saw a lot of .22lr, .22 short, and .22wmr at Gander mtn. today.....

Started by luke1, February-28-14 20:02

Previous topic - Next topic

luke1

....and no I'm definately not plugging for gander Mtn. by any means, as I generally find their prices to be absurdly high for my area (SouthEastern MI.) and I have a good relationship with my LOCAL gunshop, but the fact is, that it was quite surprising to see so much .22 of various flavors.

Money's tight, so I just picked up four 100 rnd. boxes of federals for $6.99 a piece.

Considering how things have been, it was a total shock to see so much of it.  sadly, I didn't see any bulk packs of 500 or anything...how's the hunt for ammo been for the rest of you??

Goatpacker

Not back to normal down here in Texas but the last few months have been a lot more relaxed. The 2 box per day deal is almost gone now.

Hasbro

Hey Goatpacker,

I am not used to where to find and respond to but found you here.........

I do like the looks of your holsters.  So you don't do custom holsters huh?  Well, these sure don't look too shabby for an amateur. ;)  I like the one on the right the best.  Can you make belt loops to go with 1 1/2" belt?  What color choices would I have?  I love black, but am told the color comes off easily on light colored clothes.  So if black is not a good choice, then the darkest color you can stain would be fine.  And I do think you deserve to be compensated for your work if the product is pleasing to the eye and functional as designed, thus I'd be happy to pay you something  (your call) for your services and would be very pleased to give a good shout out to any and all.  If you wish to write me on more of a personal note, you can contact me at [email protected].

Kind regards,
Loren  (Hasbro)

RogueTS1

Quote from: Hasbro on March-01-14 15:03
Hey Goatpacker,

I am not used to where to find and respond to but found you here.........

I do like the looks of your holsters.  So you don't do custom holsters huh?  Well, these sure don't look too shabby for an amateur. ;)  I like the one on the right the best.  Can you make belt loops to go with 1 1/2" belt?  What color choices would I have?  I love black, but am told the color comes off easily on light colored clothes.  So if black is not a good choice, then the darkest color you can stain would be fine.  And I do think you deserve to be compensated for your work if the product is pleasing to the eye and functional as designed, thus I'd be happy to pay you something  (your call) for your services and would be very pleased to give a good shout out to any and all.  If you wish to write me on more of a personal note, you can contact me at [email protected].

Kind regards,
Loren  (Hasbro)

The fix for black or any color leather holster for that matter, is to wipe it down really good with a shop towel as soon as you get it home and then use a spray can clear sealer to seal it in. Takes about 2 quick coats and all is good. The color never comes off after that, at least so far it has lasted over 14 years.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

theysayimnotme

If I ever paid that much for .22s I certainly wouldn't tell anyone about it.

luke1

is there a sin in paying $6.99 for a box of twenty twos?

I beg the forgiveness of the forum for buying overpriced ammo at Gander mtn.

Goatpacker

If I had none and needed it there is no telling what I would pay. Kinda like gas, if it was $10 a gallon would you stop buying it? No, you would prob really cut back but you would buy it so you would have it when you need it. No apologies needed as far as I'm concerned.

TwoGunJayne

I miss 50 stingers for a couple of bucks. I found a box of 100 cci short caps yesterday. It's sad when I find more ammo in my junk where it's not supposed to be than I do in the stores.

Goatpacker

It is sad. Several months ago me and my boys had a "Round Up" at the house and came up with about 100 rounds of 2lr that were loose in drawers, on top of dressers, in the consoles of trucks, under the couch, in hunting coats. This was just the loose stuff, did not count partial boxes. Came up with several rounds of centerfire as well.

I'm happy with the supply I have for now but will keep looking and buying to replace what I shoot and to obtain just a little more for comfort. I have plenty of the primo rounds of mag and lots of quality lr as well as specialty ammo. I'm concentrating of gathering the cheaper bulk stuff now to play with.

TwoGunJayne

Exactly. Play day hasn't come for me in over a year. It's been hunting, trapping, or careful practice only, and not much of that.

Every time I burn a round, in the back of my head I'm thinking it's 1 round less that might not get replaced anytime soon.

If nothing else, it's pushed me towards pellet rifles, cold techniques, and reloadables. Oh yes, and black powder. The newbie panic-buy hoarders don't seem to know about this stuff.

redhawk4

Quote from: luke1 on March-06-14 18:03
is there a sin in paying $6.99 for a box of twenty twos?

I beg the forgiveness of the forum for buying overpriced ammo at Gander mtn.

That's not a bad price if it's the better quality stuff in the plastic case, they go for more than that at Walmart. That ammo is much better quality and more reliable than the bulk box stuff - so you pay your money and take your choice. I bought a box of that at Walmart a few weeks back, yes it was more expensive than bulk, but I wanted some consistent ammo to check an ejector repair on a semi auto rifle. A lot of the bulk stuff seems to contain the odd squib load or whatever that throws your testing off - you're never sure if it's the gun or the ammo if you have a finicky gun.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

luke1

...exactly, redhawk.

What I saw on the shelves were plastic cased CCI and Federals, not the (previously) cheap .22lr-by-the-pound good ol' days cardboard box stuff.

The whole Sandy Hook buying panic didn't entirely take me by surprise (I don't like surprises), because I'm real big on plan b, c, and d.  I've got my stash of .22lr, and mag safely locked up, because I figured that this country was one event away from a run on ammo.

In the same token, mama didn't raise no fool.  Spring is around the corner and I can't wait to drop some brass with the wife, so if I see it on the shelf, then chances are that I'm going to buy it.  I'm certainly not going to be ashamed of being smart and prepared.  I also know that plenty of people seem to be paying a whole lot more for there ammo on places like gunbroker. wish you all the best in finding some/more...

tocsn40

Quote from: TwoGunJayne on March-06-14 19:03
I miss 50 stingers for a couple of bucks. I found a box of 100 cci short caps yesterday. It's sad when I find more ammo in my junk where it's not supposed to be than I do in

yes I know what youmean  I was in the trunk of wifes car and fou.d a brick of 22s I forgot I had them lol
Tocsn40