fluting

Started by plinker631, June-04-13 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

plinker631

I have a gjn design question. Outside of it looks good..
Why do they flute a cylinder? Is it weight reduction, heat dissaption? Or what?
Someone asked me that and i had no real answer.
Thanks...LARRY
So many guns; So little money!

45flint

Weight reduction

Uncle_Lee

I vote on looks.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

bud

On the old single actions, it made them easier to turn the cylinders to load the revolver.

bigdave74

It's like an I-beam used in construction, a solid bar the same size is stronger but the added strength does not out weight the savings in weight.  Other factors also true, easier to grip, the appearance, but what I have been told is it was first started to save weight and material.

45flint

Quote from: bigdave74 on June-05-13 06:06
It's like an I-beam used in construction, a solid bar the same size is stronger but the added strength does not out weight the savings in weight.  Other factors also true, easier to grip, the appearance, but what I have been told is it was first started to save weight and material.

Was Colt the first to flute the Blackpowder Dragoon, very heavey gun, I am sure to save weight. 

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: 45flint on June-05-13 07:06
Quote from: bigdave74 on June-05-13 06:06

Was Colt the first to flute the Blackpowder Dragoon, very heavey gun, I am sure to save weight.

Maybe, but that is not a mini.
They took off enough weight from a Dragoon cylinder to make a mini.
It would take a small scale to weigh the metal taken off the mini cylinder from the flutes.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

G50AE

Actually I think the main advantage of Flutie is that you can send him in on a PAT attempt, force the other team to call a time out, and then have him kick the ball and you don't even need to have anyone hold the ball because he can drop kick the football.  8)