I am in love

Started by quickdraw, January-21-11 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

westerly1965

Quickdraw I think you should buy it!  But hey its not my money so its easy for me to say that.  That said that looks like it is available in Kali so its entirely possible that I might be in love to!

snubsforme

Yeah, I'm very impressed with it.  Like I say, "Snubs for me!"

But, I have to admit the brand name gives me a little concern.

I've seen alot of complaining about Kimbers over the past few years.  I hope the gun gets glowing reviews so I can feel okay with the price tag.

westerly1965

What's the price tag?  I didn't see it.

coopercdrkey

NAA Black Widow
Bersa T380
NAA Guardian .32
Henry H001

quickdraw

I have a kimber cdpII in 9mm with 600 rounds through it and haven't had one Failure to feed.  With that said it is the same size as the Sig P238 and I trust Kimber more than Sig.  How about I get it and give everyone a review?

westerly1965

I think thats a great Idea Quickdraw.  If you give it a good review well all by one lol.

redhawk4

That's nice, all metal too - just needs some wood grips IMO.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

redhawk4

Small too, larger than a Rohrbaugh but still would work great in a pocket holster. The grip looks big enough to keep it under control too and the sights look more than adequate. It will be interesting to see one in the flesh, photos are always a little deceiving.

I see they have them listed at $655 on line, for the SS model.

lauraslookout

I have a Kimber CDP Pro II in 45acp. It's the crown jewel of my meager collection. Jim

quickdraw

Redhawk where did you find it for $655?  Stainless is definitely the way to go.  I wish my CDP was all stainless.  I am a little disappointed that it didn't come with meprolight sights.

redhawk4

Impact guns said they could order one for that based on their web site, on back order though.

Stainless model is a misnomer on these though, because according to the Kimber site both models have aluminum frames and stainless slides, the only difference on the SS is not having the black frame finish, unless I'm missing something.

fordfan

Dumb question...what does it mean by single action (Kimber website)for the Solo as compared to my DOA Ruger LCP.

Thanks.

bobt

A single action auto pistol needs to be cocked with a round in the chamber in order to be fired. Each subsequent round will cock and load the pistol until the magazine is empty. This type of pistol usually has a much better trigger than a DAO pistol. I liked my Colt Commander and had little problem hitting 2 L plastic water bottles at 60-70 yds.

sleddogn

i too have been drooling over this gun for about 2 weeks now. the only thing i don't like so far, is how thick it is, its a little thicker than the new ruger lc9

quickdraw

Still pocketable.  I carried Sig p238 in the pocket and it is .1 thicker.  Doable if you ask me.  However, one must hold it in the hand to really decided.  I am going to be showing up at a couple of places that carry kimbers to see it.

stainless1

Sweet gun.  I bought a 1st. generation Kimber compact, stainless .45ACP. in 1999 and have been carrying it since I retired in 2003.  It's accurate, easy to conceal (and it's a 4"). (I use a IWB holster) My only complaint is, the end of the stainless bull barrel started to pit because it extended a bit past the leather of the holster.  This was apparently caused by the perspiration or salts from my body.  This says something about the stainless steel used by Kimber in the barrel.

fordfan

Thanks Bobt. Then the double action only would be safer to carry then I suppose. The Solo would have to have the saftey on when having a round in the chamber.  

I think this was disscussed on another thread, I'll have to go look for it.

grayelky

The Kimber Solo is a striker fired pistol, so there is no hammer to deal with.

Your Ruger LCP has a hammer. Unload it, and once EMPTY, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger. Now, look at the rear, into the slide. As you are looking, move the slide to the rear and you can watch the hammer come back to a "ready" position. Again, while watching, pull the trigger. You can see the hammer come back and release and go forward. If you pull it slowly, you can see how thin the hammer is. This is why the gun does not need a safety. The hammer is too light to strike the firing pin hard enough to cause it to fire unless it comes all the way back and is then released.

A single action auto does have an external hammer. It has to be manually cocked the first time it is fired. The slide then moves the hammer back and cocks the gun, readying it for the next shot.

Quickdraw-

I have a kimber cdpII in 9mm with 600 rounds through it and haven't had one Failure to feed. With that said it is the same size as the Sig P238 and I trust Kimber more than Sig....

I am not sure I understand your post. Is the Kimber Solo the same size as your CDP II? I have a CDP II in .45 and love it. I was hoping the Solo was going to be smaller. If you are saying the Solo is the same size as the Sig P238, then, I will have one!!! Sorry I am confused, can you help me? Thanks.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

wildtim

quote:

A single action auto does have an external hammer. It has to be manually cocked the first time it is fired. The slide then moves the hammer back and cocks the gun, readying it for the next shot.

There are a few single action autos with hammers completely enclosed by the slide. S&W .22 autos are one example.  They're rare especially in larger calibers but it is something to watch for, especially if you have concerns about carrying "cocked and locked"

quickdraw

The Sig p238 is the same size as the Kimber Solo.  The CDPII is bigger than both by a good bit.

fordfan

Thanks Greyelky. I always research the exact gun I plan on purchasing before I purchase since I only have a limited amount of knowledge on gun designs. I have never delt with a stiker fired weapon yet.

grayelky

Fordfan-

Glock is the most "famous" of the striker fired guns. Just about all of the major players have at least one striker fired gun in their inventory nowadays. (PS- Get a Chevy, you will feel better! )

Quickdraw-

Thanks for clarifying for me. I love the little Sig P238. The only reason I don't have one is the poly .380s are a little better for pocket carry, and I feel the Sig needs a belt holster. Now, a 9mm the size of the P238 will find a home with me as soon as I can lay hands on one.

fordfan

Ok thanks, I have fired a glock my Dad owned. It was a really old 45auto. The polymer bowed out some the length of the slide, but it functioned perfectly. I remember cleaning it after firing it a few times before giving it back but I didn't pay attention to the internals. I prefer my cars to run like my guns...good. But we better not start the Ford-Chevy thing..lol

redhawk4

"I prefer my cars to run like my guns..."

I'm imagining a lot of backfiring here? Not how I like mine to run, but each to their own

grayelky

Fordfan-

When you rack the slide on a Glock, you partially move the striker to the rear. A pull of the trigger moves the striker all the way to the rear and releases it, firing the gun.

ricart

Hey Gray, you say to pull the trigger on a Ruger LCP once empty, therefore indicating a dry-fire with nothing in the chamber.  My Kel-Tec .32 said under no circumstances should the gun be dry-fired as such.  Doesn't Ruger also indicate this?

buford_efurd

Nice gun and I think that is a fair price. I paid over $1000 for my Springfield Armory EMP 9mm a few years ago.

grayelky

To be on the safe side, follow the makers recommendations. You can use a snap cap or a fired case to cushion the firing pin. This is just my thoughts, and I am not a trained engineer nor a gunsmith. I do not think it can hurt to dry fire a gun 2 or 3 times. However, to be on the safe side, if you do not feel comfy, do not dry fire it. Use a snap cap. The directions regarding the LCP also apply to the KelTec. You can see how small (narrow) the hammer is, and realize why it cannot fire unless it comes all the way to the rear and has the energy of the hammer spring to strike the firing pin hard enough to ignite the primer.

fordfan

When I shoot the LCP I forgot how many rounds have gone and since the slide does not stay back after the last round I have had to fire one last time to ensure no rounds are still in the gun. Esentially dry firing I guess, I hope I haven't hurt anything in the gun.

sleddogn

i'm a member of an LCP forum, and its widely talked about that ruger says its ok to dry fire the lcp. i can confirm that per manufacturers instructions, its ok to dry fire the lcp.

fordfan

Thanks Sleddogn.

sleddogn

no problem fordfan, glad i could help. I know guys who recommend racking the slide and dry firing their lcp hundreds of times to "break in" everything, its a good way to get familiar to the long trigger pull on it also.

lauraslookout

The Solo sure looks like a winner. I do wonder how stout the recoil will be getting 9mm power from a 380 size pistol. Jim

sleddogn

oh and go check out the elise pea forum, lots of good peeps there like here, to talk about the lcp and lcr and lc9.