BW vs. Earl vs. Sheriff: Which way to go?

Started by pete_on_the_coast, August-25-12 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

pete_on_the_coast

I'm trying to narrow down the best CCW choice - for me - between the following NAA .22's, and before buying I would appreciate feedback from those with experience with these models:

Black Widow:   I've only actually held a few NAA revolvers in my hand, and have never fired one, but I like the grip on this one, while some of the smaller models just don't feel secure in my hand.  I also like the fact that it has a 2" long barrel.   Seems to me there's very little difference in ballistics between .22 LR and .22 mag unless you have a barrel at least this long, and accuracy is better the longer the barrel.  It's a bit heavier than some, and a bit bulkier with the larger grip, but it seems like a serious SD weapon.    

Sheriff.  It has a slightly longer barrel at 2.5"  Can I put the BW grip on the Sheriff?  Any other advantages compared to the BW?

Earl.  It has a 3" barrel, and that's probably the limit for CCW, especially if the BW grip can be added (can it?).   That faux-lever locking pin - is that merely cosmetic or are there some advantages over the other NAAs?  Same question for the octagon barrel - any pluses or minuses there?

I've pretty much ruled out the Mini Master since its 4" barrel may be too long for CCW in my daily environment (warm climate, shorts & T shirt worn pretty much year round).   The Sidewinder, as I understand it, will be available with longer barrels than the initial model, but who knows how long that will be?   Also, I've read nothing about whether or how the SW will have a .22 LR conversion cylinder, and I definitely want a revolver that will shoot both cartridges.   (In fact, I wonder if a 3" barrel firing a .22 LR approaches the ballistics of a .22 WMR out of the 1 and 5/8 barrel?  But the main reason I want the dual capability is to be able to practice with .22 LR, and possibly talk my gun-shy wife into firing the gun).

This is a knowledge group, I've learned, so thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

ikoiko

See June 2012 Soap Box

"Orders can be placed for as many as two pieces, for which we will charge $349.00 ea.  Long rifle "conversion" cylinders will be available for $79.00 each.  Sales tax will be charged to those orders shipped to a UT address."

bud

I really like the B.W. with both cylinders the best.

That's just MPO.

millsriver

I agree with Bud. the B.W. with both cylinders is my favorite. I changed the grips to boot grips that fit my hand better, improve aim and are not a thick as the original grips.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

louiethelump

As an owner of all three you ask about I offer input.  Many will disagree.

The BW is probably the best choice for general use.  The heavy barrel and 2" length work to your advantage as a defense gun, as it LOOKS bigger than it is.  It is very easy to carry in most any method you want to use.  The 2" barrel DOES make a ballistic difference according to the charts posted on the NAA site.

The Sheriff has an octagon barrel and a little more length as you pointed out.  It is about the max for pocket carry and I had Concealment Holster Solutions (owned by a board member and a GREAT guy) make a custom pocket holster for me.  It is no problem.  I like the attachment method for the center pin and I like the octagon barrel with a front sight made as part of the barrel.  The biggest advantage to the Earl and Sheriff frames is the existence of the raised portion at the rear of the frame that allows for an actual sight groove for accurate shooting.  I see the Sheriff as more of a belt gun for light duty outdoors use.

The 3" Earl would be just a little too long for pocket carry, and if you have read the whole board you have seen that my 3" Earl is up for sale.  Nothing wrong with the lever up front but it is cosmetic but required to hold the center pin in.  

All the 22 magnum guns use the same grip frame and all can take any of the grips from the other.

I advise you to avoid the adjustable sight version of the BW.  The sights are high and require a different holster, and the guns actually shoot closer to point of aim with the fixed sights.

Get a Black Widow with both cylinders and you will be all set until the bug gets you fully bitten and you are lusting for another.

(the Wasp is a VERY nice version of the 1 5/8" guns as long as you don't dry fire it.  There have been a few broken Wasp hammer spurs and in each case dry firing was done on the gun before it broke)

Many will disagree with me (it is something they delight in doing) and this is just my opinion.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

boots

I have the end BW and am very happy with it.  I will get a Sidewinder if I can afford. Be sure to get both cylinders._

grayelky

I had planned on offering my input, but Louie pretty well covered it. I will add my personal preferences, which are not on your list.

I carry the 1 5/8 barrel mag. I also have a 1 1/8 barrel mag I carry some, but cannot tell the difference in my pocket. With that thought in mind, the BW is only 3/8" longer, so will it carry as well? I suspect so. The Sheriff is only 1/2" longer, than the BW. I could go on, but there is a limit. IF I were to get a BW, I would change the grips to the standard mag grips, as I suspect I would find the oversized grip too bulky for me. Once I got it, I may change my mind.

Of the choices you offered, I would suggest the BW. I have an Earl - or 3 - and shoot a 3". I like it, but would not pocket carry it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

45flint

If you can wait I would wait on the sidewinder.  I think in the long run  the swing out cylinder will  dominate after it has been out a while.

coopercdrkey

Until the Sidewinder is available in a barrel length of 2" or so, the NAA of choice, (for pocket carry), has to be the Black Widow.

I have both a BW and a Guardian 32.  The Guardian to me is a IWB pistol, whereas the BW can, (and probably should be) a pocket carry.

Others on the forum are NAA collectors.  I will be, if I ever have a surplus of disposable income!  I have owned, (and no longer do), a 1 5/8" magnum, a short, and a a 3" Earl.  They were all beautiful examples of gunsmithing art.  I encourage you to accumulate as many NAA's as you can afford and justify.

Make your first one a Black Widow, (IMHO).
NAA Black Widow
Bersa T380
NAA Guardian .32
Henry H001

Dinadan

Pete_on_the_coast - just to add to the very cogent remarks by others: I  

have a Black Widow and a 3" Earl and the BW is definitely a better fit for  

my pocket than the Earl. I do not care for the BW grip because of the bulk it adds,  

but as has been noted, any NAA Magnum frame revolver can use any Magnum grip.

I would go with the BW, but make sure to get one with a LR cylinder if you like  

plinking, and you can change grips if you want too. Veering away from your  

question, I will say that my favorite carry NAA magnums are the Pug (same as the BW but  

with a 1" barrel) and my 1 3/8" Magnum Mini. The ballistics are not as good as

with the BW and Earl, but they fit a pocket just perfect.

I have yet to see a Sheriff - all I can say is that it looks good.  

I would not wait around for a Sidewinder - I have a feeling it could be a long wait!

bleak_window

I don't think you can go wrong with the Black Widow with conversion cylinder.  It is a nice size and weight, and quite shootable with the rubber grip.  You can make the BW smaller for carry with a grip change, and there are plenty of good choices,

That said, I do think the Sheriff is one of the best designs, and I really like the look of it.  The ballistics should be a little better than the BW, and I think the Sheriff will ultimately prove to be a very collectable model, as they are not produced in nearly the numbers as some of the other minis.

heyjoe

Dinadan not to be nit picking but do you mean you like the 1 1/8 or 1/5/8 " mini magnum?
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

keith44

I would say the only bad choice would be if you chose one that you could not carry the way you want to.  For pocket carry the BW gets my nod (of the ones you mention)  My choice was the "standard mini" Magnum frame with both magnum and long rifle cylinder along with the 1 5/8 barrel.  The 2" barrel could only provide better ballistics numbers.

grayelky

Heyjoe-

I think he was just testing us to see if we were paying attention.....
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

jupiter7

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I first owned a BW, I found the length and size of the grip to be detrimental to my draw from a pocket. For defensive purposes only, the 1 1/8th with rosewood boots solved all problems. I also think that ballistics of 22wmr are much better than LR even in the shorter barrels, maybe 200-300 fps. I will buy a sidewinder in 2.5" when they are released, it'll make a nice, small kit style gun.

Dinadan

Heyjoe - I should have said 1 5/8" Magnum Mini. It (the 1 5/8") looks good  

in a traditional revolver way and the barrel is long enough to utilize some  

of the magnum potential.

pete_on_the_coast

Thanks to all who have responded so far, and I hope others will chime in as well.   Ikoido, I appreciate the link to the SW, I'm pretty new to the board and had missed that, didn't even know until Louis mentioned it that there was a separate page for buy sell trade!    The fact that the SW DOES have the dual cartridge capability gives me some incentive to wait for the longer barrel models to be available.   I know we all wish we knew when this will happen, and, I'm sure, what the cost will be.   $428 (cost of the initial SW including conversion cylinder) is a bit of a premium over the BW (Bud's has it for $304 including both cylinders) and is apt to be even greater if the cost of say, a 2.5" SW is $40-$50 higher still).   I'd probably pay that, actually, if it were available today and feedback from this group was favorable, but  . . . . that could be a long wait!

bleak_window

The rubber grip of the BW seems to generate strong opinions.  

My opinion is that it's easy for me to find and grasp in the pocket and the rubber does not snag on the fabric because my hand is around it.  The grip fits my hand perfectly for shooting.  I can deliver shots effectively and nobody is gonna take the gun out of my hand.