Best Handguns Under $300.00

Started by mainstreet, May-25-16 04:05

Previous topic - Next topic

To Old To Run

I see the Naa Mini made the list, not that I'm partial or anything.
Looks like there might be some other good shooters in there also, I see most of the higher end ones at the gun shops I visit.

Kentucky Kevin

Here is the last 6
$300 ULTRA-LITE TITANIUM MODEL 85 .38 SPL. REVOLVER Ultra-fast. Ultra-reliable. Ultra-lightweight. It's no wonder the 85s are our most popular family. We pack them with a combination of customer-requested features and pair them with the .38 Special +P ammo - making them powerful, easy to carry - and lightning-quick to use. To many of our friends in Law Enforcement, these are must-have revolvers. New for 2008, we're pushing our 85s to the next level. Check out our new light-as-a-feather HY-LITE Magnesium model
$130 - The Cobra FS380 is an affordable and versatile pistol that features a sleek and lightweight design. Chambered in .380 ACP, the Cobra FS380 is a semiautomatic compact pistol that weighs 33 ounces and is equipped with synthetic grips and fixed sights. From personal protection and concealed carry to plinking and target shooting, the Cobra FS380 pistol is easy to carry and fun to shoot
$200 - DoubleTap Firearms has developed the world's smallest and lightest .45 ACP concealed carry pistol on the market today. 2 Spare rounds in the grip on a speed loader for a tactical reload. Aluminium Frame with a MIL-STD finish that resists corrosion, 17-4 PH stainless steel barrels with M16 style push-pin to quick change barrels. Optional Ported barrels reduces muzzle flip and recoil. Small, slim, no-snag hammerless design for easy pocket carry. Ambidextrous thumb latch to eject spent rounds
$300 EAA Windicator .38 Special 357 Magnum - Simple, reliable, durable, accurate, and affordable, the Windicator gets the job done. Designed by German manufacturer Weihrauch, the Windicator (German for Vindicator) has been in production for over 25 years. Calibered for .357 Magnum ammo on a rugged steel frame, the Windicator is an excellent choice for home defense or off-duty back-up and its simple design makes it perfect for any skill-level. Despite its affordable price, the Windicator is packed full of features, including an internal firing pin block, a coil mainspring, a grooved target trigger, a serrated cylinder latch, low profile non snag sights, and rubber target grips
$230 - The Kel-Tec P-32 is a sub-compact semi-automatic pistol using the short-recoil principle of operation. Chambered in .32 ACP, it is popular for concealed carry in the United States. It was designed by George Kellgren, the Swedish firearms designer associated earlier with the Husqvarna, Intratec, and Grendel brands of firearms. It is manufactured by Kel-Tec CNC Industries Inc., of Cocoa, Florida. It is designed for concealed carry by civilians and by law enforcement officers as a back-up gun; all edges are rounded and smoothed and nothing protrudes from the gun to get caught on clothing
$250 - The Kel-Tec P-11 is a compact, semi-automatic, short-recoil operated pistol chambered in 9 mm Luger. It has been manufactured by Kel-Tec CNC Industries of Cocoa, FL since 1995
Jesus loves YOU all of you
"Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves."

Kentucky Kevin

First 6
$190 - The M9 Semiautomatic is a 9x19mm Parabellum pistol that was adopted in 1985 as the official sidearm of the United States military after winning a competition in the 1980s, beating out many other contenders. The 92F survived exposure to temperatures from -40°F to 140°F, being soaked in salt water, being dropped repeatedly on concrete, and being buried in sand, mud and snow. Additionally, the 92F proved a MRBF (mean rounds before failure) of 35,000 rounds, the equivalent to five or six times the pistol's service life. It officially entered service in 1990. The Chiappa M9-22 is a replica of the US Military sidearm chambered in .22 rimfire and is available in two versions, the Standard model featuring fixed front sight and windage adjustable rear sight, and the Tactical model with novak style fiber optic sights. The standard model is available with black plastic or wooden grips; the tactical model is supplied with black plastic grips
$210 - North American Arms .22 Long Rifle is the most popular Mini-Revolver ever produced. With the many current accessories, it is versatile for many applications and is the standard by which other Mini-Revolvers are judged. As with every NAA Mini-Revolver, the hammer need not rest on an empty chamber. Using the original half-way notch cylinder, the hammer may rest safely and securely without chance of accidental discharge.

$200 - From Serbia via Century International Arms comes the new compact 9mm TT style Pistol. It's an improved version of the basic M88 model. The M88A has an external safety and a hammer forged barrel and slide. Improvements include polymer grip covers, and the mag base is designed for easy mag removal. It comes with two 8 round magazines and cleaning brush
$190 high point 9mm
$235 M200 4" 38 sp
$215 - The P64 was designed in the 1950's by the Polish military to replace the
Tokarev as the primary sidearm. This compact handgun holds 6 rounds of 9mm
Makarov in the magazine, and the blowback action is extremely reliable. Features
a traditional double action trigger mechanism
Jesus loves YOU all of you
"Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves."

MR_22

Wow, that's certainly an interesting list. I found it curious they included the Zastava M88 and the Rock Island .38-special revolver. I've been interested in both of those.

And wow, they included the DoubleTap .45. I have one of these and it has to be the hardest gun to shoot that I've ever tried. Man, it's a beast. It kills your hand. I think I've shot 4 rounds from mine before I had to quit. I tried 2 round each of 2 different low-weight-bullet rounds. Still horrible to shoot. I've recently acquired a factory rubber grip for it which I hope helps with recoil, but dang that thing hurts!

mainstreet

Mr 22, you should try Liberty ammo in your Doubletap .45. It has less recoil, and higher performance. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/liberty-civil-defense-ammo-truth-shooting/

redhawk4

Quote from: mainstreet on May-27-16 03:05
Mr 22, you should try Liberty ammo in your Doubletap .45. It has less recoil, and higher performance. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/liberty-civil-defense-ammo-truth-shooting/

I think he should just have got the 9mm version :)

The best handgun for under $300 that I actually own, that was new when I got it, would be a Nickel NIB Beretta 950 that I got for $150. I'd include my Guardian 380, but that was a used buy.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

MR_22

Quote from: mainstreet on May-27-16 03:05

I carry Liberty 9mm rounds in my Kel-Tec and my SIg and Liberty .40S&W in my Glock 22.

Unfortunately, the DoubleTap is not rated for +P, so I probably won't be trying it.

MR_22

Quote from: redhawk4 on May-27-16 15:05
I think he should just have got the 9mm version :)

The best handgun for under $300 that I actually own, that was new when I got it, would be a Nickel NIB Beretta 950 that I got for $150. I'd include my Guardian 380, but that was a used buy.

I don't see much point in the 9mm version. There are other options of comparable size and weight for 9mm. That's not necessarily the case for .45. I'll probably get the 9mm at some point, but just for fun, since they are fairly cheap. I actually got the .45 for a backup. That's a lot of punch in a small package.

MR_22

Quote from: MR_22 on May-25-16 08:05
Wow, that's certainly an interesting list. I found it curious they included the Zastava M88 and the Rock Island .38-special revolver. I've been interested in both of those.

OK, I finally got my Zastava M88A yesterday. Wow, I'm way impressed with it, much more than I thought I would be. I feels like a 1911 in my hand, but smaller. It's has a nice thin feel to it, but still feels substantial. I'm very much pleased with it so far, but I need a range session. I don't know if I'll ever carry it at 23 ounces, as it's an all-steel gun (it does't feel that heavy either), and it's also SA and I pretty much only carry DA. It's about the same size as a Glock 26/27 with a Glock 19/23 magazine, but single stack instead double stack.

These are currently on sale at Southern Ohio Gun for $179. Then extended their Memorial Day sale, apparently. For the price, you really can't beat it. I've only heard good things about it. With shipping and transfer each at $20, it would cost about $219 out the door.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/zastava-m88a-compact-9mm.html

WECSOG

The M88 looks really interesting. Wikipedia says it is also available in .40 caliber. I like the Rock Island revolver too, but I think the Taurus 85 is a better revolver. Awhile back the all steel version of the 85 was selling for about $170 after rebate.
I've seen a lot of Star BM compact 1911-style 9mms on the market lately; those are some of the best, most usable and durable 9mm pistols ever built. AIM Surplus has them right now for $200.
For durability and overall quality, a Star BM makes a Glock look like a Hi Point.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Warthog

You should let someone else shoot the 45 DblTap, the number one most painful firearm I ever fired.  I knida leave it with the derringer collection.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

pietro

FWIW:

The new handguns, all very good, that I've bought for under $300 are:

* NAA Black Widow convertible (LR/WMR)

* Kel-Tec P-32 (ACP)

* Ruger ElsiePea (LCP .380)

The used handguns, also very good, that cost me $300 or less are:

* Beretta 21-A (LR)

* H&R 999 Sportsman (LR)

* Charter Arms Pathfinder 3" (WMR only)

* FEG / KBI Browning HP clone (9mm)

JMO, but a better value (dollar-for-dollar) can be had via making a judicious selection of a good/used firearm, than new -  aka the best bang for your buck.  ;)

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

MR_22

Quote from: Warty62 on June-07-18 11:06
You should let someone else shoot the 45 DblTap, the number one most painful firearm I ever fired.  I knida leave it with the derringer collection.

I'm pretty sure the person(s) who made this list has/have never shot the DoubleTap-45. If they had, they would have NEVER EVER put it on this list. I mean, I'm glad I have one and I think it's really cool, but yes, it is the most painful handgun I have ever fired. I shot 4 rounds and put it away. Maybe someday I'll have the courage to shoot it again. Maybe. More likely not.... ;)

MR_22

Quote from: WECSOG on June-07-18 05:06
For durability and overall quality, a Star BM makes a Glock look like a Hi Point.

I love the Stars! I have both a Star collection and a Zastava collection. Both small collections, but decent.

I have a Zastava M57, two Zastava M70's (one blued, one matte stainless), and now the Zastava M88A. I wouldn't mind getting more.

As for Stars: I have Model A's, Super A's, Model B's, and the BM, my latest acquisition. A bunch of the BM's got imported over the past year, apparently. Before that, I never saw them for sale. And what's not great about having a gun named the BM? That makes me laugh hard enough to I crap my pants!!! Hahaha.

Oh, boy. I hit 50 this year, but I still have the humor of a middle-grader. Oh well. I'm totally good with that. Know any good fart jokes? Mwahahaha! Old in body, young at heart. (Hey, heart rhymes with Fart! Oh boy....)

WECSOG

;D ;D ;D I'm gonna leave that one alone, MR_22!
But yeah, I've had a few Star pistols and those who think they're "just another cheap Spanish gun" are missing out on some great pistols. I had a B Super in 9mmP, traded it for a BM then later traded the BM for a Colt Police Positive Special. Years ago I had a Star D .380. All of them were great, but the B Super was the best. I would put it up against any other 9mm pistol in the world in terms of overall quality and design.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Canoeal

50? I left 50 behind a loooong time ago. I still ain't old enough to be PC though....
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bearcatter

Old Gander Mountain sold the Tokarev TT-33, for $199. Included two mags and a leather holster. Mine usually had at least ten in the case. Most were in good shape, but you had to look them over and pick the best one. Probably the best gun deal Gander had...LOL...

Ammo is a little scarce, but not too hard to get. I've heard they shot and functioned well. I was almost tempted to buy one. Or two.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

WECSOG

Before they went insane and had "sale" prices that were double the everyday price at other places (and ended up closing the store because we're not complete idiots), my local Gander Mountain had Argentine M1927 .45s (absolutely part-by-part interchangeable with a 1911a1) for something like $175. That was a great deal, especially since Gander Mountain had in-house gunsmiths, went over every gun before selling it and added a 1 year warranty.
Those guns were built by Colt-trained technicians, and they were actually better than a Colt because they were built using Swedish steel. They weighed slightly more than a Colt because the steel is denser.
I bought one, had it a few years and eventually traded it for a boat and motor.

Another great deal in .45s was the Norinco 1911a1. I still have one of those; gave $200 for it. Canadians can still get them, but we can't thanks to George H.W. Bush and his executive order. Same with other good stuff from Norinco: $89 SKS and $250 M14s.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Warthog

My Local Gander Mountain was also a pretty good place to get ammo, shooting or reloading supplies or firearms or whatever it was you were seeking for the outdoors.  Then it went into INSANE MODE and everything changed.  The Gun Manager, who I had gotten along with and had given me good deals and became a bit of a friend, was told he would get a reduction in pay, due to "Restructuring" the company was going though while someone below him was promoted over him into a different level of management.  Prices stopped being able to be negotiated, and became so ridiculous that if a person wanted ammo, and there was ONE LGS, owned by the son of an ex-LEO, took over from him when he got cancer.  The Ex-LEO was a decent guy, we would talk and exchange lies, and sometimes have lunch together.  His Son started out as an OK Guy but he got worse, started staying in the back and watching TV.  Had Help that weren't given a wage of any kind except being allowed to purchase stuff at cost.  He also bought their lunches while working.  It became a bit too cliquish for me so I started going online for my stuff.

Then, two new LGS's opened on my end of town.  The one, that I use most now, started out as nothing I really cared about.  The Other, started out with a BANG! and I went there for the most part.  Gander wound up dying like the rest of the Ganders.  Life ent on...
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

PaducahMichael

OK, Ruger, you got me with this one:

Ruger ElsiePea.

Until I said it out loud.

Now I am so, so ashamed.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."