New to NAA...Saftery Notch

Started by elchucko, August-23-12 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

elchucko

Just bought a 22 mag and find it's difficult to place the hammer into a notch on the cylinder. Bought the gun for my wife and she *really* can't do it (finger power). Common issue?

22man

for me finger power is less important than proper alignment

you DO need to be able to pull and hold the hammer back with your thumb, while you rotate the cylinder and squeeze the trigger slightly

there are some videos around that might help,,,,

practice with an empty gun is my suggestion

welcome to the forum

other posters might have some more advice....

louiethelump

Welcome to the forum.

Is it a matter of finger power or of the ability to hold onto the hammer with the thumb?

It does not really take much power, but you MUST control the hammer with the strong hand thumb.

I would suggest with the cylinder out on the table where it is safe, practice bringing the hammer all the way back to the fully cocked position, and then while controlling the hammer spur with the shooting hand thumb, lowering the hammer by pressing the trigger and lowering the hammer slowly.  To some, that movement is foreign and it takes a little practice to do it smoothly.  Once that is mastered, all that is required after loading the cylinder and placing it back in the gun, is to pull the hammer back a fraction of an inch, place the cylinder with the safety notch under the hammer (this will have one casing on either side of the hammer but NOT in the middle) and then lower the hammer into the safety notch.

If that is what is causing you both so much trouble, the single action revolver MAY not be the right gun for you guys.

Best of luck and be sure to keep it pointed in a safe direction.

The NAA single action guns are not really the best choice for someone not familiar with guns.

No, it is not a common issue.  But you can master it if you want to.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

22man

louiethelump

It appears we were typing at the same time......
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

22man

10-4,

either way I think Chuck got some good advice,,,,

and the video pretty well lays out the procedure.

if safe practice doesn't remedy the situation, you're right Louie they may need to explore other options,,,,,

gotta shoot what you're comfortable with....

jjccamis

Practice, practice, practice.  Once you and she have done it correctly once or twice, you'll go..."Oh, okay, now I see." As mentioned, please practice with an empty cylinder.
Not here for a long time, here for a good time!

grayelky

First, Welcome to the forum!

A couple of things that may help, a little:

A) S L O W L Y pull back on the hammer until you hear a "click", then just a little bit further. If you are applying slight pressure on the cylinder, as if to rotate it, you will feel it turn freely. This is what you are looking for.

B) Place your index finger of the weak hand on one side of the cylinder, in one of the flutes (the "scooped out" area) and your thumb in a flute on the opposite side. It is fairly easy to learn to find the "balance" point where both flutes are the same distance from the top of the frame.

C) Now you can lower the hammer into the safety notch

Like the others have said, a bit of practice (one of the things commercials are good for) will have you and your Bride placing your new mini in the safety notch w/o looking. If you bought your gun new, go back to your dealer if you still have difficulty getting the hang of it. He should be willing to help you. I sincerely hope he went over it before you left the store.

If it is a matter of strength, stop by Wally World's sporting goods department and pick up a hand exerciser, the type with individual springs for each finger. Or, go to the toy department and locate a rubber ball that offers some resistance and practice squeezing it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

elchucko

For now I feel more comfortable with "4 in the cylinder" as noted in the first comment in the video.

millsriver

All good advice, and you will know when it feels  safe with a new firearm after some practice.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

grayelky

Peace of mind is more important than 1 more round. Time will tell you when to add the 5th.

Let us know how you progress, and when you get your next mini...

uncle_harley

I never had a problem getting it into the safety notch,  I have trouble with it staying in the safety notch. So I started carrying 4 rds and feel much safer now.

keith44

how are you carrying your mini Uncle harley??  I carry mine in a DeSantis pocket holster in a front pocket.  I have not had it come out of the safety notch.  I climb ladders, stairs, up and down from a tractor, walk, sit, weed and hoe the garden, mow the lawn, use my scythe to clear trails in my woods, clear brush, etc.  No issues here with the safety notch.

kiawah

I think you need a better holster, if the hammer is somehow being drawn back out of the safety notch.

grayelky

At the risk of over simplifying, are you getting the hammer all the way down into the safety notch?

uncle_harley

it's a custom holster, Yes, I'm getting it all the way in, I didn't always have this problem. I can grab the cylinder and spin it right out of the notch without touching the hammer.   I had some trouble with failure to fires too,  replaced the main spring and that took care of that but it still doesn't want to stay in the cylinder notch.  Will probably send it in for work  once I get my sidewinder.

keith44

Sounds like the hammer nose is damaged, yes send it in

uncle_harley

it doesn't appear to be. no visible damage anyways

keith44

if you can spin the cylinder "out of the safety notch" either the hammer is not lowering into the notch (half cock catching hammer, or hammer blocked by something) or the hammer nose has chipped or worn down.  

Make sure you are holding the trigger back until the hammer is resting on the cylinder.  Pull the hammer to the fully cocked position, and control its fall with your thumb, as you lower the hammer you will feel the cylinder become free to move, turn the cylinder half of the rotation it takes to index it to the next live round.

uncle_harley

I'm fully aware how to lower into the notch LOL The hammer doesn't fully lower, I thik something is caught or hung up inside.  Thus the reason I plan to send it in as soon as my sidewinder comes in.

keith44

ahh Ok

Well, at least you will have the other one...

I hope it is a minor hang up and they can get your gun back to you quickly

rchrdhaluska

I have an NAA pistol but the cylinder does not have a safety notch. Where can I purchase a cylinder with a saftery notch system for my NAA long pistol in the So. California area ? Thanks for any help, Richard

RogueTS1

I believe NAA will provide one, free of charge if I am not mistaken, if you contact them.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

grayelky

First, Welcome to the forum!

You can find cylinders on eBay, at ridiculously high prices, BUT, you can simply mail your revolver to NAA with a note requesting the safety cylinder upgrade. They will return it to you, looking brand new on the outside and it will be brand new on the inside. You can contact Jessica (the customer service manager) and discuss it with her if you prefer.

As a side note, if it has no particular sentimental value to you, you might consider posting it on the For Sale page. There may be someone on here who would like to have it, and you could then purchase a new revolver of your choosing. (I would suggest a magnum, if you were to get a new one.) I know Californee has some ridiculous rules, so it may be of benefit for you to keep it. There are a number of forum members who live in the Great Confused State and I am sure they can offer guidance much better than I can on that topic.

You have succumbed to the same malady just about everyone makes: You saw a link that said "Start New Thread", so you did. This is actually within another thread. If you go back to the main page, and go alllllllll the wayyyyyyyyy down to the bottom of the page, you will see another "Start New Thread" link. That one will get your thread on the main "topics" page, where more members will see it. this would be the place to pose any questions regarding Cali.