Single Action as Carry

Started by pete_on_the_coast, May-04-12 19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

heyjoe

wait, why does leafhoffer win? we posted at the same time. plus he spelled two names wrong and i didnt.  

wah!!!!!!!!!! Doug doesnt like me!!!!!!!!!!
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

cedarview kid

More Mormons makin' trouble, eh, Doug? ;)

leafhopper

Heyjoe:  It's not my fault, my wife beat most of the e's out of me last night...but my post was posted micro-seconds before yours...I win!  

But, Hardin's name was not spelled with a "g"!

I WIN???  

What do I win?  

I'm good! (I see what I won...4 little red dots for saying ).

I was hiding from my wife when the Hole In The Wall Gang photo was posted, gosh darn it!

heyjoe

congratulations! on winning and successfully hiding from your wife.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Uncle_Lee

Little red dots.

In the past the members of this board used some pretty nasty language.  

Some folks were offended by that.

We are now censored.

If you use certain cuss words, they turn into little red dots.

There is a person setting and reading all the posts before they are posted.

If you cuss, he/she takes out the cuss word and puts in the little red dots.

That is why you hit the preview button and then the post button.  

That gives him/her time to read and censor the post.

Seems like the people that were offended by the language before the censorship aren't around much now that they have the censorship, if at all.

Seems like they just left. But the censorship stayed in case we get any more "sensitive" folks that want to read the forum.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

chopprs

......WOW are you old school man!

I hate to break the news to ya Lee but there is no little guy setting and reading all the posts!

.....and yes I am sensative!

Uncle_Lee

Wow, now that hurts.

I was planning on applying for the censor dude job.
God, Country, & Flag

chopprs

.......it would be hard to wield the red pen with tat really tight fitting jacket they make you wear!

Uncle_Lee

I was thinking more on typeset.

Bins with each letter.

See a cuss word, pull those lettters put them back in their bin and replace them with red dots and stick the plate back in the press.
God, Country, & Flag

chopprs

HAhahhhaa........yeah!

You are a crazy ole coot!

louiethelump

What about my hole in the wall answer?  

Did I win?  

Doug:  am I allowed to win?
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bud

Down Louie Down, somebody give Louie a bone- quick!

louiethelump

Woof!

well, was I right????
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

pete_on_the_coast

Hi, OP here and so I first want to thank everyone for their welcome and for the helpful and stimulating discussion.  (Louie:  I am on the "first coast" near Jacksonville).

Looking back, I did not word my original inquiry quite as clearly as I should have:   what I meant to ask was, if you are using rimfire ammunition in a revolver, would a SA provide greater reliability over a DA?  My understanding is that aside from cheap ammo (which there's alot of  in .22 cal), FTF is more common in rimfire because the hammer strike has to be more forceful than for center fire ammo.   Thus, does a SA by design insure a more reliable and forceful strike than a DA?   If it does, it seems that the drawbacks of a SA in terms of speed of firing would be somewhat offset by such greater dependibilty.

Also, by asking about SA as a carry weapon, I had in mind .22 wmr or LR, in order to have as light weight, concealable and portable carry weapon as possible.   Obviously, no .22 SA or otherwise would be as effective a round for SD as the larger, center fire calibers, but my interest is primarily in in portability.

Anyway, despite not making myself as clear as I could have, the discussion was interesting and informative, and I look forward to regularly participating on this board!

grayelky

If the designer does his/her job, and the engineer does his/her job, I think you should find equal reliability out of a SA or a DA revolver. I have carried a LR mini since 1977, and in the last 2 or so years have found the magnum frame just as easy to carry and conceal. I have not had my beloved LR in my pocket in over a year. I prefer the power of the mag, and since I have learned, at least for me, the mag is as easy to carry, that is what I use. For the most part, it is rare I have only a mini on me. As to the reliability of the NAA design, I have not had a magnum round fail to fire in the last couple of years.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

cedarview kid

I loved shooting my SA Vaquero in .45ACP so much, I bought a shoulder holster for it over the weekend for concealed carry. I didn't see how else I could carry it concealed, tho I'll have to wear something over it.

Can't wait to try it out.

grayelky

Naa_collector

I believe you will find a pancake-style holster to be quite effective in concealing the Ruger. A well made holster will hold the gun close to your body. You will have to get a well made belt designed to carry the weight of the gun, if you do not have one. Of course, you will still need to wear a covering garment, but it can be lighter weight than may be needed w/ a shoulder holster.

cfsharry

Simply Rugged Holsters out of Prescott, Az makes an excellent holster called the "Sourdough Pancake" designed for revolvers.  I use their "Cuda" model to carry a Browning Hi Power and have found it to be an outstanding product.  I second Grayelky's suggestion on the heavier belt.

louiethelump

I have a few Simply Rugged holsters with the straps that allow the holster to be used IWB as well.  

They work well.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

cfsharry

There is too much of me inside the waistband to add anything else.

jupiter7

2nd, simply rugged! I carry a S&W 4" model 10 in a oxblood sourdough pancake. The beauty isn't so much in the design but the performance. This is strictly a winter carry gun for me. It's a large package.

Doc Holliday

I like the SA for SD. I have many semi-autos, but my favorite large cal carry is an engraved Doc Holliday Special 45 Colt Thunderer by Cimarron. It comes with a matching coffin handled dagger which resides in back of the very nice shoulder holster and has a matching serial number with the revolver.  Both are gripped in a very realistic looking aged ivory grip. It was a limited edition of 500, so I feel lucky to have it! Waited a year! Still, my absolute everyday carry is a NAA 22 Mag Mini, soon to be the 22 Mag Sidewinder!  

Unkei
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

grayelky

A picture of the revolver and it's matching "cousin" would be nice!!

Uncle_Lee

Impressive.  I want two of them.

God, Country, & Flag

millsriver

I have always preferred the SA revolver and have shot them most of my life. I only recently tried out some auto-loading pistols and have acquired a few for CC. It took me a long time to stop trying to thumb the hammer when presenting a semi-auto. I still try to thumb the hammer occaisionally. The downside to a DA only or SA/DA revolver is more moving parts. The more moving parts, the higher the mechanical failure risk. Simple is better.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

grayelky

Sweet pair! I like!

Doc Holliday

Not sure how my pic got to Uncle lee's post, but that's it! It has a 3 1/2 inch barrel so conceals easily with the shoulder rig..is a touch on heavy side!

Unkei
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

Uncle_Lee

I posted it for you.

I wanted to see what you were talking about and got tired of waiting.
God, Country, & Flag

Uncle_Lee

How about a Doc Holliday Special 22 Thunderer by Cimarron.
Yes, it looks like it is in 22, not 45 Long Colt.

I just ran across this and just HAD to post it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com//938796842/DOC_HOLLIDAY_NIB_by_Cimarron_22_cal_with_HOLSTER_KNIFE.htm?wl=1
God, Country, & Flag

bud

WOW!!,   I think I'll buy two of those.  LOL

Kentucky Kevin

I also did S.A.S.S for years before switching to I.D.P.A. My friend that converted me "allowed me to use my Ruger Vaquero, Bird's head I.W.B's for the first time. I took second place
Jesus loves YOU all of you
"Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves."