New Sidewinder information

Started by harkamsu, April-15-12 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

harkamsu

I asked a guy from another forum to take pics of the Sidewinder and ask a few questions for me, after I found out he was attending the NRA St. Louis show. The price is 350 (that much we already know), and the .22 LR conversion will cost 80 bucks. Release is scheduled for June/July. I have two pics, but I will wait to post them until I have the guy's permission. It's a good pic because the gun is in his hand.

EDIT: Posted links to pics below.

chopprs

....you certainly have "MY" attention!

cedarview kid

If it has conversion, I'm in for two of those, too!

Winner, Winner, chicken dinner! Er, steak is good, too.

harkamsu

chopprs

Nice execution of Engineering. The stress points look right. If the few proposed aesthetic canges come to fruition I think an amazing thing may happen.....I can't find anything wrong with it. I know I will hear from the clowns on the forum but my statement is a true Engineering observation. A professional observation! From the pics shown and the intended changes proposed I can not say that I would change one thing.  This does not happen often as my employ is pretty much to find fault with any given mechanical subject.

......KUDOS SANDY!!!

glenn

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

shadowofleaves

XS sights and a pair of Chong Vang's grips would surely seal the deal, IMHO.

glenn

Thanks Hark !

My friend that was sposed to get some pics at the show .. said the place was so packed that ya couldn't hardly walk around.  He never made it to the NAA booth.

Toot Toot !

~G
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

heyjoe

very nice harkamsu....thanks

im in. i havent been excited about a gun purchase in about 7 months. im excited about this one.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

harkamsu

If they will be available in June/July, I suspect we'll be hearing about the early bird in the next few weeks.

Or so I hope.

45flint

I think the conversion makes this one even more exciting.

tranquilo

The prototype looks like it has the 1&5/8 inch barrel.

I hope that stays in the initial production.

RogueTS1

I would like to see the XS sights and a bit shorter barrel. Other than that I like it bunches. I could live without the sights but the barrel..... I am not too sure of.

Wait.... just saw a better angle and the barrel, while still prefer a bit shorter, is still 1 5/8" and could be tolerated. The way the pics were angled it was starting to look like 2" which I could not use.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

45flint

Looking at these picture I think it would look better with a polished barrel and polished crane.

Uncle_Lee

I will be happy with any barrel length up to and including 9 1/2"(and conversion cylinder).

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

grayelky

The 2 pics shown above seem to have a higher level of polish than the standard production guns. That would be a nice change.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

harkamsu

They're still protos most likely since they didn't have some of the mentioned changes like rounding the area where the crane pivots on. The general design direction seems good though.

theysayimnotme

I can't find the requirement in the DOJ website but according to the Ruger list of the DPRK (Demokratik People's Republic of Kalifornia) legal handguns it will need a 3 1/2" barrel & 7 1/2" overall length. I thought it was 4".

They might as well make it legal in Canada as well.

They wouldn't all need to be this long but one version could be.

heyjoe

j frames arent legal to buy in california?

harkamsu

I wouldn't mind it looking like a giant Pug with a 1 5/8 inch barrel.

theysayimnotme

Heyjoe: Single action revolvers that have at least five chambers & meet the minimum length requirements do not have to be on the approved list. That saves the manufacturers mega bucks & made it possible for NAA to sell the original Earl in Kalifornia. If they meet that requirement they could do the same with the Sidewinder. Since there is also some similar requirement for Canada they might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I'm not saying they should all be that long, just a DPRK special model.

uncle_harley

the chong vang grips wont fit it with out modification. would be pretty simple though  to cut off and smooth out the intergrated recoil shield from the grips, that is what I plan to do at least.

heyjoe

okay they say. i wasnt sure how california worked. so if it is over 7 1/2 inches it doesnt have to be on the approved list or is automatically on the approved list? the j frame would have to be submitted by smith and wesson because it is less than 7 1/2" ? am i correct in my deductions?

westerly1965

Theysay ~ Kali state law says four inch barrel and 7.5 inch overall.  I have the statute somewhere I will find it and post it for you.

heyjoe

Westerly if you keep posting at the same time as me the rumor is going to start that we are the same person.

westerly1965

Heyjoe ~ The size exemption is on single actions only.  The J frame is on the approved list but as it is double action must be submitted for testing.  Wait we aren't the same person....I'm confused lol.

harkamsu

So I emailed a certain blog that shall remain nameless to see if they could get a pre-production sample to evaluate. I was told the guy already had a production version on order. This makes me wonder if the early bird will be coming up sooner rather than later.

That or members of the online press get an even earlier early bird.

shwurr

I live in sunny CA. It irritates me to no end that I can't buy my idea of perfect handguns (Pug, 5" Ruger GP100, etc.) I understand gun companies not wanting to buy into CA's draconian bulshit but am curious what it actually costs to certify.

Steve.

theysayimnotme

They not only have to do it once but they have to renew it on some regular schedule & each version has to be seperately tested & a fee paid for.  

I was pretty sure the barrel length was 4" but The Ruger website says 3 1/2". I tried the DOJ website & couldn't find it.

grayelky

Being able to order a production sample for testing does not necessarily mean getting it sooner than we will. It just puts him in line to get one-as we are, more or less.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

westerly1965

Theysay ~ LOL both the Ruger website and I were wrong on this it is actually a barrel length of not less than 3" and an overall length of 7.5 inches.  California Statue 12133 and this is what it says.

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code. (b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

theysayimnotme

Even with the statute # the DOJ website is useless. I also tried "California statute 12133"

in a search engine & that was useless also.

To get to the 7 1/2" length the barrel would have to be at least 3 1/2" & it would have to have larger than standard grips. I have oversize grips on my Black Widow & it measures less than 6".

lewiss

Another picture is on Jeff Quinn's report on the NRA show at Gunblast.com: http://www.gunblast.com/NRA2012.htm">http://www.gunblast.com/NRA2012.htm Look down toward the bottom of the report on the right side for Jeff and Boge's picture. I didn't see that Jeff mentioned NAA in the video reports. The only part of the gun that looks slightly clumsy is the crane, and that might be because the finish prevents it from blending in better. All in all, an exceptional effort. I'm ready to order!

chopprs

heyjoe

i wonder how long it takes jeff quinn to braid his beard in the morning?

i wouldnt mind jesse taking me out shooting.