Sidewinder in Calif.

Started by xdshooter, March-18-13 08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

xdshooter

Is there any chance that NAA is going to re-consider their dis-like for Calif. and make the Sidewinder available to us??

cedarview kid

Doesn't the Sidewinder just need a longer barrel to be California legal? Or is it the "safety test" that's holding it up? (Pardon my lack of knowledge of bogus California gun laws.)

xdshooter

Quote from: xdshooter on March-18-13 08:03
Is there any chance that NAA is going to re-consider their dis-like for Calif. and make the Sidewinder available to us??

That's a good question.  I don't know.  Does the Sidewinder come in an 1 5/8" barrel?  I have magnum with a 1" barrel. I want it for CCW.  I'll have to call my gun dealer.

theysayimnotme

Just like the Earl, the Sidewinder would be Kalifornia legal if it had a longer barrel.
There is an exception to the list for single action revolvers IF they meet a minimum overall length.
This has already been noted by NAA & there was a promise that they intend to produce one SOMEDAY.

TwoGunJayne

WOW! You mean, for once, that I actually want a California version of a gun: The Earl and the Sidewinder, both with fat long barrels and the resultant higher velocity?

Unbelievable! I *NEVER* thought I'd live to see this day...

6"-9" usually gets the most "bang for the length" for many cartridges going by the numbers. Yes, a 16" barrel does give more muzzle energy, but it is usually diminishing returns past 19"-22". This is what I learned from a spreadsheet calculating ME and this site:
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/

Those are some ROCKING shooter-people. Simply glorious!

A 9.5" NAA? Yes, please! California will buy what Naa_collector, Uncle Lee, and I do not.

Kevin55

I believe it is a sales decision by NAA due to the crazy CA laws.  Every firearm model must pass the safety tests, which costs the manufacture.   ($????).   This is why there are only two models available in CA.  The 1-1/8 barrel models of the .22lr and .22mag.   You can't get the 1-5/8 barrel NAA revolvers out here.  Yes, NAA would have to pay to test the longer barrel models.  I would like a Black Widow convertible, but they are Not sold out here.

Edit: by longer barrel models, I meant the 1-5/8 barrel.  The 1-1/8 and 1-5/8 barrel lengths require separate testing, although the action is the same, which adds expense, which is why there are fewer models for sale in CA.  SA revolvers with barrels over 4" don't need to be approved.

theysayimnotme

Negative. The Sidewinder with a longer barrel would NOT have to be tested or listed on the approved list. There is an exception for single action revolvers over a certain minimum length.
The Earl & the mini-master are already available in Kalifornia because they meet that requirement.

Kevin55

Quote from: theysayimnotme on March-19-13 00:03
Negative. The Sidewinder with a longer barrel would NOT have to be tested or listed on the approved list. There is an exception for single action revolvers over a certain minimum length.
The Earl & the mini-master are already available in Kalifornia because they meet that requirement.
I should have added the exception of SA revolvers with barrels over 4" or longer.  Otherwise, I believe my statement is correct.

The Sidewinder with a 1" barrel could be sold in Ca if NAA paid the cost of having it tested, which won't most likely won't happen until production picks up.  They sell minis with 1-1/8 barrels, but only two models.  There is no reason they could not sell the SW or BW in CA other than the testing expense, unless the older models are grandfathered in to a lower testing standard.  I'd like a .22mag with a 2 to 2-1/2" barrel.  At 4", the barrel is too long, unless I was buying my fourth mini and I don't shoot that much anymore.  I have a Ruger MkII for target shooting.  The whole point of a mini is to be small.

Some companies, like KelTec have stopped selling to California due to the politics, costs of the safety testing, and design requirements.   Here is the approved list.  http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

cedarview kid

Quote from: Kevin55 on March-19-13 07:03
Some companies, like KelTec have stopped selling to California due to the politics, costs of the safety testing, and design requirements.

My guess is that this was the original intent of the liberal gun grabbers in California and that they are laughing right now because firearm choices in their state are diminishing. What they DON'T understand is that people are just buying something else, so it probably doesn't limit the number of firearms in California, but rather just the number of brands available for purchase--essentially just creating a voluntary ban.

theysayimnotme

I wonder if you could buy a mini-master & ship it back to NAA & have them install a Black Widow or Pug barrel?
That should be perfectly legal IF NAA would do it. Of course that would cost a LOT more.

boone123

Thats a good reason to own a hacksaw. Cut the barrel down and then have a gunsmith install a new front sight.
I belive that sometime back there was a picture on this forum of a BW with the barrel cut down.

G50AE

I remember reading several years back about NAA using White's Labs to test their firearms.  I was impressed with the thoroughness of White's Labs in their testing.  In a few tests they stated that the state's requirements were ambiguous and used what they judged to be the stricter standard.

NAA's firearms passed all of the tests with flying colors.