Longer Barrel=Better Ballistics: But How Much?

Started by pete_on_the_coast, July-26-12 14:07

Previous topic - Next topic

pete_on_the_coast

OK, so some NAA minis go up to 6" long, I think, with others at 4" and 2.5"   For CC, at least for my situation, the 4" would be at the outer limits of physical dimensions, and 2.5" even better.   Barrels shorter than 2" would seem to be decidedly weaker.  I've looked but not found a chart with an even-Stephen comparison of these models for both .22 LR and .22 WMR.   Obviously, the longer the better . . . but how MUCH better?   And (to focus my inquiry even more) how do these ballistics numbers compare with the .32 acp and .380, again, from the same barrel length?   Knowing this information would sure help me decide on my next purchase!   Thanks in advance, guys.

Dinadan

Pete - here is a link to NAA's ballistics page. It will give you a starting  

point anyway.  

http://northamericanarms.com/ballistics">http://northamericanarms.com/ballistics

jupiter7

Another interesting link, 22lr data only. One can easily perceive that the 22wmr numbers will be higher. Check their site, there are more calibers on file.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html">http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

louiethelump

Also try the "Ballistics by the inch" website.  They don't have 22 magnum but do have 22 lr and 32acp.

All such things are just a guide keep in mind.  guns vary radically from gun to gun.

That said, you make a very valid point, and there seems to be a big leap from the 1" to the 2" and then a more gradual increase as they get longer from there.

I pocket carry a 2.5" Sheriff, and you are right when you say that is about it for pockets.  My 3" Earl is just a little TOO LONG.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

louiethelump

I think we were writing at the same time.  LOL!
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

grayelky

There are a number of your questions I can't answer, but offer an opinion. You are not looking for opinion, but fact. Here are some facts that maybe of help to you.

I have been carrying a 1 1/8 and a 1 5/8 barreled mini for a little while now. The difference is not noticeable in my pocket. From the way they carry, I cannot tell the difference. The longer barrel will, in theory give you a little more velocity, and it points a little better for me.

If you are considering a .32 or .380, there are none that compare in size and light weight to the NAA Mini (if you find one, please share it with me). With this thought in mind, you are not comparing apples to apples, so to speak. If you want the power of a .32, then the mini is not for you. At least not yet. Who knows what Sandy has up his sleeve for next year.

Louiethelump swears by the 2.5" Sheriff model. I readily admit I have not tried to carry one with that long of a barrel, but for me, I suspect the Black Widow will be about as long a barrel as I would be interested in. I am not sure I would want to try. Point being, you have to find what works for you.

CAUTION: Opinion follows!

As to the difference in velocity, in the real world, where we all live, work and play everyday, there is more of a variation in the individuals we may encounter than the difference in velocity in a 1" and a 3" barrel will compensate for. I do not believe a person who is shot with a 1" barrel and lives, would have died if shot in the exact same spot, under the exact same circumstances if he had been shot by someone using a 3" barreled gun.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

pete_on_the_coast

Hi Grayekly, thanks for your input.   You ask about .32 or .380 guns that compare with the NAA mini.   One that I'm considering is the Keltec P32, specs here: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-32/">http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/p-32/

Fits very nicely in my pocket; the .380 not so much but still quite compact.  Now, I prefer the simplicity and reliability of a wheel gun, and I would like to think that .22 wmr out of a 2.5" barrel approximates or exceeds the ballistics of the .32 - but at this point, I just don't know, and that's why I'm asking for input from knowledgeable folks like you.   Thanks again.

chopprs

Grey, you leave all the goors and windows open with your 1" and 3" statement. The slightly higher may make the difference if another layer of clothes were worn or if an angle created a situation where more penetration would make the difference between a flesh wound and puncturing a major organ. I think I will have to disagree with your statement for now....

louiethelump

Here in the mosquito swamp formerly known as Florida, we seldom have to worry about clothes.  My concern is penetration and expansion.  There seems to be kind of a line between reliable expansion and iffy or no expansion, and that seems to be around 1000 fps.  I would like to get that small little bullet moving at that speed at least up close.  That takes a barrel longer than an inch usually.  I worry less with the larger bores with jacketed bullets as I know they will penetrate and they are already about the size we want the 22 projectiles to expand TO.

That is just me, and my opinion.

A MAJOR factor in my going to a Sheriff is the fact that it has a front and a rear sight, and MOST OF ALL, the octagon barrels on the 1860 line seems to be a bit more rifled and of better quality than some of the standard barrels.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

grayelky

I like the KelTec P32. It is what got the small plastic pistol concept started. I have had one since the late 80s or early 90s. (My serial number starts with 0. I don't remember the last 4 digits, but today they use mostly letters.) The KT is still a fair bit larger than the NAA Mini. The Seecamp 32 is smaller than the KT, but a little bit heavier. It is a MUCH better made, nicer pistol than any KT will ever be. I do prefer the .32 over the .380. Most will argue the .380 is a bigger, heavier bullet, therefore, better suited for self defense. The .32 seems to perform a little better in actual police investigated shootings. Seems it did not read the book where the .380 is a better suited cartridge. Perhaps part of it is the reduced recoil makes bullet placement easier.

Since you prefer the wheel gun, and do not seem opposed to small caliber bullets, S&W makes 2 of their J frame guns in .22 mag, both 7 shot. At 10.6 and 11 oz, they weigh nothing, yet 7 rounds of 22 mag would be a potent defense. As much as I like the .22 mag, the rational side of me says if you can handle the recoil of a .38 sp, by all means carry it. It will add as much as another 4 oz of pistol, though.

Chopprs-

I am not going to contest you may be right. There is always that one chance. My contention is more likely the individual being shot will be the deciding factor: A junkie who is bad need of a fix likely will not have the stamina to continue the fight, where a tough, battle hardened "ex" marine may just have the mind set to ignore what ever level of pain and carry on the fight. Some people will see blood, and they are done, convinced they are hurt, while others just get teed off because they got wounded.

Now, about that 2" BW. Maybe I DO need to buy another NAA revolver, just so I can check on my own theory about barrel length.....  

Uncle_Lee

Do any of the revolvers being compared have ported barrels??

Max loss of velocity.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

chopprs

Agreed Grey "BUT" depending on where the wound is, angle, depth and speed of the bullet, you may not bleed if shot!

pete_on_the_coast

Greyelky - Keltec website says the P32 is 6.6 oz unloaded, 5.1" Long X 3.5" high X .75" thick.  NAA .22 Mag with one and five/eight inch barrel is shown as 6.2 oz, 5.25" L X 2 and 7/8 high and 7/8" thick.

You have both so I'm interested in your experience, but how can these numbers be said to reflect the KT as "still a fair bit larger" than the NAA mini?   Not debating, just want to make sure I'm not missing something . . . . .

jackson57

Here is a test I did for barrels from 1" to 2.5"

./discus/messages/2/42522.html?1339076637

Going from the Pug to the Black Widow with Hornaday Critcal Defense you gain almost 200 fps and a lot of energy.

bud

I used to worry about barrel size and what type of ammo to carry, and was getting bogged down with specs. ballistics and or statistics.

Someone suggested to carry h.p. in the warm months and solid point in the winter months.

Sooooo- sounded good to me , so that's what I do.

I carry my pug when I wear jeans, and wearing dress trousers or dockers, I carry my B.W. because I have deeper pockets.

Sometimes I carry my .32 S&W I frame or my .380 diamondback, pockets permitting.

Another inch or two helps in a lot of things .

Actually I have several different kinds of .22lr and mag rounds,and 380 shells, and I'm more concerned with which one me and my pistol or  revolver does best with.

chopprs

.......Bud, in the months where you have "deeper pockets" give me a call. I have a very nice bridge for sale!

grayelky

Pete-

I borrowed your data and made it easier for me to compare:

KT:  6.6 oz, 5.1"  L X 3.5"H X .75"  Thick.

NAA  6.2 oz, 5.25" L X 2 7/8 X .875" Thick.

I have no doubt the measurements are accurate. What is not "measured" is the overall "bulk" of the KT. The semi auto has a lot of handle and slide that adds "bulk" that the mini does not. As it happens, I have a KT 32 in the shop, and 1 5/8" mini in my pocket. I have added some pics to try and help you see what I mean. The KT is noticeably bulkier than the mini is. Of course, it is much easier to hold, but I find I can shoot them with about the same ease.

I aligned the back side of the grip with a straight edge, trying to be accurate so you can see what I am trying to describe:

The mini just carries a lot easier.

pete_on_the_coast

Greyelky:  What a helluva board this is!   You must have gone to a lot of trouble to get those pictures made and posted, and I can't tell you how impressed I am that you - and others posting - are doing your best to help a newbie like me!   I live in a small town in Georgia and don't have alot of local gun stores, so I actually get to see and feel and hold just a small sample of NAA products (got to to Jacksonville, 50 miles or so, to do that) - so, posts such as yours go a very long way in helping me, and I thank you again!   Cheers!

keith44

I'll second that

Most of the posters here really go above and beyond to answer questions.  

Thank you all

grayelky

In addition to liking the Minis, we have one other thing in common: I, too, live in a small town in GA. Granted, I am 35 miles outside of Atlanta, but it is still a small town.

There are so many others on here who know so much more about guns, and the Minis in particular, than I do that sometimes it surprises me I can post quasi-intelligent answers.

As to the pics: I have learned it is easy to take pics with my iPhone, email them to another email account I have, and save them to the desktop. From there it is easy to post them. As I mentioned, I just happened to have a P32 in the shop, and it is rare I do not have a mini in my pocket. Typically, the hard part is gathering everything together. Today, it all just fell into place.

RogueTS1

Grayelky; 35 miles North or South of Atlanta?
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

grayelky

North - Acworth. If you are in the EB Sidewinder club, I will do the transfer for no charge.

RogueTS1

Would love to take you up on the offer but unfortunatley I live in TN near Chattanooga area thus not allowing me to do so. Thank you for the offer though. I am not too far from you; just up the road a tad.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.