable with that and then the .22lr I will move him to my revolvers in the same rimfire calibers. My tiny .22 short might be tough to handle for him at his age so I'm thinking about having him try .22 shorts in the .22lr mini for a better grip hold.
I'd appreciate any thoughts. I would not want any damage in the cylinder gap.
I've heard centerfire calibers can do just that. ::)

i have shot 38's out of a 357, 32 longs out of a 32 magnum and 327, 32 acp out of a 32 long. 32 S& W out of a 32 long, 32 magnum, and 327, 41 special out of a 41 magnum, even 380 out of a 8 mm revolver. never had a problem, and no damage to the guns

It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

bill_deshivs

The only problem you will encounter is that the chambers have to be thoroughly cleaned after using the shorts.
Shorts leave a residue ring in the chamber. If not cleaned out completely, long rifle cartridges may be difficult or impossible to chamber.

Anvil

Thanks guys! I figured the cylinder would need cleaning. I just wanted to be sure there wouldn't any corrosive damage.

Anvil

.22 shorts are fun to shoot. I think the last time I fired some off I was just 10 years old with a Stevens single shot rifle.

camo

Me too, except it was a Winchester single shot. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

TruthTellers

Nope, even in a convertible .22 LR/.22 Mag cylinder there's nothing wrong with .22 Short because the entire length of the chamber is the same, so the bullet is supported and loses no velocity because the chamber allows a measure of powder burn BEFORE it touches the rifling.