PUG's barrel

Started by luisg, August-08-12 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

luisg

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, I just purchased a new NAA-PUG-D and so far I love it. I do have a concern, I notice that the barrel extends a little bit into the cylinder chamber and that in the front of the gun it was not flush to the muzzle. After initial use, I notice that the part of the barrel that extended towards the cylinder area started to brake off. Anyone knows if this is normal? Or could this be a factory defect of this particular gun? It does not look right to me. I was using 22 Mag Winchester Super-X 40gr. Hollow Point Ammo, which as a side note, was hard to get into and out of the cylinder. I included some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about.  

L

gunfixer

Send a copy of this pic or a link to it, to tech support at NAA,

in my opinion it seems like you may have had a round go off  

"Out of Time" and "Shave" a bullet..

It looks like it may have a damaged forcing cone,

but they will tell you what to do..

Wayne Martin: [email protected]

Karl Prokop: [email protected]
-E!-

louiethelump

Your first photo is of lead deposits around the barrel extension from firing the gun and not cleaning it.  If you took your stainless toothbrush that you use for cleaning your guns and brushed the back of that barrel where it comes through the frame, that will come off as it is a buildup that is now flaking off.

Your second photo is of what they would call a recessed crown on the end of the barrel.  The recess is there to protect the rifling from damage in the even you bump the muzzle of the gun against something hard like keys in your pocket or a pocket knife.  A ding in the rifling itself will destroy any accuracy the gun has and the very end of the rifling needs to be protected.  At least it  is good to see that you actually have rifling in your barrel.  A run awhile back had almost none and yours looks great.

Just clean the gun and your problems will go away.  If you don't have a stainless cleaning brush (use the stainless brush sparingly) you can soak that for a few hours with cleaning solvent and probably get it off with a nylon brush.  The wire brush is just faster and will take that residue right off there.  The barrel is the whole front including the lug and all, and it threads through the frame and out the back and then the forcing cone is cut.  Yours looks normal, just dirty.

Welcome to the forum.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

luisg

Thanks for the responses. I emailed NAA support to see what they say.

Louie, it's hard to see in the picture but 1/4 of the barrel extension is missing, it actually looks like a "C" now instead of a "O". See the picture below, the red area is where the barrel extension is missing. That's what I'm talking about, not the lead deposit. Thanks for the cleaning tip though.

louiethelump

It appeared from the photo that the barrel extension was there, and the fouling that is peeling off is what you were talking about.  I see a lot of residue around the center pin hole too and you can see where the blast has been going around the pin itself and distributing itself into what looks like a hill.

If there is missing metal from the barrel extension, then it needs to go back.  I am seeing in two dimensions what you are seeing in three, so you have a better perspective.

Good luck.  They will fix you up.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

Dinadan

Luisg - welcome to this forum. Nice close up photos. I also think you have  

some buildup on the forcing cone area - it appears to be peeling off, and  

the barrel is solid steel so there should not be any part that would peel as  

in your photo. I would clean it like Louie suggested, then see if it looks  

like part of the forcing cone is missing.

luisg

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I just heard from NAA and they agreed that the forcing cone has been damage. I'll be sending the gun back for service.

grayelky

Luisg-

First, Welcome to the forum!.

Hate to hear of problems with a new gun, but, as an upside, you are about to experience the best customer service in existence. Also, since you are having to send it back, consider having a LR cylinder made for it. It will only cost you $50.00, and you can make that up in LR practice ammo over mag practice ammo in short order.

Just curious: Is there any evidence of the face of the cylinder rubbing against the rear of the barrel?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

luisg

Grayelky, sorry for the delay. No, the cylinder was not rubbing againts the barrel.

You guys were not kidding when you said it was the best customer service. I sent my gun last week for service and I got it back today. But they didn't fix the old one, they sent me a new PUG, that's what I call service! I also got and LR cylinder.  

Thanks NAA!

grayelky

Glad to hear you are happy. Now you need to go shoot some. No matter how much or how often you use their customer service, you will not get use to it, nor will you tire of it. I send customers guns in from time to time, as well as an occasional one I buy for the shop. I am always amazed and never disappointed!!!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

wheelerguy

I am new to the discussions and find them helpful. However, I am not new to NAA. I have a .22 mag with the short barrell and also a .22mag. Earl. I have noticed that some ppl are mentioning .22LR cylinders for practice. My question to those that have shot the mag & the LR which one do you find to be the most accurate?

RogueTS1

I find they are about the same.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.