Okay Lets Hear It! Speer Vs. Hornady .22 Mag Short Barrel Ammo. Let's Hear Your Preference.

Started by gebe, April-15-12 18:04

Previous topic - Next topic

gebe

I've read all the threads on the Speer & Hornady "short barrel" .22 Mag defensive rounds.

Lets hear from the folks that have used both and which they prefer.

This is like a poll, (which you can't do on this board), but what's you favorite?

I'm leaning towards the Hornady but want to see what others say that have used BOTH!

grayelky

I have used both. I give a slight edge to the Hornady, and I emphasize "slight".
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

heyjoe

i give the edge to speer only because they have proven over time to be more reliable than hornady. hornady has had reported problems with hard primers in their centerfire ammunition for over a year now. i know that doesnt necessarily carry over to their rimfire ammo, but i personally feel more confident that speer will go bang when bang is what you really need to hear.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

gebe

I kind of knew that there would be opinions right down the middle!  

Keep them coming but I'm still leaning towards the Hornady as I like their nickel casings and their 45 gr. bullet.

bleak_window

I have both but I carry the Speer because they don't make any dumb zombie ammo.  Not yet, anyway.

Uncle_Lee

Hornady

I can't find Speer around here.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

pioneer

I have both, and both give excellent performance.  My initial box of Hornady Critical Defense .22 magnum, produced a 20% failure rate.  I called Hornady, and they asked me to sent it to them.  It was replaced at no charge with two boxes from another lot, which are 100% reliable.  (I posted the "bad" lot number on an earlier post on a similar topic.)
Retired police detective
US Navy Veteran
Life Member NRA / SAF
United States Constitution c. 1791, all rights reserved.

mndoug

To me the deciding factor would be what bullet the casings are sporting.  The Speer TNT bullet is the nastiest one I've seen so far (the hollow point expansion).

Lots of members here have done tests of various ammo brands.  Here's one I did some time ago.

greyeyezz

Had about 8 misfires with the HCD last week. Will be calling Hornady.

22man

That's 8 too many for 'critical defense' ammo. Care to share further details on the depth of the hammer dent on the brass edge?

CCI/Speer for rimfire SD ammo is the way to go imo.

peeshootah

I shot my way through a box of 50 HCDs that I got online about a month ago.  New gun (which means a new spring) and they all went bang.  

So far so good

peeshootah

I took the Widows to the range and shot up another 50 rounds. They all went Ka-Pow.  

They are still working for me...