Do you preffer the Old or New Style BW's?

Started by gunfixer, August-03-12 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

gunfixer

I have the Old Style (Well.. technically the New also, but my Wife has taken it..)  

and do like it allot, but don't know which one I prefer..

'Mine sports "Spresser Knife Works" Stag grips (Just arrived today!!)

I will admit, the new style "Pull down then out" type cylinder pin is easier for me to manipulate  

w/ large fingers and thumb, than this Old Style checkered-ish, push-pin type one..

I don't have a pic handy of the New Style..
-E!-

pietro

I just bought this (new), 6 mos ago, but they look alike to me.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

backporch22

BOTH HAVE OLD STYLE CYL. PIN, MUST HAVE BOUGHT THEM USED.

grayelky

I do not own a BW - yet. The newer style pin is a lot more secure. I would not mind having an old style, just because. For shooting, the new style would be preferred, especially if it is to be a defensive weapon.

Typically, I do not care for the stag grips, but those look nice. This is the second time I have said that. You guys keep showing pics of them, and I may become a convert.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

keith44

Since I have not held nor fired either style BW I won't comment on functions, so based strictly on looks and spec sheets, the old style would be my preference

theysayimnotme

Mine was the old style but I had it "Fixed" & have NO regrets.

The old style pin made it a single shot. The pin jumped out every time I shot it. You can't just push it back in. It is a nasty jamb. There is no way I can recommend that anyone not have the pin replaced.

Even if your's is not that bad it could happen when you most need it.

gunfixer

**Theysayimnotme**

How was it "Fixed"? Did they notch your

gun and then add a New Style "Pull down then Out" type cylinder pin?  

May I/ we see a pic or 2 of what they (you?) did?
-E!-

theysayimnotme

All I did was send it in. The only pic would be of a Black Widow that now looks just like the  new ones. I assume they just cut a notch in the rail under the barrel but I suppose they could replace the complete barrel assembly.

At least it don't recall that it cost me anything.  I don't know if NAA paid the shipping or the dealer I bought it from or maybe I paid some of it & don't remember.

What I do know is that it fixed the problem.

grayelky

If I were guessing, they simply replaced the barrel assembly.

pete_on_the_coast

Are the NAA product codes different for the new style pin BW?   If ordering one I'd want to avoid the old style, based on comments here.

n9znd

I had a Black Widow and loved it.  I put alot of rounds through the gun.    But I will say that I like the regular Magnum pin alot better. Much faster to me to take cylinder out.  The BW I seemed to fumble to much to get the cylinder out.  I was the same way with the Mini Master that I had.  It is very positive lock up though.   Jim

pietro

backporch22 said: "BOTH HAVE OLD STYLE CYL. PIN, MUST HAVE BOUGHT THEM USED."

Didja bother to read in my post, where I said that I bought mine NEW ?

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

backporch22

SORRY PIETRO, WAS GOING BY THE PICTURES.  BOTH GUNS HAVE PUSH BUTTON CLY PINS INSTEAD OF THE NEW TYPE PULL DOWN TYPE.  CHANGE WAS MADE SEVERAL YEARS AGO TO KEEP PIN FROM ACCIDENTLY COMING LOOSE.  NO HARM INTENDED.

Dinadan

Pietro - This is the newer style Black Widow. (With my bird's head grips.) I do  

not know when the transition was made. So far as I know the only difference is  

the cylinder pin. While I do not doubt that your gun was "new" in that you are  

the first owner, I am guessing that your dealer had had it for a while.

Dinadan

I just noticed that the stamping on the frame and the barrel are different.  

I do not really prefer one over the other, both look good to me, though I would  

like the NAA eagle on the old style frame on mine.

grayelky

It will be hard to get an old style pin if you order a new one. It has been years since NAA made that type pin, and most distributors do not have the BW in stock.

I am with Dinadan. Either the dealer had it sitting around for quite a while or, someone traded in a new in the box old style, and the dealer sold it as new.

Pietro

If you experience problems with the pin coming out/loose under recoil, contact NAA. I suspect they will update it for you at no cost. If not, then no sweat, just enjoy it!