Newly cased set of Break-Tops

Started by 45flint, July-09-11 07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

45flint

Ended up biting the bullet and bought a very nice case for casing my Break-Tops.  It actually is a cufflink case with curly maple top and very good lock.  It came in suede cloth so I went with it.  Styrofoam underneath molded to guns.  All I had to do was make that fold by the grips to have it lay pretty flat. In the pictures the suede cloth looks a lot darker than what was in the case. In person really not that noticable.  Was going to French Case it but probably going to say good enough.  Last cased set I am making.  

Steve

cedarview kid

Wow, sweet job. I'm guessing MY two break tops would fit nicely into that case. ;)

calvin2

chopprs

......nice.

You should send them both to Otto Carter and have him do them right!

http://www.ottocarter.com/revolvers.htm">http://www.ottocarter.com/revolvers.htm

45flint

I actually thought about it and sent him an email and it was never returned.  Doubt I would want to tie that much money into these, enough already.  

Steve

45flint

Naa send me your Mastodon grips for a week and I will see how they work.  Thinking that tan suede and the Mastodon would be very nice. May want to go primitive with actual leather, oh yes.  You might have a hard time getting them back. This pick give you better feel for cloth colors.  

Steve

chopprs

.....call him! His number is on the site. You may be surprised what he charges and how much it makes the guns worth. You would have THE ONLY ONES!!!!!!

45flint

I have actually gone full circle on grips.  Really didn't like the standard grips but now I am liking them more and more, kind of like keeping them all original. Want to make maybe an engraved brass plaque reading "North American Arms Break-Top" "From Early Bird Special #114 to the final run of 500 #501"  Not sure yet?  It would be nice to tie in the history of the last year. Suggestions welcome. I know I need a life but this is fun.  

Steve

45flint

My wife found this crushed velvet at the fabric store today, had to get rid of the two tones of suede. Probably a wrap.  

Steve

bleak_window

That's the keeper.  It's a beautiful set.

cedarview kid

I think mastodon WOULD like nice inside this box. And I DO like the idea of leather. That's getting me thinking.... ;)

45flint

Seriously you could get a thin suede and put it with the mastodon grips and you have a great match.  Suede cloth would be a little easier but I think you are probably as nuts as I am when it comes to these things.  Actually mastodon has a great attraction for me cause one of my main hobbies is making arrowheads, flintknapping, same time period.  

Steve

cedarview kid

When I was a kid in eastern Utah, we used to go out hiking in the hills and we would actually find real arrowheads. I guess if you did that now, they'd arrest you for looting ancient artifacts. We would also occasionally find ant beds with colored beads in them, which the ants would bring up from underground.

The farm where I grew up was taken from the Ute Indian Reservation in 1906 and placed into the homestead lottery, which my great-great grandfather homesteaded in the same year.

So, yes, mastodon and suede leather. Sounds nice. I'm a big fan of leather, wood, and iron. :-)

45flint

Mastodon killer.  Also stealth weapon, no metal detector will find this baby. This ought to successfully kill this thread.  

45flint

Probably killed my own thread but if you do work cases this crushed velvet I got from Jo Ann's Fabric is very nice as it just seems to mold to the impressions without bunching up like I have seen with other cases and with other fabrics I have used.  French casing is putting a thin matting over the top to hide these imperfections.  No need with this stuff.  Also the case in person is far nicer than the pics, especially the cloth, pictures just don't do it justice.  

cedarview kid

That IS nice fabric. AND a nice spear point!

Dinadan

Nice display case. Also nice point. Maybe I am atavistic, but I have always  

felt a desire to measure myself against sabertooths and mastodons with  

something like that. Does that spear point have anything to do with your username?

45flint

Yes but I was younger then