My Early Bird special arrives today

Started by 45flint, March-10-12 06:03

Previous topic - Next topic

45flint

With all the talk of Early Birds, there is another way of getting one.  I have been late to the game with NAA and my first purchase was an Earl with serial number #15XX, bought at a local gun store because I had a credit I had to use.  Getting today a Early Bird Earl from Louie to be its mate.  Gives me two early birds now.  Pictures to follow if it arrives on time and I make it over to my gun shop.

22man

always nice to see pics of earls.....

congrats on your new adoption

i started my naa quest with blackwidows, but the Earl solidified my naa hobby

45flint

Louie sent me the early bird Earl today.  It got the Mammoth grips the best I have.  Actually these two boots are my favorites and since I got the double holster's from Zip, I just had to fill them.  Actually the BT started me on doubles, one to shoot and one to remain unfired and my second Early Bird the hard way. I now have doubles on all my mini's except for the Spanish Fork long barrel. Just trying to be like Uncle Lee but he is a hard one to carch up with.  Steve

Uncle_Lee

The Earls got me started also.

I was into black powder replicas bad and the Earl looks like a tiny 1858 Remington. (not an 1860 Colt)

They look sooooooooo much better with those grips though.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

22man

Man Steve those grips, holsters look great together in the last pic.

Two eyes, two ears, two kidneys, two hands, 2x2 into noahs ark....only makes sense to have two earls

The last pic with a black background instead of red would really pop. Makes me wanna go pick up some colored posterboard and take some snaps of my collection.

Thanks for posting.

45flint

Looks like your Madhats have the 10 bullet loop design.  Zip didn't tell me till after I bought these that they were the 9 loopers. LOL Never know when you will need those extra two shots.

Uncle_Lee

It looks like the snap on your holsters cut your number of rounds down to 9.

I didn't have my second 17HMR Mini Master when I got my holster for it.

Now I have two revolvers and only one holster.

God, Country, & Flag

louiethelump

Nice looking setup Steve.  Glad my Earl has found a good home.

I appreciate the smooth transaction!

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

Uncle_Lee

Dog gone it Steve.

I keep coming back to this post.

Those grips look sooooo good.

Right down real cowboy looking.

I am eat up with envy. (I know it is a sin but that is the way it is)
God, Country, & Flag

45flint

Thanks much.  I think the Elk really does look like it came off the Plains.   There is just so much time and effort in these.  I wish I could Chong them but that isn't going to happen.   Steve

45flint

I am in the planning stages for the mother of all NAA cased sets.  I blame Louie for selling me this Earl which gave me a double set crying for presentation.  I promise to seek professional help for my addiction after it is complete.

Uncle_Lee

So sorry Steve, you are now beyond any help.

Before long you are going to be knee deep in little black boxes in white sleeves.
God, Country, & Flag

45flint

Lost the bid on the case I needed.   The mother of all cased sets will have to wait.

zippovarga

The 9 round MadHat holsters were of the first he produced. Has nothing to do with the snap, as he later added the 10th round to all the Earl holsters, snap/strap or no snap/strap.  

Those grips look AWESOME in the holsters Steve!! Much better than the stock boot grips.

45flint

But I think Uncle Lee has a point I don't know if you could put 10 on with the strap.  With the leather tie there is more room.  You take a much better picture than I do.  Its a shame Jason is not back making these, his holsters are as much a work of art as the guns really.  In my new cased set I was planning to csse the holsters with the guns.

Uncle_Lee

I think the holsters are just as much a part of the set as the guns.

The pistols without the holsters is like cake without icing.
God, Country, & Flag

45flint

Won a pistol case on eBay today that will now gives me the makings for mother of all NAA cased sets.

glenn

Hey 45  ... I, for one ... would sure like to see "Before"  &  "After"  pictures of this new case !   I LOVE fancy wooden boxes !

g
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

Uncle_Lee

I want to see the pictures also.
God, Country, & Flag

45flint

Case arrives busted, this build seems cursed.

45flint

Get refund on busted case found another one and now it's on the way.  This is either third times the charm or an eternal curse.

glenn

Sucks about the busted case 45 ... still wanna see any & all boxes.   I've been thinking about building one for my Mag .. my short & my new Sidewinder.

Outline the guns on appropriate thickness of board ... then router it out .. line with felt ...  Would be easier to make just an insert for an already made nice box.   Have I seen something like "Spray-On" felt for lining a box like this ?

G

45flint

I will show you how I do it but if I a French style case I will get a styrofoam block and fit to bottom carve out gun places overlay with velvet.  If I need to dress further cut hard cardboard with all the shapes overlay with felt and put over original felt and foam.   English make compartments hard to know till I get it.

45flint

glenn

VERY NICE 45 !!!   I guess I like the French the best.

g

45flint

Third time is the charm.  New case arrived and it is solid mahogany!!  Very good shape and that mahogany will really pop when hand rubbed.  Interior was stripped out which is fine I would have done that anyway. Will need a brass engraved plate on top.  Placed guns, holsters, bullet block to see how it would look.  I am thinking black velvet would be the ticket/

45flint

Styro foam cut and impressions carved in, so positioning final.  Laid black velveteen cloth on top to see how it works. I think it is the best with the color of guns and holsters.  Will put black felt foam covered pad in the top of case.  Actually most of the hard stuff done.  The mahogany cleaned up amazingly well. Very beautiful wood.  Hope to finish over the week end.  

45flint

Got the bottom done went very fast, except for now just laid the velveteen in the lid of the case need to buy some foam.  Need to figuire out what I want to say on the brass plate. Looks like a cased set waiting to roll west on a wagon train.  

ikoiko

Really really nice.

Really nice.

cedarview kid

glenn

SWEET !!!!!!!!

"EARLS Of Yore"

45flint

Brass plate?

North American Arms

"The Earl"

Holsters: Jason Smith

Grips:  Steve Kitchen

Box was such a home run $30 bucks on EBay came from a former Smith and Wesson employee.   The mahogany just is over the top.  Didn't come with a key so that may be the final quest to this project

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

flowder

45flint

Second case I have done with "velveteen" (I think they called it something else) rather than the the more traditional stiffer velvet.   Get it from JoAnne's Fabrics and it is glossy velvety but thinner and stretchier.   Conforms to the carved out spaces without having to be glued down.  Tucks easily into the edges.   Makes for a very easy job compared to the more formal Colt French case I did.   Used the same method for my Breaktop case.    Hard to beat it.