Sidewinder vs. Taurus 941 UL

Started by pete_on_the_coast, July-18-12 15:07

Previous topic - Next topic

pete_on_the_coast

OK, guys, just my second post and I hope it's considered fair to admit that I'm considering both of these two guns - early stages, having never had either in my hand at this point.   But, I would appreciate opinions from anyone who has fired (and/or carried) either the 941 UL and any NAA .22 mag revolver.  I know the 941 UL is comparatively larger and heavier, but how decent is it for CCW?   I think for carry I'd want no more than a 2.5" barrel in either gun, so assume the ballistics wouldn't be much different.  I've seen various NAA minis but never fired one, and the lack of a trigger guard concerns me a bit.   Any input appreciated!

louiethelump

Welcome to the forum Pete.

It is kind of hard to compare two so totally different guns.  As for size you are comparing a Smart Car to a Honda Accord.  The NAA literally disappears in a pants pocket and you can forget you have it at all.  The 941 is a full size snub gun, and is the same size as a 38 or 357 magnum 5 shot only with very sharp edges from those sights.

now the 8 shot Taurus with double action is going to give you those three extra rounds, and will be more accurate and easier to shoot accurately, but all things are a compromise.  It will also be almost too big for pocket carry and you will need to go to a belt holster.  You need to visit a gun shop and handle both.

Before you buy that Brazil made Taurus thing, you may want to look at an American made Ruger LCR in 22 lr.  It is about the same size but DA only and low profile sights.  I have one, and it is a dream to shoot.  It is still bigger than the NAA by a wide margin, but is a step up from the Taurus in quality for about the same or less money.

Good Luck
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bleak_window

With a single-action revolver, the trigger does not come into play until the hammer is fully cocked.  

That typically doesn't happen until the gun is in the hand, aimed and ready to fire.

louiethelump

(so it does not need a trigger guard Pete)

The NAA minis are NOT double action and you have to manually cock the hammer for each shot.

Thanks Bleak.  I forgot to address that issue.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

jupiter7

Agreed, no fair comparison, not in size, action or QUALITY.  

I would buy a LCR 22 in a heartbeat, on my short list since it's release. I'd skip Taurus on all counts.  Most important to me when buying a mini was size. I wanted the smallest, reliable gun I could get, nothing else comes close. There's a trade-off, a big one, choosing a single action for a pocket gun. Not just point and shoot, gotta practice draw and cock. Then the sight picture, well lack there of is also something that requires adjustment for the shooter.

Also, I want to make one thing clear, I by no means consider any 22,25, or 32 a sufficient primary carry gun. If you are thinking of either for that purpose, I suggest looking at something else. Maybe a 38spl revolver if your looking for small and reliable( read, not Taurus ).

louiethelump

+1 on the Taurus thing, and I did not even have to say it...............

The LCR 22 have been coming down in price.  I paid just under 400 for mine and I am seeing them going on GB for around 300 NIB with a little shopping....

The 38 and 357 are staying up there.  I would buy either the 38 or 357 if I found one at a good price.

The .22 is just fun and light, and trouble free.  Just shoot it............
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

pete_on_the_coast

Wow, what quick and informative replies, guys!   Much impressed, and enough to realize that comparing the NAA to the other guns mentioned is apples & oranges in terms of carry characteristics.  I live near Jacksonville, and it's warm most of the year, so being retired, my daily uniform is usually a pair of shorts and a light T shirt - not too good for concealed carry.   That's the main appeal of the mini, and even .22 wmr is not an ideal self defense round, it's that or nothing most of the time.   If I go for the Sidewinder, it would be when the longer barrel models come out.   Any opinions on the 4" barrels on existing NAA minis as far as the trade off between shootability and concealability?   Main reason I'd favor Sidewinder  is ease of reloading for practice purposes, but I realize in a self defense situation there would probably be no reloading at issue.

Dinadan

Pete - I have not handled the Taurus, so I have no specific knowledge about  

it. But I think that the choice of gun will come down to the way that you will  

carry. Like others said, the Taurus UL is just too big for pocket carry for most  

of us. Same with Ruger LCR, which I have handled. So if you plan to carry in your pocket,  

I do not think any available gun will be as practical to carry as a NAA Mini. If you plan to  

carry in a shoulder or waistband holster then the bigger guns become more practical. But if you are  

getting a bigger gun, might as well get a Ruger LCR 357, 14.5 oz as opposed to  

the 18.5 oz Taurus UL, and you can shoot .38s if you do not like .357 recoil (who does?).

Personally, I live in a hot climate, and amything as big as the Taurus UL is just not  

practical for concealed carry.

louiethelump

What Dinadan said.

My main pocket carry mini is a Sheriff.  The Sheriff comes with a 2.5" barrel and that is about as long as works in normal pockets.  My 3" Earl is just a little too long.  A perfect one really is the Black Widow.  Plenty small enough to pocket carry and plenty of pocket holsters available.  (you will need a pocket holster)  The Black Widow (BW) has a big barrel and looks from the muzzle end like a larger gun than it is.  A 2.5" Sidewinder would be about the same as the Sheriff and may be the perfect compromise for you.

An alternative to the mini is a 32 Guardian.  13.5 oz unloaded, and with 7 (6 plus one in the chamber) rounds in the gun that will produce around 850 FPS with the 71 grain rounds it is a bit more gun.  BUT it is very small and flat and disappears in a pants pocket just about as well as a mini revolver.  Mine is very accurate and reliable too.

If you are in Jacksonville, you are about 3 hours northeast of me.  If you get down Webster way, you are welcome to come by and test fire some minis, the LCR 22, and the guardian at my little home range.  I have all those, (but NO TAURUS) and you are welcome to try them out to see how you like them.  

I know what you mean about hot.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

chopprs

.....will you provide the rounds too?

louiethelump

of course.  Why?  My supply is down, but I still have 15,000 rounds of 22 laying about.

You don't invite someone to dinner and then tell them to bring their own food do you?
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

jestus

The Black Widow is easy to carry, drops into a jacket or pants pocket. I am awaiting my John Losey pocket holster (concealmentholstersolutions.com). I guess I'm not of the mind to carry a large weapon as EDC, though I sometimes tuck a .380 or .38 in my belt, Mexican carry style. I feel too self conscious sometimes as larger guns are more difficult to conceal. So I am of the mind, the small one carried is better than the big one "at home". Especially if you are wearing warm weather attire.  

Get a NAA .22 Mag Pug or a BW combo and go about your business. Keep a larger "coming through the door gun" near the doors and bedside. The Sidewinder sounds neat but I'm waiting for feedback.

And forget Taurus, I have rarely heard "Oh I love my Taurus." I have heard that about other brands, but not Taurus.

Just my 2 cents.

lohman446

Buy both - they are really intended to do two different things.

The Taurus is intended (or at least realistically used) as a concealed belt gun.  This means a good gun belt, a good holster, and the appropriate concealing garmet over it.  Many people carry firearms like this and do just fine.

The minis will slide into your pocket.  A good holster is a must but other than that simply not wearing stupidly tight clothing is all it takes to conceal.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

trotterlg

What you probably need to figure out is what is the biggest gun you will carry whenever you have clothes on, even at home.  It will probably need to be a very small gun in my experience.  You will never know when you will need it, and something (even if it is very small) is way better than nothng.  I just went with the smallest gun I could get knowing I will likely never have to pull it out, but knowing that it will shoot if I need it to.  Mine is a NAA 22 Short and I have it on me any time I am dressed.  Remember, years from now you will still be dropping it in your pocket and don't want to even think that you will leave it at home because it is even a little bit of trouble to carry.  Larry

gunr

OK folks, it's time for a little "Gunr" bashing! So here goes.

I don't know about YOUR Taurus, I only know about mine, so what I say does not reflect mishaps you have had with yours, like sides plates falling off (Hi Louie) etc.  

In fact, I would never tell anybody it's a high quality gun.

What I will say is the one that I have suits me fine. It's a titanium framed .38 special that only weighs 14 oz. It's quite compact, feels great in the hand, and has a great trigger. I have only run maybe a hundred rounds through it, in 8 years, which may explain why it hasn't fallen apart yet, as some on this panel predict. Also, I would never shoot +P in it. I didn't buy it to "shoot" I bought for a very light weight carry gun.  

As much as I love auto loaders, and I've had a few, I still would rather have and depend on a wheel gun to save my miserable life, if need be.

I realize the importance of "using" a gun, to become more proficient with it, but would rather practice with a similar weapon, than wear out the one that I may need to depend on. Less use equals less side plates falling off!

So, to sum it up, maybe YOUR Taurus is a piece of Sh*t, but I love mine!

tocsn40

OK folks, it's time for a little "Gunr" bashing! So here goes.  

I don't know about YOUR Taurus, I only know about mine, this is true of mine as well. i have shot may more shells then the above o100 i have allso sent it back for work. but no it was not the gun at falt it was the man behind the gun. i shot a scib that i had reloaded myself and it lodeg in the barrel. taurus removed the scib and sent it back to me to cost.  

you are all right that it is not the best gun in the safe but they do stand behind them every bit a goood as naa has for me anyhow  just my 2 cents
Tocsn40

45flint

It really comes down to the sidewinder is much more unique and a whole lot cuter.  My theory is the chances of me firing a gun in anger are really minimal so why not carry what is unique and cool.

Uncle_Lee

If some big ol bruiser comes up with great plans of robbing you after beating you to one inch from death, pull out the Sidewinder and say, "Sir, you are about to get shot, but let's take a minute and check out the cool factor and the neat looks of what you are about to get shot with."  

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

louiethelump

Gunr and Tocsn40:

GREAT!!!  Buy and use Taurus. If you are happy with them, that is what matters.  It is no skin off my nose.  Does not matter to me AT ALL.  You guys are the ones with the Taurus!  LOL!

There are a variety of products out there for different people and folks have all different reasons for buying what they buy and wanting what they want.  That is what makes the world go 'round.

I don't own and won't own a Taurus.  Where did the "sideplate falling off" come from?

I worked on and repaired enough Taurus crap to know better than to buy one.  

My son likes them.  He keeps buying them even though I advise him not to, I presume because they are cheap and look neat.  Then, he calls me and asks how to fix this and that on them.  How to keep the pins in the plastic frame DA only guns from walking out the sides of the gun, for example.  He has not had a Taurus revolver, but did buy a Rossi from a guy he worked with and then when he wanted to trade it off, called me and wanted to know why no one would even give him 100 dollars in trade for this stainless 38 snub.

"HELLO Son, it is a Rossi!"

Taurus offers a great lifetime warranty, because THEY NEED IT!  Ruger offers no warranty at all.  LOL!!!!

Best of luck guys.  If you are happy, I am happy.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bud

Louie,  

When I see a Ruger lcr for $300 nib, I'll buy it.

I looked at G.B. and all I could find was $419.00.

I have the LCR in the 38 and really like it.

You having the .22 LCR and like it, makes me want

one all the more.

I'm going to a gun show this weekend,so I'll see what they are going for then. Last month at the show they were going for $425.00.

RogueTS1

My suggestion; same as Trotter. Figure what the biggest gun you will carrry all the time and go with that. Then pick up an NAA for a backup.

In the end you will either have a larger primary and an NAA backup or two NAA's.  

Rule to live by: Always have at least one gun on you or within reach at all times.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

louiethelump

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=296151640">http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=296151640

Here is one that ends in 8 hours and is at $270

This seller has sold 47 of them under $350 in the last 90 days with the lowest being $305, several at $315 and a few around $320.

You do have to shop.

It may be easier for you, and cheaper depending on what your dealer charges to receive for you to just buy locally.  I have a friendly dealer.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bud

Thanks, I'll watch that.

lauraslookout

I can not speak for anyone else but when I am watching stuff on GunBroker I have to keep reminding myself that you generally have to add at least $50.00 (for their shipping and your dealer fees) to the current bid price to see if you are truly getting a good deal. Not that you cannot sift through there and not find good deals, you just gotta put forth the effort as Louie says. I know it's getting to where a good number of the sellers are tacking on exorbiant shipping fees to increase their profit margin, course I let them know that's not acceptable simply by not bidding on their item. Jim

grayelky

I have been carrying the 1 1/8 and 1 5/8 barreled mags interchangeably for the past year and a half. I cannot tell any difference in the comfort level. I would suggest the longer barrel.

Between the 2 guns you mentioned, one is the size and weight of a .38 special. You are looking at a gun that size, why carry a .22? If you have the ability and skill level to carry a .38, by all means do so.  There are times when an NAA is my only gun, but it is rare. ALWAYS carry the biggest caliber you can control and feel comfortable in concealing. If that is a .22, then look around for a .22 mag if you go with the bigger size gun.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

therevjay

If you decide on the NAA I would go with a .22 Mag. It's true that out of a 1 1/8" or 1 5/8" Bbl. you will only get 100 - 150 FPS more vel. But I found the larger frame mag. much easier to get a good grip on (quickly and safely) when drawing it out of a pocket. Also, you can get a LR cyl. for the Mag if you want.

The people who have reccomended a .38 rather then either .22 have good points. But a "J" frame S&W, or eqivilent Taurus, Ruger, Colt, etc, is really just too big for pocket carry. (Except maybe cargo pants.)
"I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way".....Mark Twain

dracothered

Hey Pete_on_the_coast, if you are worried about concealing a pistol in shorts and a T-shirt you really don't need to be. I carry a Sig P238 on my belt every day with only a T-shirt and short on now that it is summer here in the north with no problem. It all comes down to using the right equipment to do it with. But if you are looking for a pocket carry then the NAA's are made for that, though I think the longest you could go is a 2" barrel.

louiethelump

2.5" Sheriff in a pocket holster.  It is my most carried, but is about the extent of what will work.  A 2" Black Widow fits a little better.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

blazinwv

Hey Dracothered,

Do you like the Sig P238? I have been looking at them....the price always stops me!

lauraslookout

Like those grips Louie!! Jim

Doc Holliday

Hey folks,

I have many handguns (including a beautiful Taurus M85)

I have a Ruger New Vaquero stainless 45 Colt, a Cimarron Arms (Uberti) Doc Holiday Ltd Edition (1 of 500) w/ shoulder holster and matching dagger, 45 Colt, 2  Davis Derringers, 22 & 38, a Beretta 25, 2 Walther PPK/S 32 & 380, a Sig P238 (love it !), S & W 5906 9mm, S & W Model 10, 38, a Bond Arms Derringer (3 barrels and Driving Holster) and a NAA 22 Mag Mini (my favorite and everyday carry, till the Sidewinder arrives, then will carry both! Oh, almost forgot the Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP and Colt New Agent 45 ACP. Guess I'm over gunned and under monied!

Unkei
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

redhawk4

You should always take into account your own physical size as well when looking for a pocket handgun or regular concealed carry. I'm 6' 4" and a reasonably stocky build. When you are my size your pockets etc. are massively bigger than they are for my wife, who's about 5' 2". She'd struggle to get even a Mini in her pocket, whereas I can carry a J frame without issue. So that's just something else to consider when looking at others recommendations, are they of similar size and stature.

To some degree this goes for weight as well, at a reasonably atheltic (still) 225lbs my idea of a heavy gun is very different to my wife's at a mere 102lbs. It seems I can carry my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag concealed more easily than she carries a J frame airweight . . . just something to consider
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

cedarview kid

I had a Taurus 94 Ultralite--the same gun, but not the magnum. I really liked it--until I shot it. Terrible trigger pull and wasn't fun to shoot. And the rear sight popped off and was lost in the dirt during my first shooting session. Taurus was good about it and replaced it under warranty, but I put the new sight on it when I received it and sold it.

Get the NAA.

cfsharry

Blazinwv,

Not Dracothered but do own the Sig P238. Great gun.  Functions flawlessly with anything I've fed it. A creampuff to shoot and accurate. Though lite and compact, not really a pocket piece. I use a Dave Bullard holster and double mag carrier and the rig conceals well. Yes a bit pricey but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

pietro

I actually bought a new Taurus 941, to accompany my Charter Pathfinders (plural) - and WAS I ever sorry.

The gun's timing was amiss, side-spitting junk back into my face ( I had shooting glasses on, Thank God), right from the first cylinderful, and on through three more, before I stopped shooting it.

(I took it apart, in between rounds, to inspect the innards for shavings, etc - but it looked OK)

Since I didn't want to go through the lengthy Tauraus warranty/return process, I simply returned it to the FFL I bought it from for a store credit ( I'm a GOOD customer)

SInce that was my 4th Taurus in 30 years, with it also being the 3rd lemon, I have to say that I can't recommend buying ANY Taurus.

Another Taurus minus, if a buyer isn't planning on keeping one forever, is that reselling a used Taurus for a fair price (or at all, in some instances) is harder than selling ice to an Eskimo, in my past experiences.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent