Cerekote sidewinder?

Started by beachmaster, March-24-15 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

beachmaster

Hey guys, I was thinking that someday it would be cool to Cerekote my sidewinder, but due to the design of the cylinder, I am thinking that it might be difficult/ impossible to do it without some serious gunsmith knowhow.
And it would probably (definitely) void the warranty.

Any thoughts on this?

MR_22

I have a friend who does Cerakoting and I think the biggest issue you'll have is getting the Cerakote to stick to the stainless steel. The Cerakote, as I understand it, requires a little bit of a rougher surface to adhere to. I know others have done Cerakoting (or something similar?) to NAA minis, as we've seen them posted here before.

See:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/?category_id=49

I'm sure there are others done as well.

grayelky

I don't think it would void the warranty, but before I ventured into, I would call the factory. As with any coating or custom work, plan on getting less than half your investment back when you sell it, and then decide if you want to have it done. Of course baby poop green with red polka dots may make it even more difficult to sell. Just something to bear in mind. While you may consider your color choices to be tasteful, others may see them in a slightly different light.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

beachmaster

Resale value is very low on my considerations list. Although something could happen, and I could be forced to sell, it is unlikely, and there are other firearms that I would sell first.

My concern with te sidewinder is that the cylinder is held on the pin by means of a push pin that looks to be ground off and sealed, making it difficult or impossible for the average guy to remove and replace.
So if I wanted to having  the cylinder completely done, and the pin, a gunsmith would have to take this pin out, and replace it.
I am sure a normal mini would be very easy to do, but the sidewinder is a bit more complicated in this area.

MR_22

I think the Cerakote is quite thin, although I have no experience with it. Guns I have seen have had small parts coated and they still function. A friend of mine is currently getting an FFL-07 in preparation of becoming a gunsmith, so he can start a Cerakote business. I'll ask him.