.22 short

Started by Anvil, July-01-24 18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Anvil

I know the .22 short is not really that popular any more but I must admit I really have enjoyed my new NAA in this caliber at 3 yds. I used 29 grain lead round nose CCI sub sonic low noise rounds and was suprised how good it preformed.
I will admit however it was a bit of a challenge handling it.
If I had my druthers I'd want this little revoilver with a 3 inch barrel and a little larger grips.
But then I might be the only one interested in such a consception! ::)   
You may not need it but should have it.

antares_b

Have you considered boot grips? I think people here have done that for the Short in the past, though I can't find any pictures.

dinooch

I put the boot grips on my LR mini. It makes the gun easier to cock and it doesn't add too much bulk. I have it in my pocket right now.

antares_b

The boot grips do look good on the LR mini. I thought they might look a little out of proportion on the Short.

Anvil

Quote from: antares_b on July-02-24 13:07The boot grips do look good on the LR mini. I thought they might look a little out of proportion on the Short.
I think you are right antares_b. But if the barrel was longer it would help with the aesthetics of the boot grip.

Anvil

From Gun Digest 2009... editor Dan Shideler.
Call me a nut, but I use .22 Shorts for most of my mini-gun shooting. I have a long-standing preference for the Short, one, I acquired over many boyhood years spent shooting a Remington Model 514 single-shot rifle. Back then, Shorts were cheaper than any other .22 ammo, and even today the sight of a flat little box of Shorts does my heart good. The Earl convertible model will handle an amazing array of .22 rimfire ammo, but Shorts and CB caps suit me just fine most of the time. Hey – we're talking plinking here!

I just may try the shorts in all my NAA's and see how they do!

antares_b

I think a longer barrel on the Short would look great with boot grips. It would have that Old West vibe and be a breeze to shoot. Sure, it would be less versatile than an LR--but the tiny cylinder is itself a conversation piece.

TruthTellers

I have one and between it and the .22 LR only model, I'd rather have the Short because size matters and whether I had the LR or the Short my target in a defense use is the same: the face and head. The trouble with gripping it is the same as the LR only mini, so there's no improvement going with the .22 LR, which means if you do go with the boot grips the .22 Short is still the same size as the .22 LR without them, yet smaller than the .22 LR with the same boot grips.

If there's any improvement I'd like to see with the .22 Short it's better sights, something like the Pug or the new Sentinel. The traditional sights are workable, but not ideal.

I say this because laser grip sights are no longer made for the Short/LR frames and IDK why NAA hasn't contracted someone to make grips for those as they really do benefit from them.

Anvil

I would really like to see somthing similar to this revolver from the 1870's become available at some point but I'm told by the service department there are no new plans for another .22 short revolver at this time. :(
I think with a longer barrel, an unfluted cylinder an enhanced grip would make it awesome! It would definately be my 6th NAA!

Anvil

Did you know the .22 short rimfire was developed as a personal defense caliber?
My Marine vet brother-in-law laughs at that.
but admits it could be deadly.

antares_b

It's remarkable how little the design of mini revolvers has changed in 150 years. With a longer barrel like the one in the picture, the little bullets have a decent chance of flying straight.

bill_deshivs

Interestingly, barrel length has very little to do with inherent accuracy.
Longer barrels do give you a better sight radius.

Anvil

A longer barrel also allows the bullet more time which can increase the bullet's velocity and potentially its accuracy.

antares_b

Yes, and there's less potential for keyholing.

I like the YouTube video series that Buffalo's Outdoors did on the Short mini. He demonstrates that decent accuracy is possible, along with showing what the bullets will and won't penetrate.

Anvil

I've not so far experienced any keyhole shots with the .22 short CCI ammo in any of my firearms.  :D