Input on Bersa's?

Started by westerly1965, January-25-11 12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

westerly1965

OK was at the range with my wife the other day and the shop has some Bersa .380 thundercats for sale at a very reasonable price.  My wife handled one and really liked the way it felt/pointed and the action is easy enough for her to work.  I have a couple of friends that have them and have run several thousand rounds through them trouble free.  Any of you guys have or have shot any of these?  For the price I think I might buy us a matching set of them.  Plus they are PPK clones so the PPK holsters accessories etc all fit them.  And .380 is one of my preferred calibers so I have tons of ammo around already for them.  What do you think?

fdm

I do not think Bersa makes a Thundercat, bubba.

stove

Bersa makes good inexpensive stuff. I don't own 9mm or .380 pistols (prefer 9x18) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bersa product. I've shot a Bersa thunder before and was very impressed. I've also had several students buy them for CCW and have been happy.

Have you checked out the Thunder Concealed Carry?

lohman446

IMHO Bersa makes one of the best value guns out there.  For most people the Bersa 380 will do everything the PPK or Sig P232 will do at a fraction of the cost.  I have even heard people say the trigger is better.  I know people who carry them and shoot them fairly regularly.  I like the P232 personally, but part of that is vanity (I like no external safety as I switch between it, a G23 and a revolver).  

I think a Bersa is one of the best value guns and a great gun for what it is.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

stove

Westerly, there are plenty of Holster options made for the BT too. I carry my Makarov in a Don Hume Holster made for the Bersa Thunder.

BTW: Bersa does make a Thundercat it's just not a pistol. Wow, never seen a typo on the internet before.

westerly1965

Yea I guess it is a Thunder .380 apologies for my typo that doesn't usually happen to me lol.  Of course the very last thing I would want to do is offend FDM with his high level of intelligence and spelling capabilities.  Sounds like they are good guns guess I better buy a couple.

antares_b

Westerly, if you get one (or two), please post a review/range report. I've always been interested in Bersas myself. The only thing holding me back is reports that the finish is not very durable. Other than that, people seem to really like them.

westerly1965

Right on Antares I will do that.  Finish durability hmm I guess I hadn't thought about that but they would be primarily range guns so that shouldn't be to big a deal for us...

stove

I've never had a stainless pistol's finish wear, maybe that's an option. Not sure on Bersas.

snubsforme

I found the Bersa Thunder .380 to be a fabulous gun.  I owned one for four years, carried it for three.  I fired over a thousand rounds with zero failures of any kind.  The recoil, for a blowback .380, is mild.  I bought a PPK/S thinking it would be an upgrade, it wasn't, misfires and harsh recoil.  Then I just had to have a Sig 232, for the same reason.  Wrong again, twice the money and painful recoil.  Both gone in less than three months.  I was working second shift alot in those days and my wife wanted the Bersa left out for home protection.  She especially like the trigger.  It was my favorite range gun for a couple of years.  As you can see, I can't say enough good things about a Bersa.  Buy it, I have no doubt you will be talking just like me in less than a month!

grayelky

I have never owned a Bersa, but have sold a lot of them. I keep at least one in the shop, as my experience with it and females mirrors that of your wife: They like them, as do men. The gun is not heavy, and the ergonomics fit a very wide variety of hands. They are easy to operate and seem to be very reliable. I have never had one come back due to a problem with the gun. Every one I have ever dealt with has had a better trigger than the Walther they resemble. Don't stop with the .380 Their other guns are equally as good as the 380, and they make 9mm, 40 S&W and a 45 ACP.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

lohman446

You know Snubs you bring up a point.  My dad carries a Bersa and has for years with absolutely no problems.  I have not shot it in a long long time but I never noticed the recoil to be bad.  While I like my P232 I do note when I shoot it that the recoil is noticeable especially for a .380.  I always attributed it to the direct blowback design.  Now that you mention it though I never had that thought with the Bersa.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

jcoop1

I just bought one this summer and I love it! It is an easy gun to shoot and is pretty accurate. I would recommend them to anyone. My problem is trying to find ammo for it.

mndoug

I've owned a Bersa .380, and I LOVED the thing... it was my favorite pistol to shoot.  (Sold it to raise some $$$ - not much, because it was cheap to buy in the first place.)  It was an all-black model... pretty indestructable.  That's the one I'd go for (skip the two-tone.)

Accurate, lightweight, fit my hand well... I'll probably buy another one someday!

I did have one minor problem with it, but it got fixed under warranty within a week.

Go Bersa!

redhawk4

I suppose it might be obvious, but I was surprised looking on their web site that they make revolvers too. I've never seen one to my knowledge.

No personal experience of Bersa's, but I've never heard a bad word about them. I'm thinking of buying one next time I see one going cheap, I'd like another 380 and 9mm, they might fit the bill.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

westerly1965

I hadn't seen the revolver Redhawk good call.  Maybe I'll have the shop order one for me I bet its affordable just wish it came in .357.

wildtim

A friend of mine actually had the larger compact in 9mm and that was a very nice shooter too, especially if you find the more common .380 to be small for your hands.

redhawk4

Westerly, the revolver looks a little agricultural on the surface and pretty hefty at 24oz, but it is a six shot.

I'd like to see one, or hear from anyone who owns or has experience.

westerly1965

Yea I noticed that to Redhawk.  The guys at the local gunshop are pretty cool.  I am going to try to get them to order one so I can look at it before I buy it.

redhawk4

If you're still not sure you can always buy it and let me do an extensive test and range report.

Let us know if you manage to catch up with an example. I've certainly not seen one in any of the gun shops I frequent, although most seem to sell the 380 semi autos.

franco22

I own both a 380 Thunder Deluxe (blued model with extended 9 round magazine) and a 380 Concealed carry which is the slightly smaller melted version of the Thunder 380. Both have been very reliable and fun to shoot. They have great triggers and are a great value.

stove

The Firestorm .38 Revolver looks like a 6 shot Colt  Detective Special or Cobra clone. That could be pretty cool.

kwb

Having owned one Thunder,IMO it is one excellent firearm. Not the greatest overall finish,but in all other areas that count,a pistol you can count on. Mine had about 500 rounds fired and never digested a factory load. Very reliable with not one FTF or FTE. The single stack model feels great in my slightly larger than normal hands-I shoot left and right equally as well.

As a pure shooter and for non-carry for someone that reloads,possibly the most fun to shoot weapon I've ever owned.