Blue burl grips

Started by 45flint, April-29-12 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

45flint

Finally got to the Blue Burl grips.  Pretty well formed but no grip screw yet.  Not sure I will have the end point that long but want to live with it a little. Kind of like the idea of curving it more like a old flintlock. Took the grip to the cylinder but made it as wide as the cylinder slot not the cylinder, I think it gives more wood up there and looks better.  Pictures really don't capture the burl sheen but here goes.  Centered seam is just about perfect.

mndoug

Wow!  I love the design... like you say, it has the look of an old Kentucky/flintlock pistol... I wonder - do you have any ideas about an accent piece... like a inset brass (or silver) piece or emblem to cover the grip screw/hole?  I did that on an 1858 Remington replica that I "oldified."  I bought two 1858 quarter-dimes on eBay and set them into brass rings, inset into the grip.  Really made it unique.

But you've got a great set of grips there, as is!  Congratulations.

swolf

I think rounding the butt would give it a great look!  Especially with the long, thin outline.  I agree with Mndoug that a rosette at the screw hole would be a nice accent.  I'd go with maybe german silver, and let it tarnish.  Nice work!

Uncle_Lee

Very beautiful.

I like the way they "run" up the grip to the cylinder.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

22man

nice work on those grips, flint

doug's idea about a silver gripscrew/insert would look better than brass imo

it would balance out with the stainless gun

swolf

You could also use your mastadon scraps and make an inlay that would just accent your grip screw.  I'd be afraid a cover with a design would look like graffiti on your excellent, natural burl.

45flint

Are you the fellow that wanted to trade for Mammoth ivory scraps.   Lost track of you but would be interested in some engraved buttons.  Steve

swolf

Yup.  Drop me a PM with an address and I'll send you a set of scrimmed buttons that I think would work well with your grips.  Would you be able to use standard NAA grip screws?

mndoug

45Flint --> I love the Eagle inserts you pointed to on eBay... they're silver and gold, right?  The Eagle design is a nice tip of the hat to the actual NAA logo... (and VERY American!)

45flint

Yes I think it does look like the NAA Logo.   it might look very cool and appropriate.  still thinking about it.

45flint

If you use something to cover the grip screw it would have to be put in flush with the wood and tight.  How do you get it out to retighten the screw?

boone123

Screws would just seem traditional. Love the color.

45flint

Decided major sanding off of the grip end and rounding, going for old dueling pistol look?  I don't think I can resist the Eagle surrounded by gold as an inlay.   Just too over the top for a NAA pistol.   I need help!!

boone123

Don't we all?

swolf

Not sure of the size, but there is a NAA lapel pin with their actual logo for a LOT less.

45flint

The lapel pin is an interesting idea but not sure it would have the effect I want.  I really think the stylized brass and silver knife posts are classier as inlays.  They are more expensive but I can cut many inlays from one post.  I asked the guy selling them and he says that knife makers have used them for inlays.  If I had a Black Widow, I think the spider would be awesome inlaid into a grip.  The idea still fasinates me.  

45flint

double post   sorry  Steve  

swolf

Ahh, With the pics blown up I now see what it is.  I thought it was a decorative head on a brass post.  This does have some interesting potential.  But I don't think it has the right "duelling pistol" tone to it, and it creates a new problem of screw access.

glenn

I love your grips ... whether you put a medallion on them or not.    

Nice work man !

~G
Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

45flint

A little final surgery.  

chopprs

.....somebody needs a MANicure! LOL

louiethelump

those are probably geetar pickin nails!!!  LOL!
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

45flint

Guitar player

heyjoe

or bolivian marching powder snortin ones. not in this case of course.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

grayelky

How about ivory inlay? If interested, send me a PM with an address, and I will send you a couple of pieces that will likely work. If you don't like it after you get it, use them on another project.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

45flint

thanks but have come to the conclusion that I will order the small NAA silver grip screw.   Minimal approach to this burl.  It is the closest thing you can come to in putting blue opal on your gun.  don't know how I could cover the screw with a ivory inlay and still remove it easily for tightening.

Uncle_Lee

Those are beautiful.

I love that grain and the color.
God, Country, & Flag

45flint

I think these would look awesome with the blued gun!!

swolf

I agree with you flint--the tiny grip screws would be least invasive.  Especially if you inset the nut side inside the grip.  If you wanted to go more "german duelling" style, a bone, antler, or ivory washer over the screw hole gives access and dresses the hole. Ivory could be scrimmed with a simple design in a blue ink to match the grip.  Antler or bone could be dyed a matching color.  I think whatever you do, your woodwork is the star of the piece!

45flint

Your killing me Swolf, off to Internet German style pistols

swolf

Flint--You've been a step ahead of ME.  I built a wheel-lock kit years ago, and always wanted to do a throw-back design cartridge gun since.  Your duelling handle grip on a mini is a great project, and has had me thinking ever since.  Early German pistols were ornately decorated, and even the screws were works of art.  Google "german wheellock" or "duelling pistols" and see some ideas.  This is my undecorated piece that I intend to do a lot of ivory work on....someday.  

45flint

Simple small NAA silver screw I think was the ticket. Does have a old dueling pistol feel.  

swolf

Good Choice!  "Less is more" as they say in the art world.  The grips speak for themself, and the small screw keeps the attention on the burl.  And the rounded butt was perfect too.

Uncle_Lee

You have came through with another set of grips to be proud of.

They would suck on a small one but on that one they are the perfect balance.
God, Country, & Flag