Top 10 Concealed Carry Guns-.NAA .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver is ranked #1 in this article

Started by topgun, December-07-10 15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

topgun

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=40414">http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=40414

This article was published today by Mark Walters: A NRA Certified Instructor in three disciplines, a member of NSSF and GeorgiaCarry.org, and a vocal Second Amendment activist. He is also the nationally syndicated host of USCCA's weekly radio show Armed American Radio.  

He ranked the NAA .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver #1, because in his words "A concealed carry handgun does you absolutely NO good if it isn't carried!"

grayelky

Obviously a gentleman of high class, well educated and of superior taste in weapons....
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

heyjoe

It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

newguy

Careful there............. that could be interpreted as prohibited criticism..........

BAD BOY!!!!

jeffrey

Nice piece.  Even as I sit here typing this my Mag Mini is in it's pocket holster next to my laptop. Those CCI TNT hollow points are nothing to scoff at and I feel just fine having them on hand looking after my welfare.

ricart

While I switched to the NAA line,  & keep my Pug in reach at all times, I would have to say the NAA is # 1 only with some folks.  I would never say any gun is # 1 for all.  Mr. Walters as much as said the same.  I carry my Pug cause I got lazy.  At 73, that's my right.  I always found a way to carry my J-frame LW, my Beretta 950 and so on all the time.  It's just the Pug  and my B/W's are easy.  I would say if you go to a Kel-Tec forum, a J-frame forum, a Ruger .380 forum, and so on, just like this forum, some would say their choice is # 1, while others on the same forum would disagree.  Just for grabs, I also was a NRA certified instructor, a certified Police firearms instructor certified by the State of Texas, and could go on and on.  However, my opinions just as Mr. Walters, are not worth any more or less than anyone else's on this or any other  board.  Saying something  is # 1 has never impressed me.

zippovarga

I've always been of the opinion that a cavity shot with a 22lr or WMR will go in and bounce around, taking organs out with it where a larger caliber will enter and exit behind point of entry, only damaging what is in it's direct path. Personally....I'm very comfortable with my smaller caliber choice and the NAA I load it in. I have other larger caliber semi autos and revolvers that I could carry comfortably enough, but why? My Pug packs more than enough of a punch to stop the BG IMO, and it's much easier to conceal AND get to if needed.  

The Author of this article should be commended for simply speaking the truth about the best CC weapon available today.

umpire

Today my Minimag was # 1 ,as it is about 90% of the time ,cause thats what I usually carry.

The other 10% ,what ever I have on me is #1 ,be it, my P-3at or one of my snubs.

Being that the NAA line of Mini revolvers are so "mini", Its just so easy to have one on your person. Just like putting your socks on in the morning ,it`s second nature to put a mini in your pocket. Well, it is to me anyway

lohman446

Thats just it.  I have a P232 that I am sure is a better gun if things went badly and there are many other guns that would do better if you had them when things went badly all the way up to a shotgun or carbine.  The thing is my P232 is often not put on anymore and my mini nearly always finds its way into my pocket.  

Step 1)  Have a gun

Yes there are other steps, but the first criteria needs to be the gun you are most likely to carry (all the time would be nice).
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

snubsforme

I thought my Pug would be a summer only gun and now that winter is here I'd go back to my .38 snub.  It's not happening.  Since I bought a Madhat waistband holster, two months ago, I believe I have found year around concealed carry perfection.

redhawk4

Not the most exhaustive and scientific article, but at least the guy makes sense and echoes the views that are regularly posted here about the advantages of very small and easily carried guns vs larger ones that eventually get left somewhere, so they are not available when needed.  

I think the notion of saying any gun is #1 is flawed. Even with in my own collection there is no one gun that will always hold that position. It depends too much on other circumstances and what you percieve the threats might be. But you can pick a #1 for the majority of the time, for me that's my Guardian 380 the others including the BT get there turn from time to time.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

lohman446

Red you are right on that one.

My "normal" carry guns:

Mini-mag.  This is as much laziness as anything.  Drop it in a pocket and there we go.

P232.  This to me is the ultimate "belt" gun.  Flat, reasonably good stopping power, accurate and reliable.  Other people prefer other belt guns for other reasons, but when I am in town and carrying a belt gun this is it.

SP101.  This is when the road turns to trail.  I like the P232 but do not consider it adequate for hiking.  The SP101 (357 hard cast ammo) at least gives me a prayer against most animals.  Not as good as some other choices caliber wise but it fits my needs.

None of these fill the others roles as well as the one in it does.  Even though I carry the SP101 far less if I was to decide between it and the P232 and only keep one I would go with the SP101
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

usguns

Looks like the 22 Magnum Mini fits all Mark Walters criteria reasonably well except #4 since it's SA.  

Now, if NAA would somehow create a DAO version it would be perfect!  ;-)

quickdraw

Lohman I am with you on never getting rid of the SP101.  I can't say enough about that gun.  I am beyond pleased with it.  I carry it everyday, 3 inch version, without a problem.

lohman446

I went with the 3" too, I figured the extra barrel would help magnum rounds.  Since I don't see it as a pocket gun the difference in barrel length does not hurt carryability.

quickdraw

redhawk4

My "regular" carry guns range in power from 22 mag to 44 mag. I have circumstances where absolute concealability and lightness are paramount and times when the power to kill bigger nastier predators, in addition to 2 legged ones, may be needed. My larger revolvers and semi autos see "carry action" on the suburban streets, in addition to my Guardian 380 or BT, according to my perception of risk in the areas I must travel.

Recently when direct threats were made against me, I carried a pocket gun, a hip gun and had one in my vehicle that gave me easy access when seated. I don't think you can always be ready for every eventuality, but you can hedge your bets some by thinking ahead.

gop49684

awesome article... thanks for posting, my line of thinking is this, are there other guns i'd rather have if i have to shoot a bad guy? of course, is this much better then a sharp stick? heck yeah and you can always have this... its my american express i just never leave home without it.

ksblazer

Thanks for posting this link Topgun. I always enjoy reading top 10 lists. It looks pretty good to me. But I would have thought that the LW officers sized 1911's would have made it. They would deffinatly make my top 3 list.

dog_soldier

The list rather baffles me.  There are 4 Glocks but at #9 he says he included only the Kel Tec because it was the "grandfather" of all polymer .380's.

I assume that 1911 patterns have levers to flip but then so does his #5 pick,  the S&W M&P .45

Then there's the previously noted SA nature of the mini revolver.

Honestly I think he just wrote an article justifying his own personal collection of handguns.

jcoop1

xmp

redhawk4

If I lived somewhere and CCW was ever disallowed, I'd move to where it was.

With all the other problems prevalent in Illinois that would seem the sensible thing to me. I appreciate there may be family ties or similar, but I would never want to live where there are so may "liberal voters" that these restrictions of the 2nd amendment can occur, for a whole host of other reasons. I despise the kind of restriction on personal freedoms that inevitably occurs when the "do gooders" hold the reigns of power.

engineer88

I carry a p32 every day and when I cannot carry iwb a magnum mini goes in one of my left-hand pockets as bug.  Most days though, my glock26, glock30, or SP101 goes iwb as primary.  I have a day every now and then I do not feel like worrying about my shirt tail being down and all that and go all pocket carry then.  Otherwise I go with the larger dao variety of ccw choices I have available to me as my primary and the p32 as backup pocket carry.

grayelky

I think of my self as a "logical" type person. A top 10 list with a Glock 23 and a Glock 19? Think, people. They are the same gun, only different caliber! Glock 36 and a Springfield XD compact? Again, virtually the same gun. A Glock 22 and an M&P full size? The M&P is slightly smaller. Slightly. Why not just announce he has trouble making a decision and say he likes the 45 but not in a 1911 format? Has he drank from the Glock Kool-Aid pitcher?

I can't help but notice he has carefully picked 9mm, .40S&W and .45 caliber weapons, so as not to anger anyone. On his top 10 list he has the same mid sized gun in 9 mm and .40. Why not admit he likes the Glock family and can't make a decision? I hope this forum is not jumping on his bandwagon because he picked one of our favorites as #1. Go back and re-read his list, and think about his choices. He carefully groups all of the "little" polymer .380s together and says to pick your favorite. Sorry, I thought the title was HIS Top 10 Favorites. Don't cop out. If you like the KelTec, say so. If you like one of the others, say so. Grow a set.

One of the things S&W did with their M&P line of semi-autos was to make them available with OR without a manual safety. I suspect some police departments require a manual safety, most don't. This way, they can eliminate the Glocks and pick a Smith & Wesson for their contract w/o getting tied up  in a law suit. The gentleman is willing to break one of his own rules to pick a single action only revolver for some very good reasons. He is unwilling to do so to pick a 1911 style auto over a polymer, striker fired gun that is thicker and bulkier (my opinion), because it is too complicated for him to "move a lever"? Perhaps he should stay away from the 1911.

My last rant, and I will stop: A top 10 CCW -Concealed Carry Weapons - list with 2 full sized, departmental issue weapons for uniformed officers? He does indicate not everyone will agree with his list. I am confident it makes sense to him, but to me I fail to fully understand where he is coming from.

I notice in part of his bio, Mr. Walters is a member of GeorgiaCarry.org. This is really good group who do very good things for the people of Georgia. If you are a resident, please join. If you don't have the good fortune to live in Georgia, I suspect there is a sister organization in your State. Find it and join.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

lohman446

The danger of such lists.  

Glock 23 / 19

XD / XD 40

Kahr PM40 / PM9

Sig P229

HK Compact

Whatever I am forgetting

These guns all have more in common than different and any difference is really personal preference.