Ruger SP101

Started by quickdraw, October-08-10 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

quickdraw

I got to hold a Ruger SP101 this afternoon.  It seems like a solid gun.  What is the consensus on this forum concerning the gun?

redhawk4

I've come close to buying one on several occasions. They are a very strong and reliable gun and able to take the hottest loadings in 357 mag with out flinching. The trigger pull isn't considered the best by many. The only complaint I've regularly heard is the weight, the strength that makes it such a solid revolver makes it hefty for it's size.

I believe there are/were issues with the 327 Federal models, there's a sticky on the Ruger forum that explains that better than I will be able to.  

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46447">http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46447

Other than the screw up on the 327 models, it's certainly a solid workhorse that will last forever, but it's been eclipsed for many by the Ruger LCR for concealed carry purposes.  

It's funny you should ask about this, I saw one for sale today at an attractive price that I would not have been able to resist if I hadn't just ordered a Break Top.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

grayelky

I have an SP101 3" in 357. For my $.02 worth, they are too heavy for me to carry daily. Very nice gun, but I let my truck carry it.

My younger son has just gotten a 2" SP101 in 357, and is looking for a holster to make it his every day carry. The weight does not seem to bother him.

Aside from the weight, it is a very fine weapon. When being shot, the weight is a plus.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

scag13

The SP101 is not bad to carry in an iwb holster. I rotate it with a Glock 26 for daily carry...both are rock solid and I totally trust them. The 101 has the weight to make hot loads very comfortable.

silvershooter

I agree with the above posts. The sp101 2" in 357 was my first ccw gun about 13 years ago. It was solid, well made, powerful(180gr .357 out of this gun was impressive). At the time the weight didn't bother me too much. The biggest annoyance was the hammer stabbing me while seated(IWB holster). If I still had the gun I would get a trigger job to lighten the heavy DA pull. It was a big gun for only holding 5 rounds; that's probably why it's been overlooked by many.

sirbarkalot

I have owned a couple of them briefly.  VERY sturdy; VERY heavy for a 5 shot gun.  

I picked up a 3" used one in 32 H&R mag (6 shot) awhile back and ordered a Hogue wood grip for it.  While I reload 32 H&R, I could not find ANY factory ammo to carry in it, and sold the gun before the grip came in.  I figured to replace it with the same gun in 327 magnum, as that hotter round is more available and with 6 shots, and NEARLY 357 magnum power, it is a viable use gun.  I have not bought the 327 and used the funds for other silly things like NAA guns.

I do have the Blackhawk in 327 but it is HUGE.

I may never get the SP101 in 327, so if anyone needs or wants a brand new wood grip made by Hogue to dress up theirs, let me know and I will make you a deal on one.  (the rubber things they come with are butt ugly!)

Barky

morbius

I've had an SP-101 for a couple of years, now... and ordered it with the laser-sight in the handle. The only (very minor downside to that, is that your finger 'can' block the laser's output... simply because the emitter is on the right-side of the grip. But all ya have to do is 'train yourself'... like, if it's 'on'... batteries are good... and your pressing the momentary push-button switch at the front of the grip... if you don't see the 'dot'... you're likely blocking it with your finger (or, it's a bright sunny day). Some may question a 'laser-sight' in this application (vs. sniping/long range)... but, IMO, it lets you make a faster, more accurate draw (in an emergency situation), and you don't have to bring the weapon to eye-level... 'shooting from the hip', or any manner... is reduced to "point-n-shoot"...  just place the red dot where you want the round to go, and if you're practiced... you'll likely 'nail' the target, with a minimal amount of exposing yourself (in worse-case altercation scenario). So- the laser-sight (IMO) is definitely worth the money... and potentially, a life-saver.

I've been quite pleased with my SP-101, and the laser-sight (although, RED lasers are (or can be) more difficult to see in daylight... compared to green). I also like being able to use 38-special rounds in it, too... (a little cheaper when just practicing/target-shooting)... but the 357-mag. rounds will certainly put a "!" to your 'statement'...  and, likely lift some dust off the ground in a 6' to 8' radius around you.

Additionally- no worries if dropped on the hammer... you won't have an accidental firing, due to that.

If I had it to do over... I'd buy it again!... (with the laser-sight in the handle). I also have a 9-mm Beretta 92 FS... with an internal laser-sight (this one flashes... and ya have to make it a point to turn it on. But the laser-sight on the SP-101 is noticeably brighter)(and of course, the revolver is smaller, and weighs less... making it easier to conceal, and/or carry, just doing normal, daily stuff (getting in/out of car seat... and not being quite as 'obvious')).

In fact... I recently bought my mini 22-mag revolver (with belt-clip) for that very reason... for those times when you don't want a heavy pistol, or noticeable 'bulge' (in the wrong place) ; ) ... and this NAA 22-mag fits the bill... fits the belt... the pocket... and probably, 'inside the pants', too... if ya choose to go that way.

Initially, I had some trepidations regarding a '22' for defense. But- having never fired a 22-MAGNUM before, I was hoping that between the rounds being 'mags'... and, hollow-point too... when 'push comes to shove', for 'close-in' situations, it'll definitely do more than 'leave a mark'... or 'just p!ss 'em off'. Yeah... I 'spose (with the hollow-points), it will do some internal damage, causing internal bleeding in copious abundance... and not just leave a simple 'small hole', like a nail. But again... that's just my opinion.

snubsforme

I almost bought one this past spring.  I really liked the solid heft and good looks but the length of the trigger pull didn't work for me.

My hands are average size with thin fingers.  When the trigger was almost fully back to the release point my finger tip would pull back onto the rear of the trigger guard and stop the reward motion.  If I pulled quickly, to overcome this tendency, then I would get pinched by the back of the trigger.

willr

SP101 in .327 Fed Magnum is stongly recommended.

willr

wiseguy

I love my SP101, I also rotate with my Glock 26 in a OWB concealment holster. Some may say they're too heavy or only 5 shooters, but I think if I want to carry and have the proven performance of full power 357 magnum loads I would rather do so in something with some weight that I shoot with control.

niterider

The secret is to get decent holsters and a belt meant to hold up more than your pants. I can not recommend a decent gun belt enough. I carry an SP101 and a mini mag daily (tac light, knife, speed strips, wallet, keys, phone ect in the pockets)and some days per week a Smith 637 also. Repeat after me:get yourself a GOOD GUN BELT !

grayelky

What Niterider said about the belt, read it again. And then read it again. There is so much truth there.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

redhawk4

Niterider +1 on good belt and holster, I can carry my 44 mag 4" Redhawk comfortably all day with the Simply Rugged holster I have. I have smaller lighter guns that I haven't quite got the right holster for and they are downright uncomfortable in no time.

A Wiseguy says weight is your friend when you come to fire it. I would have no issues with carrying an SP101 in the right holster, I just don't notice weight if it isn't moving around against me. The other benefit of some of the heavier guns is they last forever and you can be as close to 100% sure as you ever can be, that they won't let you down at the wrong moment.  

The only reason I don't have one is the first time I was going to buy one I ended up buying a S&W and now to get one would be doubling up to some extent on similar revolvers. I will still probably get one if I see one at the right price, the prices seem to be coming down from where they were at the beginning of the "Obama Scare" and of course the recession is hitting many.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

chopprs

Don't know the guy, have one of his belts....unsurpassed by any!!!!

http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm">http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm

quickdraw

Was there anyone interested in brand new wood grips for Sp101

chopprs

I don't know but I do know where you can get some free "Japedo" grips!

sirbarkalot

That is where he got the SP101 grips..............

chopprs

sirbarkalot

Here they are if someone wants..........

pezo

I carry a 2 1/4" dao .357 mag sp101 as a primary gun everyday almost. (Mini-mag is the always on me and is backup to ruger). I trust my life to the reliability of the ruger. I keep it loaded with remington 125 grain .38+p semi-jacketed hollowpointes. I carry it in a leather de-santis holster IWB, strong side. You cannot go wrong with an sp101 for a defense revolver.

quickdraw

So no one out there wants some brand new Ruger sp101 grips.

jeffrey

Had one of them for around 10 years.  The gun was polished, smoothed and given a full combat package with stock springs.  Wonderful revolver and one of my favorites.

engineer88

I saved up for several months and bought one right before they announced the break tops.  

But I love it.  Mine is the 2" DAO version.  It will see trigger work, a new front sight and a nice holster and I suspect it will definitely find its way into the carry rotation soon thereafter.

They are so solid and I personally think they are good looking too.  

sirbarkalot

Was that you that sold a set of grips for SP101 on Ruger Forum?  They went in about 10 minutes I think........  If it was not you, go list them there

quickdraw

I sold em there.

sirbarkalot

Good.  Was going to offer to take them back and I would sell them there, but you did very well.  good stuff does not last long there......

Barky

antares_b

I'm interested in this gun and was leaning toward the .327 because of the six shots, but the scarcity and cost of the ammo are making me reconsider.

Assuming that the early problems with the .327 models have been resolved, what's the consensus on this forum about which is the better SP101: .327 or .357?

quickdraw

I have the .357 and it is a hot load.  I like the power range you can choose to have on it.  With that said, the extra round of the .327 is worth thinking about.

lohman446

I love my SP101 and carry it over my airweight.  I had originally bought it as a trail gun to carry hard cast ammo for the trails but it has effectively replaced the airweight.  I opted for the 3" barrel to get more effect from the 357 mag.  I joke when I have it that my backup weapon is a club, and would have no doubt it could work as such and still fire later.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

mayvik

I have a GP100 in .327 Fed.  IMO it is an excellent cartridge.  Ammo is not Walmart-able, but I haven't found it to be THAT scarce.  High pressure, high velocity, moderate recoil, flat shooting.  I imagine recoil is a little stiffer in the smaller SP, but it kicks like a snubby 38 with standard pressure loads in my GP (those Hogue Monogrips are very good at soaking recoil).  Should be pretty simple to reload if you're set up for it and can find/shoot enough brass.  I really hope someone comes out with a lever carbine soon, both to boost ammo production and so I can get one!

Also, don't forget you can shoot .32 H&R, and .32 S&W in both lengths out of it.  The S&W ammo is pretty available and affordable for plinkery (Prvi makes some that IIRC is in the $14/50 range).  Obviously not as cheap as .22LR but it's getting you down into the 9mm price bracket for range time.  

Another bonus of the SP is that while you do get an extra shot, you can actually find 6 round speedloaders in .32.  I have no recourse but use strips with the GP, since it's a 7 shooter.

scrounger

I own a Ruger KSP-321XEN TALO Premier stainless edition.  It is the basic Ruger workhorse in .357 snubby with fancy engraving and special rubber grips plus wooden insert panels.

antares_b

red14

Welcome, Morbius, to the forum.  

I have a SP 101 in 327, though I mostly shoot 32 long wadcutters.  I also have a Smith and Wesson 63 in 22 cal.  I practice with the Smith mainly, and then shoot around 12 in the Ruger.  The Smith is a little heavier, and it really helps my accuracy with the Ruger!

In answer to the OP, I love mine!  It is my most accurate gun.
''I'm a humble man, indeed, I have a lot to be humble for.''

lauraslookout

I had a SP101 in 32mag with 3" barrel. Trigger was stiff, cylinder would bind after shooting and not swing open without a good bit of effort combined with ammo cost/availability I parted with it. I previously owned one in 38spl (2") and had no complaints with it. Jim

sharpblade

I like them also.