Where Are You Folks Getting Your Speer Gold Dot .22 Mag Ammo?

Started by gebe, July-07-12 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

gebe

Just wondering where you folks are getting your Speer Gold Dot .22 mag for short barrel ammo?  

Does Walmart or any other retailer sell it? I was going to order some online but the shipping charges on most sites are ridiculous.

bleak_window

Academy Sports carries it, so does Gander Mtn.  It's usually available at gun shows, too.

dave_j

I just got some from Midway last week.  They ran me $16.75 a box shipped.

chopprs

soldierboy

Got mine at the last Sandy gun show.  Ran out of jugs checking out the Hornady FTX, so will have to wait a bit to do some expansion tests on the .22 mag version.

I know that the Gold Dots work REALLY well in .45-70 300gr loadings!  Definitely sold on this type of bullet.
Cheers,
the (old) soldierboy

gunr

Arn't you guys glad that you all have .22 Long rifle cylinders?

What! There's some of you that don't, and you have to shoot that fancy high priced spread all the time!

louiethelump

I am yet to use the first 22lr cylinder on any of mine.  They just sit in the drawer.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bleak_window

You should sell your extra LR cylinders on eBay for $300 a pop.

gunr

Louie,

Are you an eccentric millionaire (I'm an eccentric thousandaire) or is your drawer just stuck in the closed position?

louiethelump

I am an eccentic sawbuckaire, but not sure how that relates.

The minis are magnums and I don't shoot them enough to worry about the ammo cost.  I can afford 10 dollars a month of 22 magnum practice ammo. (50 rounds)  When I shoot a 22 for fun, it is 22lr and I use one of my Rugers.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

grayelky

I have just recently noticed one of my distributors lists CCI VELOCITOR 22LR 40gr Gold Dot HP for the .22LR. Is this something I have previously overlooked, or is it new on the market? They do not have it in stock.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

yizzim

I am a brand new mini owner, first post. I just found some on CTD. I'm really looking forward to shooting it with my new pug.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?mfgid=4471&catid=494">http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?mfgid=4471&catid=494

firedup

Grayelky,  The Velocitors have been available for a while.  Great 22LR round.  I'd say it's probably the most powerful and best all around 22LR that exists.  There are some that say the Aguila hyper velocity 22LR are a little more powerful than the CCI Velocitor, but I'll take the quality and reputation of CCI over Aguila any day.  By the way, I shot some of Velocitors into some loose dirt with a 6" revolvers, and the bullets expanded very nicely.  Just like you'd expect from a "Gold Dot".

grayelky

Have the Velocitors always had the Gold Dot bullet or is the Gold Dot something new for Velocitors?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

firedup

As far as I know, the Velocitors have always had the same Gold Dot bullet.  Even though it's just a plated lead bullet (no jacket), they sure know how to design the pocket in the hollow point to give the bullet good expansion.  Gold Dots are my favorite choice for self defense in any caliber.

gebe

Boy, talk about topic drift. Why do some of you like  Chopprs, Gunr, Louiethelump and others come aboard and discuss things that are not even pertinent to ANYTHING I asked in this thread? It's kind of aggravating but I guess, thanks anyway.

To Bleak widow, Dave j and others, thanks for staying on-topic and for your input to my thread.

Yizzim,

Thanks much for that but CTD's shipping charges are like most online dealers and is way too expensive.

RogueTS1

My box states copper plated hollowpoint but looking it up on the web the advertising states the bullet is Gold Dot designed despite the labeling. That would probably explain why they are reported to expand so well.

I have been overlooking this fact the same as you. Thank you for the update.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Dinadan

Gebe - I get mine at Cheaper Than Dirt also. It is expensive to order it, but  

since it is my carry ammo I pay what it takes. Actually I alternate Gold Dot and  

Maxi-mag FMJ rounds for carry in my Pug, and target shoot with the Maxi-mag.  

The Maxi-mag has better penetration than the Gold Dot so I load GD-MM-GD-MM.  

More thread drift, I know.

yzingerr

22man

CCI's newer Quiet22 LR ammo is good stuff imo as well, useful when plinking in the neighborhood, nice to have on hand for end-times when not wanting to draw attention when hunting. Not sure how quiet it would be in a small revolver, but it's great in a single shot rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144251/cci-quiet-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-50">http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144251/cci-quiet-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-box-of-50