Ruger Shopkeeper and LCR random comments

Started by Dinadan, January-29-13 17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinadan

This afternoon I went by a gun shop which I had found very helpful in a recent purchase, and asked the proprietor if he could order a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper for me. He does use Lipseys, but when he checked availability, he found that they are "allocated," or perhaps the word was "allotted" and he does not do enough business with Lipsey's to be on that list. Oh well, I will give it a while and try again.

He had a Ruger LCR .22 in the case, so I took a look at it, and asked if he minded if I dry fired it. No problem he says, so I tried that trigger action, which I have read is unusual. First time, kind of a nice double action pull, second time; nothing. The action broke the first time I ever pulled the trigger on a LCR! I have been tempted to get either a .38 or a .22 LCR, but that one incident will probably keep me from laying down $420. The proprietor seemed quite surprised, and brought out another .22 LCR for me to try, but I declined to put it to the test, since I was definitely not going to buy it!

bleak_window

The LCR trigger can malfunction if the shooter does not allow it to fully reset.  This is covered in the manual.

G50AE

Here's another reason why I would rather purchase a Glock.

bud

I bought a Ruger LCR .38 and really like it. IMPO, I'd rather have a revolver than a pistol, in other words I'd rather have an LCR than a glock for personal protection.
I can't figure out why a .22 Ruger is more than a .38 LCR though.
After putting myself out on a limb with saying that, I will confess that a small 380 pistol is easier to pocket carry than a small 38 revolver. ;D

rubicon_rog

I was looking at the Ruger LCR in 22 mag too, until I read this review  http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_LCR_22WMR.htm

In the last paragraph he recommends the NAA Blackwidow (which I already have and carry) over the LCR 22 mag. I am still interested in the LCR in 38 special or 357 Magnum though as the trigger felt good when I dry fired them.

JES14352

I have a Ruger Shop Keeper and it's one of my favorite guns. It will be going to my granddaughter some day.
STUBBORN AS A MISSOURI MULE.......

Dinadan

I am still interested in getting a Shopkeeper, but I have developed a couple of other fixations that distracted me. I want to see how one feels in my hand before I order.

boone123

I have held a shopkeeper in my hand, and  I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grayelky

Ruger disappointed me with the 6 round capacity in the LCR. IT could have been 8 just as easy, maybe even 9. That would have been a much more interesting self defense weapon.

I had a Shopkeeper in the store for a while. I was glad when it left, as I was mighty tempted to have it converted to .22 mag! $100 plus shipping, and it would have been a dandy little gun!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

TwoGunJayne

I'd have bought a 10 or 12 shot .22 mag LCR 3".

Since USFA ditched their 12-round .22 revolver, there's a hole in the market. Ruger really, really dropped the ball on that one. Almost the same exact tooling would have yielded a .22 lr version, too.

Oh well. Plenty of other guns out there. Maybe Kel-tec will make the PMR-30 available in quantity someday... with a Republican President and Congress... once Reid, Feinstein, and others finally go to their GREAT FANTASTIC REWARDS AND CASH PRIZES. (or at least GTFO of politics) When everyone tries to buy it, buy it all, and buy it now, it makes it really irritating to get a hold of the more interesting makes out there.