.22 LR Mini....Stinger or Velocitor?

Started by stantheman86, March-07-14 01:03

Previous topic - Next topic

stantheman86

Is it just me or does the Stinger seem more powerful than Velocitor?

I just got 100 rounds of Velocitor, I had been carrying Stingers in my Mini for almost 2 years now....I heard so many good reviews about the muzzle energy of Velocitor, I loaded up 5 of them and test fired in my back yard range. I expected some hand thumping kick but they weren't that bad....they definitely seemed powerful but Stinger seemed to kick more.

Ironically the worst "kick" I've experienced out of the mini was from CCI Sidewinder standard velocity, not sure why....heavier, slower bullet?

What is the general consensus?

Does the heavier Velocitor bullet produce more energy than lighter, faster Stinger? Is the Velocitor better out of shorter barrels?

I cleaned my mini and put 5 Velocitors in it, and its sitting loaded a few feet away from me right now.

I still can't get away from Stinger being the "old standby" for .22 LR defense rounds.

SteveZ-FL

I like "old, reliable" Stingers.  I know what to expect, there's a lot of ballistic info out there on them, NAA provides good data on them and I can find them easier than other brands. 

An extra couple foot-pounds (if they exist) isn't squat.  Having confidence in what I fire has value.  Besides, all of this "one-shot stopping power" stuff is misleading.  Who is only going to fire one shot?
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

TwoGunJayne

Stinger and Velocitor: Both are good. That's probably two of the best ever .22 lr rounds ever made.

It's like arguing between Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Stingers are more likely to turn into the famous "lead pancake" from a long barrel. Velocitors are more likely to give better penetration.

Kentucky Kevin

Quote from: SteveZ-FL on March-07-14 06:03
Having confidence in what I fire has value.  Besides, all of this "one-shot stopping power" stuff is misleading.  Who is only going to fire one shot?
If "they" get to fire a shot, I might not be able to. I practice to be able to deliver " A third eye " at anticipated distances. I will know practice to be able to shoot groups at 25 yds t be able to deliver rounds at the 25 feet distance to my front door from the coach
Jesus loves YOU all of you
"Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves."

cfsharry

Stan,
The Velocitor is better by a whopping 2 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, 69 vs 67.
A site I have recommended before and feel to be important, if you seriously want to understand what you are shooting, is Balistics by the Inch. Check out the site and if you think what they are doing is worthwhile send them a couple of bucks to help them in their efforts.

czpug

Just picked up velocities for the wifes SR22. Its what she uses as her ccw. I used to use stingers though but decided I liked the weight of the velocitors better. For what its worth the stingers say they are "varmint" rounds while velocitors are "small game" rounds. What's bigger? A varmint or small game? Is a rabbit both? Lol!  :o

blue_heron

Personally I prefer the CCI-Stingers and have used them long before the internet and YouTube. 

Speaking of which-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogMbj07emc