I am in love

Started by quickdraw, January-21-11 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

quickdraw

As I have thought about the kimber solo a couple of questions:  Would that thing have a pretty significant spring in order to handle the 9mm.  I mean if it is the same size as the P238 then what have they done to make it handle a hotter load?  Would it be more sensitive to limp wristing than a .380?  Would you guys shy away for the first run on this gun?

wildtim

I don't know if the p238 is a locked breach design or not.  For 9mm it must be (to have a gun this size and weight), this means, though, that they can use a lighter slide and recoil spring than a straight blow back .380 so the slide pull should not be to heavy.

Edit:  Just found a disassembly/ function video and the 238 is a locked breach/delayed blowback design.  No wonder I like the 232 better I'm simple.

grayelky

As in most every new design, I strongly suspect there will be some "details" to be worked out. Surely Kimber would not have any design flaws...

I suspect they would use a spring within a spring, like the 3" 1911s do. It will require either a very heavy slide or a stout spring, or a combo of both.

All autos are subject to limp wristing. I suspect with stout recoil, it be more noticeable. I suspect this was a part of the reason KelTec quit making the P40 (a P11 in .40 S&W). Talk about stout recoil!! They got a lot of the P40s sent back for jamming, and the smiths could find nothing wrong with the gun.

My heart says jump on the first one I can find, my head says give it 3-6 months.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

quickdraw

That is where I am at.  I want some youtube videos and range reports before I do anything.  I have sold to things and sit ready to make the purchase.  I called some local dealers and they said if I placed order now it wouldn't be till mid-summer before I got it.  As posted in original post, what to do?

lohman446

The problem I run into with this type of gun is "use".  To me the LCP pushes the boundaries of a pocket gun, it still is but barely.  I waited for the S+W bodyguard auto to come out and found it just a touch too big for pocket carry.  

Once you get past pocket carry you are at the small belt gun level.  Now this might be ideal for some people but, if truth be told, 1911 controls are falling out of favor as a belt gun for the majority of those who carry, especially wiht more liberal carry laws.  

Those who are going to belt carry a 1911 control style are most likely (IMO) of the "its not a real gun if it doesn't start with a 4 and end with a 5" group".  

Not scientific of course, and obviously there are those who can't wait but it strikes me as a very small niche to fill.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

sleddogn

i'm right there with you quickdraw, i'm going to buy one, just about to figratively pull the trigger on one. I've seen the 8 week till available message at impact guns where i might buy one. I live 5 miles from Bud's guns, one of the largest gun sellers here in the U.S, and i emailed them about the solo, and they never got back with me, so thats why i'm thinking of impact guns out of utah..

yncrogers

I handled one (the non stainless model) at the LGS a couple of days ago.  It wasn't for sale - they were taking orders.  HATED IT!  Feels like a cheap piece of #$%!.  Plus the thumb safety is so small it is difficult to operate.  I will stick with my Kahr PM9.  I compared the Kahr next to the Kimber and they were virtually identical in size.

redhawk4

Lohman, you must have small pockets if an LCP is the limit - you're not wearing girls skinny jeans are you  

Once you go to belt carry, you may as well go for something quite a bit bigger in my expereince, as it doesn't seem any more difficult or uncomfortable to carry, but in a scrape will mean you have something more effective on board. Also once you go to belt carry size guns, in my expereience, you end up with a lot of guns spend a lot of time in the safe and little on the belt. For everyday life I love pocket carry.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

westerly1965

Regarding Belt Carry Redhawk.  When you say that do you mean IWB or OWB?

quickdraw

Ok I bought a Kahr MK9.  I will show pics when I get it.  I will wait on second run of Kimber.  I am a happy owner of a CDPII in 9mm so I have a Kimber to satisfy me till it is a solid machine.

redhawk4

I carry OWB, my pants are too full of me for IWB I'm not fat but my jeans just don't have that much free space. I can carry any handgun I own concealed on my belt with just a shirt covering it without issue including my Ruger Redhawk 4" 44 mag. A combination of being 6' 4" and the right holster makes it feasible. Any discomfort from carry usually is caused by the grip end of the gun as it can poke or rub against the midriff. It seems within reason the size of handgun doesn't effect this too much so a J frame on the belt, isn't necessarily comfier than an L or N frame.

westerly1965

Right on was just curious I usually carry IWB strongside that is one of the reasons that I like the Guardian so much.  In the peoples republic you have to be really careful just being legal isn't necessarily enough to stop the hysteria LOL.

cookieruffruff

fordfan, ford/chevy...... i'm one of them old dodge geezers...dodge =dirty old dog gettin even  lol, sorry could'nt resist...... hehehe      ruffruff

bud

Cookieruffruff, glad to see you making some post here again!  

Is your operation all healed up?

redhawk4

Westerley, I can get a Guardian IWB in my suit pants and have a holster that came with it and have done it once. I prefer pocket carry if the gun is small enough. OWB works better for everything else but we're all different.

Where I'm from pants mean your underwear so maybe "inside the pants" holsters have a different subconscious meaning for me. I still find my self, when people anounce they are just going to change their pants, wanting to ask "why, did you do have an accident?" A "shart" could play havoc with a gun carried in such a manner.

westerly1965

Redhawk LOL that cracked me up.  I like the Guardian IWB as I barely feel it.  One of the reasons I'm looking at the Bersa's is because I think I might be able to carry that the same way.  Prolly end up in a Galco exec shoulder rig like I have for my 40.  Very comfy even if you have to wear it all day.  Just gotta be careful about lumps and bumps or god forbid a grip stick out when you live in Kali some of these people are pretty weird about guns.  I have actually had to ask several of them if they have ever seen a gun jump out of a holster and shoot somebody....

redhawk4

I'm always conscious not to give any clues that I'm carrying. I think it only good sense and good manners not to cause concern to others, some just because they don't know me or others who just don't like guns. It serves no purpose for me to be in their face with it.  

I do however draw the line when a guy asks me "is that a pistol in your pants, or are you just pleased to see me" from saying I'm pleased to see him just to cover up that I'm carrying - there is a line you know

snubsforme

http://www.handgunworld.com/">http://www.handgunworld.com/

I too was getting a little excited with this piece, but after listening to the above I'm going to pass.  Give it a listen and see what you think.

quickdraw

Snubs that is a good review.  The best I have heard so far.  I to am not comfortable purchasing it.  Though there seem to be many good things, his reasons were valid.  Like it said, I went with the MK9 and it will be here tonight.

catbird

The Kimber Solo sure is a handsome looking pistol.  Although it's not in the same category, the only Kimber I have is an Ultra Carry in .45 ACP.  It is every bit as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup Nat'l. Match.

I would definitely buy a Solo after they've been out awhile, however I'm not real sure what advantage it has over my Kahr PM9 (below) which has been ultra reliable with a super trigger.

quickdraw

My Kimber is definitely super accruate.  I have the 3 inch CDP.  Wow it points great.  Sounds like it is the same with the Solo.  Just can't afford to be a $700 guinea pig.

westerly1965

Nobody actually wants to be a 700 dollar guinea pig do they?

quickdraw

Whoever buys the kimber will be.

westerly1965

Lololol that's true.

sleddogn

well keep laughing at me then, cause i'm the guinea pig here i guess. placed my order a few days back, now just waiting. sure there may be issues, but i really wanted it, and will report back in a month or two when it actually ships....

quickdraw

I am eager to hear!  Truly.  I want it to be a success.

catbird

Quickdraw commented:

"I am eager to hear! Truly. I want it to be a success."

That's exactly how I feel; I am hopeful.  The better the customer reviews, the sooner I'll be able to get mine.

sleddogn

yep, i'm super excited, i was really about to go for the ruger lc9, and this one just seemed nicer.

westerly1965

Ohhh glad somebody got one I can't wait to hear your review on it.  I like the gun to but its a little out of my price range..