Any derringer guys here?

Started by ksblazer, December-25-10 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

louiethelump

To post a photo here, you have to save it from photobucket to your computer, and then load it here from your computer, one at a time.  Do you know how to save it from photobucket to your computer?

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bleak_window

I love that Four Aces 4-shot .22 of Bill's.  What a classic!

redhawk4

I've always had a hankering for a Derringer, but that's yet to turn into buying one. Personally in 22 calibers the NAA's have them beaten hands down having 5 shots versus 2, often in a smaller package. When you go to the bigger calibers you start to get to Guardian 380 sizes and then to J frame dimensions pretty quickly, again only having 2 shots against 5 or 7. I've always liked the idea of the Bond in 45, but when ever I see one I realize what a monster it is and realize I would have little if any use for it.

I love the classic look of the Derringers and Bills collection, certainly appealed to the heart. I'm sure one of these days I'll see one for the right price and get one, but for nostalgic reasons rather than for carry. The Derringer is probably one of the few cartridge gun designs that has not remained relevant over the years, the concept and design has certainly been surpassed for SD purposes. When you think about it arguments are always raging regarding revolvers vs semi auto's but you don't see anyone suggesting a double barrel as a better alternative to either. Got to love em though
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

coinchop

Bill>

I have a Four Aces 4-shot 22 short like yours,

new in the box. Not engraved. Haven't looked at it for years. Might have to get it out and check

it out. Wonder what its worth in todays market?

The place that made them also made a couple of  

other small guns. I think one was a small single

shot and the other was a little larger. You could

get a hunting knife with a sheath  

with a holster sewed to the front of the sheath

that held the little single shot, if I remember

right. I think the larger gun was called the

Pony Pistol.  I wish I had bought every thing  

they made at the time. They weren't around very

long...

Over the years I have seen two of the 4-Aces,

but nothing else they made. One of the 4-Aces

was at a gun show for $50 bucks that I missed,

and the other was in a pawn shop for somewhere

over $350.00 because they said it was old. The

guy got mad at me when I told him it was made

in the 1970's. I think he thought I was lying

to him.

bill_deshivs

I have owned a couple of the "Little Ace" single shots, but have never seen the "Pony"-though I have looked for one!

After Svendsen went out of business, the .22 LR version was picked up by HJS Enterprises. It was made in stainless, with a different grip.

I would think a "4 Aces" would bring $250-$350 to the right person.

fordfan

The Bond Arms definately have a "cool factor" to them.  

Does anybody have any idea to what kind of penetration you would have on a BG using .410 buckshot load, like 00 or 000buck? Maybe in a household range, ten feet or so?

Seems to me that my 4" Earl with 22 mag would have better penetration, just wondering.

docglock

4.25" .410 barrel (3" chamber) mounted, .327 mag on left, .22 on right.  The .327 is a real handfull, but .32 H&R was a  

powderpuff in it and .32 S&W long was almost like shooting the .22.

Davis .32 acp below for size reference.

bud

BBill deshins, VERY NICE!

grayelky

Fordfan-

I suspect the penetration would be very similar to the Judge, maybe a little less.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

fordfan

Ok thanks Grayelky. I didn't think the penetration would be that great.

And I am very sorry to read about your cousin also. I don't understand the human brain's thinking when needlessly taking someones life. Terrible.

jcoop1

I used to have a Davis derringer in .38 special, man the recoil hurt like the dickens sold it after one time of shooting it.

cedarview kid

First time out shooting my .38-Special Davis Derringer, I had a colored arc of back and blue in my palm after shooting about a half box of ammo (about 24 rounds). My hand was pretty sore for a few days. I never shot that many rounds at a single shooting ever again. LOL.

Dar

GeorgeH

I have 1 ADC model 1 in 357 mag and a HS derringer in both 22 mag and 22LR.

I like derringers. The Davis/Cobra versions are actually closer to the actual 41RF version. ADC and Bond are far, far larger but carry a  more potent impact.

airplinker

I like the small cobra/davis but I wish they would do away with that cheesy fake barrel rib. Just make it solid on top.

mndoug

I posted this pic in another thread, but this one is more appropriate.  The craziest derringer I ever bought (and I still have)...  

The American Derringer Model 1 in .44 Mag caliber.  I shoot it once a month, then it goes back in the safe.  Ouch!  

BTW, I'm looking to sell it if anyone else would like to own the pain for awhile.

grayelky

Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

airplinker

zippovarga

I like my Davis 22WMR and 38 Special, but they are a far cry from being my daily carry. Heavy hammer springs and unreliable firing tendencies, just to name a couple draw backs. I had a 9mm Cobra that was the same way. Pot luck firing.  

I'll stick with my Minis any day of the week. Lighter for the most part and we have one helluva talented holster maker that keeps our Minis well protected and at the ready for just about any carry option imaginable. Speaking of...Jason.....have you designed a shoulder holster set up yet??  

Happy New Year Everyone!!!! I hope 2011 brings prosperity and happiness to all!!

silvershooter

I shot the Bond SS IV with positive results yesterday. Since learning from the video that the bottom cylinder is aligned with the iron sights/and the top cylinder has to be aimed way low, I was very pleased with my accuracy. I used both some 45LC and tried the newer Federal .410 buckshot(4pellets)"handgun" load. At self-defense distances the buckshot clustered nicely in a head-sized spread.

While still not a pocket gun IMO, the heavy 4" is pretty sweet. It was cool and comforting holding this "unchangable" tank of a handgun. Way above any Taurus in terms of quality.  

My wife, having much smaller hands than me couldn't get a positive grip/trigger reach figured out though; and my father-in-laws second shot failed when he tried to pull the trigger straight back(I had to remind him about the downward motion) before it went bang again.

I could definitely see BOND and NAA merging someday if one ever decided to sell to the other. I don't see the designs competing, but rather fitting needs within the same self-defense/collecting/sport categories.

mndoug

Grayelky: Thank God for .44 Specials, or I'd shoot this less than I do.  It handles just fine in that caliber, no pain or blood at all!

Bubba

how much are you looking for on the .44 Mndoug ?
Those who adapt control the future
Gun Websites