NAA Mini Revolver Side Plate Removal (and hopefully re-installation)

Started by argleargle, January-13-12 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

argleargle

I've been warned not to touch the side plate on a mini.  I've noticed that NAA "charges extra" if you send them a revolver with side plate removed for them to put it back together.

This tells me that someone who doesn't know what they are doing will cause damage and most likely never get the plate back on correctly.

Questions:

1. Why would someone remove the side plate?

2. What does one do to put it back on?

3. There's nothing that corrodes under that plate, is there?

tocsn40

My first and only time was 22 or so years ago and I did it so I could see how it works. STOP do not do it for that. I lost parts and had to order them. They sent two as it was a very smal spring about the size of a paper staple. It tool me to try's to put it back together and both springs. Never did find those dam things. That mini went to my first born son when he turned 19. The side plate has not been of in over 20 years and the gun works without fail. If you want to see whats under the Plate look at the exploded view in book or on the web
Tocsn40

argleargle

20 years, and about how many rounds, tocsn?  Ballpark is fine, just curious.

chopprs

As a regular user of an NAA revolver there should be no reason that you should ever have to remove the side plate. Inside there are several very small parts that can be difficult to get back in due to the nature of the assembly as well as the tiny size of the parts. The main spring can be replaced by anyone with relatively menial mechanical skills by simply removing the grips and the cylinder. Then put the gun in a vice with aluminum or "soft" jaws and use two small needle nose pliers from either side of the grip frame to manipulate the flat spring. The main spring is the weak point of these guns as has been mentioned by the manufacturer time and time again. Any time a gun is sent to the factory for any reason they will replace the main spring. Some last a long time and others do not. I have never had to replace any of my own but have done so on other's guns. It is very easy. My Mini-Master has thousands of rounds through it and still fires well with the original spring, no FTFs. I can notice a difference though between it and a new gun......

argleargle

My .22 short mini has had its side plate off twice by NAA after I bought it.  Let's just say it's been through a lot and still works well.  Two trips for major repair.  Two cylinders, new hammer, don't know what else exactly.  Round count?  No clue.  

Those repairs aren't something I would have attempted personally, particularly with the warranty.  I'm just trying to learn more on a deeper level about a subject I like... little tiny things that go bang.

Anyone know the procedure for timing a mini cylinder?  Informational purposes only.

tocsn40

I went out every weekend the first 2 years then at least 1 time a month for 2 more years no less then 100 rounds a trip. 1000snd rounds did have the mane spring replaced put as chop. ... Said under the cover alls well. Tryed to trade son out of that gun 2 month ago. He said no
Tocsn40

zippy

Listmates,    

This is my first post here.  I just recently removed the sideplate on my BlackWidow (doh !), and lived to tell the tale (barely).  I ended up here looking for a schematic (which was helpful).  Then at length, I made a jig of wood and nails to give me some extra hands.  It can be done.  But I REALLY don't recommend it.  

I lost the "staple spring" twice and recovered it only by miracle.  One time I spent about an hour looking for it.  I was persistent, because I "knew" where it was.  Finally, just as I was about to give up, I saw it dangling under my workbench, caught in a gossamer spider's web.  The spring is that small and light.  Total time of work, 8 hours, over two days.  Number of times attempting to reassemble 10-20.  Number of times reassembled, but cylinder would not rotate, 2.

Interestingly, though I have carried this gun in a pant pocket for about...2,160 days, over the course of 12 years, without ever removing the sideplate, there really wasn't that much crud inside the gun.  Certainly nothing that would impede its function.  My advice to others is to just blow it out with compressed air and CLP, and be on about your way.  If it stopped working for some reason, then I'd send it back to the shop.  Lesson learned for me.

Best,

Zippy

louiethelump

Welcome to the board, and a lesson learned early is leared well.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

zippovarga

I've had the side plates off a number of times through out the years, for thorough cleanings and I've not had any troubles, but having a machinist background has it's advantages. I don't suggest anyone try it either. Not unless you're accustomed to working with very small parts and are mechanically inclined.  

Welcome aboard Zippy!

pdenny

It's been a while since I've had one apart but if I remember right, poking a punch through the frame and reassembling the parts on it works well. Then it can carefully be pushed out with the screw, as it's being reinstalled. Also, doesn't the screw have reverse threads?

Denny

Uncle_Lee

I cut off a nail and use that to assemble the parts on.

Yes the hammer screw has left hand threads.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

chopprs

If you want to clean the internals there is no need to take it apart. Brake Cleaner from your local Auto Parts store will work great. I think even once a year is a lot though...

DO NOT use WD-40 as it turns into gum in no time!

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )