last attempt target shooting at my age

Started by Anvil, August-23-24 19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Anvil

Like many of you, I am a lifetime rimfire shooter. I know this is way off topic but rely on the expertise of the rimfire members here. I should post this on Rimfire Central but sorry, they are way too politically correct for my generation.

I recently purchased a Savage B22 precision 22lr.
I wear tri-focal glasses and am debating whether to get open target sights or a good scope.
I've been instructed a scope should cost 1/2 the price of the firearm.
Good open sights are hard to find nowadays and scopes are difficult to focus with my glasses.
I think a 3x15 scope is recommended. As for iron sights I have had luck with adjustable elevation peep sights in the past.
Any input you would have will be considered. thanks!

You may not need it but should have it.

billmeek

It depends on the type of shooting you want to do.  For precision shooting, a good scope would be the best solution. 

I used to shoot NRL22 and my rule of thumb was the exact opposite of the advise you were given.  Optics often ran 2x (or more) the price of the rifle. I bought several of this scope to go on 22LR rifles:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-tac-6-24x50-aprs3-ffp-mil-scope/

I've used those to shoot from 25-500 yards with a 22LR.  The first time to hit steel at 500 yards was with a Savage B22 FV-SR (basically the same gun you bought without the fancy stock), that Athlon scope, and a set of Burris Xtreme Signature Rings allowing me to bottom out the scope. So even with hold-over, I was barely able to reach the target at 500.

If it's just for backyard plinking, open sights will do.  But that is not what that rifle was designed to use and are going to ride a bit high on the picatinny rail.  Another option for plinking would be a dot sight.  I've bought a few of these to fit rifles:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Holosun-HE512C-GD-Gold-Multi-Reticle-Circle-Dot-Enclosed-Reflex-Sight-w-Solar-Fa.aspx

No, they are not inexpensive.  But they aren't cheap made either.  They are shake-awake and the batteries should last a long time.  I (being overly paranoid) change the batteries out once a year on all of the dot sights on my firearms.  That way I don't have to be concerned about my sights going out at an inopportune moment.

By the way, my Savage rifles were very accurate for the money.  They won't compete with some of the high-end 22LR rifles (thousands of dollars) they now use at the local NRL22 match, but they were more accurate than I often was capable of shooting.  I went from B22 (bolt action) to A22 (semi-auto), to chasing accuracy with a Ruger 10/22.  Now that is where all the customization options get you into a money pit.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

dinooch

Before I finally bit the bullet and got real glasses I put AR15 style sights on my Ruger 10/22 carbine. I've always been an iron sight guy and the sights worked out great then and still do. They cost less than $50.00 I've been able to out shoot many of my friends with scopes on our "woods walk" .22 shooting games at my friends camp.

top dog

Anvil,
Did you try using a scope without wearing your glasses?  Sometimes that makes a difference

I have always preferred iron/peep sights but now have sometimes taken to using a scope especially on my high end PCP 22 air rifles.

I think to realize the potential accuracy with that fine rifle,you would be better off with a scope but agian,it is what you are most comfortable with.

Top Dog

Anvil

I've always been an iron sights guy. I competed back in the day in IHMSA and all my handguns were open sights.
That being said, a precision rifle needs to be much more zeroed in, in comparison to knocking down a steel ram at 100 yds.
I'm rather unstable without my glasses so I'm leaning towards a scope to use with my glasses but I would need to invest in preciption saftey lenses.
Thanks for the imput!

Anvil

Quote from: Anvil on August-24-24 17:08I've always been an iron sights guy. I competed back in the day in IHMSA and all my handguns were open sights.
That being said, a precision rifle needs to be much more zeroed in, in comparison to knocking down a steel ram at 100 yds.
I'm rather unstable without my glasses so I'm leaning towards a scope to use with my glasses but I would need to invest in preciption saftey lenses.
Thanks for the imput!

Anyone here have a Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12×40?

top dog

Anvil,
Maybe you should ask your optician about a prescription lens for use with a scope?

He/she may have a solution for that situation.

Top Dog

Anvil

Quote from: top dog on August-25-24 05:08Anvil,
Maybe you should ask your optician about a prescription lens for use with a scope?

He/she may have a solution for that situation.

Top Dog
Yeah, I have made an appointment for 9/23. thanks!

top dog

Anvil,
Hope all works out OK with the optician.

I found that w/o my glasses,the red dot sight is a bit blurry but with glasses,things clear up.

Top Dog