Tritium or White Dot?

Started by johnlane, May-15-13 19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlane

I want to buy a Pug.  I really like the look and size of the Pug.  The problem right now is the only way to see one of these in real life is to buy one.  So I need your advice - which is better, the white dot or the tritium?

I was kind of leaning tritium, but it is really hard to say without seeing them.

blue_heron

Tritium.
I have the tritium on my pug, all my Glocks and my Karhs.
The large tritium for the pug has a white outline.

Uncle_Lee

I will vote also for tritium.
But remember that those pretty bright (in the dark or twilight) spots will start to become dim and be gone in around 12 years.
To a young person that is a long time.
To old folks, that is too darn quick.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Maccab

I had a tritium sight on my automatic rifle, it wasn't that good though.

A Pug, small gun... Designed for "combat" use i.e. For shooting people, hmmm...

At short ranges though, and presumably in a hurry.

White dot.

Maccab

Metal stud, no sights.

If your having a "stand off" popping cap session at each other or one way, go away lark.

You'd be better with the sidewinder, with tritium sights and pug grips in my opinion for reloading purposes.

Aimed shots, five is it... Not alot.

Maccab

A black widow, version of the sidewinder would be better for "shooting" purposes, surely.

i.e. if your reloading, the Pug is designed for plugging your opponent rapidly up close in the hope it provides a satisfactory solution to the confrontation surely.

The swing out cylinder must be better for reloading.

jw1128

Tritium.
You know your orientational in the dark, which is where you are more likely to be in a spot where you need your weapon.  plus on the pug is only makes 20 bucks difference.  But you can also buy them after market, you need a tool to install them correctly though.  I have the tritium on my pug, and carry it always, also on all my glocks, looking for them for my other semi autos as I have funds.

Dinadan

I have the Pug with tritium sights. I think the tritium is more a cool thing than a useful thing. If a person is in the dark and needs to shoot someone, then the range is probably going to be too short to need or have time to use a glowing sight. On the other hand it does not harm anything to have and it is cool.

Much more important is to get a LR cylinder, in my opinion.

RogueTS1

Tritium for sure. It makes picking up the front sight in less than bright light a bit easier. In bright daylight it does not make a difference.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

johnlane

Thank you for the advice.

Maccab

They look cooler, I'd buy them  :)

grayelky

Tritium.

The white dot is a better aiming point, if you can see it. Criminals rarely operate in daylight or under street lights. At the distances these guns are designed for, it would be rare for the sights to make a difference, BUT, the trits may give you a slight advantage in the rare case.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Maccab

ikoiko

Maccab
Laser is really only available to relatively few. The top mounted one seems to be relatively fragile.

cfsharry

I think Dinadan is right about both the 'cool factor' and questioning the usefulness of Tritium sights under the conditions you would most likely have to draw your weapon.  If something happens requiring your needing your gun it will happen fast, most likely without warning and it will be up close and personal. If you survive, you will probably not remember using your sights.  Bottom line though is; do whatever makes you feel good.

bigdave74

Hi,
30+ years ago I was looking over a fellows S&W model 29.  The front sight was great.  This thing glowed bright orange.  I asked who made the sight, he smiled and told me it was finger nail polish.  At that point I gave the sight a very close look and it was painted on.  Since then for sight projects I use Testors Paints, many bright colors and one little bottle last years.

.54Cal_Kidd

And far more sturdy than white out. 
Never underestimate the delusional power of irrationality.

Arrogance isn't the same as stupidity, but it tends to have similar results.---David Drake

mdzcpa

Tritium.

Even under fast draw conditions at short ranges the aid of the tritium is worth it. Your eyes can pick that up in the dark in a fraction of a second even for point and shoot circumstances. Your not trying to draw a bead, just make sure you barrel is pointed at target.  White dot will offer nothing in low light conditions. I have a PUG with Tritium as my back up carry. I practice with it and it is remarkably useful at 5-7 yards and effective out to 10 yards for me.  If your willing to practice with the PUG is can be a great back up carry, or your primary if you cannot carry anything else. It's more easily concealed than the BW or SW.
Mike
PUG , Black Widow, Sidewinder

G50AE

Tritium, I can't see any disadvantage other than cost, and I can see (No pun intended) how the increased visibility of a tritium sight could be a tactical advantage.

TwoGunJayne

In the bright noon sun, having worn "night vision goggles" to simulate darkness, I can say with confidence that anything to increase visibility of your sights is a big fat plus. What's the downside? That the bad guy sees your sights? What? In your pocket?

You're not walking around with it drawn under light discipline conditions.