Uncle Mike's #2 for 1 5/8" magnum: Yes or no?

Started by emskee, September-24-12 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

emskee

Long time listener, first time caller.  Got my first NAA, 1 5/8" magnum conv last week.

Nice.  I'm good for 2.25" groups, LRs, one handed, 7 yards muzzle to paper. Did I say nice?

Okay.  I've spent about 45 minutes trying to search out a yay or nay on Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster for this size weapon.  My searching skills are obviously lacking.

Can any of you help a brother out?

Thanks,

Mike

millsriver

I have not tried the Uncle Mikes #2 for the 1 5/8" magnum. However, I my LGS that has always insisted that trying the firearm in the holster before buying the holster. They usually have a duplicate firearm in the display. This is the best way to make sure.
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

scbuxton

Welcome friend!  

Why Uncle Mike's? Are you partial to them? Nothing wrong with that, just a lot of really good options right here on the forum we are fortunate to have some really good holster makers.

First class leather for a quality handgun!

therevjay

Nothing wrong with a "Uncles Mikes" really but I like the roughout ones sold on the NAA website better.

If you want a fancier one several posters on this site make them.
"I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way".....Mark Twain

emskee

All the other holsters refered to by other posters on this site are accounted for, that is to say, information regarding fitment is fully stated and as such I have no questions regarding those.

One holster, which remains a single option amongst the many, is the Uncle Mike's and for that holster I can find no fitment data.  

My question is whether the Uncle Mike's #2 is the proper holster to fit to my 1 5/8" Magnum.

I thank you all for your responses and also thanks for the welcome Scbuxton!

Mike

stevez

Have an Uncle Mike's #2 and use it with my .22WMR 1 1/8th with rubber oversized grip.  Love it.  Fits comfortably and very minor profile.

emskee

Stevez,

Dig it.

Is there an extra 1/2" down there to accomodate the longer barrell without the pistol riding butt high?  

Mike

stevez

it's close. About 1/3rd inch actually.

scbuxton

Hey Emskee, what kinda brother are you any way?  

(Can any of you help a brother out?)

Have you seen the light? Whither dost thou travel?

emskee

Stevez,

Cool, thanks.

Scbuxton,

Once a brother-in-arms, still a brother to 2 sisters, silence the "r" (for example on the 364 days which are not Talk Like A Pirate Day), and I'm simply a bother.

I've seen many lights.  Marlboro for eg.  Told not to go towards the light because it means you die.

I doth travel NE Ohio, mainly between Bainbridge TWP and work at NASA GRC in Cleveland.  Further, I doth travel oft to the bathroom as my prostate and I are at odds of late.  Alas.

Mike

mainstreet

This is my 1 5/8 mini mag in the #2.

mainstreet

Here is my 1 5/8 mini mag in the NAA HPK-L Pocket Holster.

emskee

Mainstreet,

Now, that's what I'm talking about! Nothing beats pictures.  The #2 looks a bit deep, outline breaking but how's retrieval? the HPK-L looks optimal for draw.

Thank you sir.

Mike

appliancejunk

I just posted a HPK-L for sale in the Buy-Sell-Trade board.

emskee

Aj,

Thanks.  One reason I was shying away from the HPK-L is that in the NAA site photo, the hammer is highly exposed.  In Mainstreet's photo, the hammer is covered which I like and was surprised to see given the NAA site photo.  (Are there production variations in this model?)

Does your's footprint out like Mainstreet's?

Thanks,

Mike

mainstreet

HPK-L vs #2. It is slightly harder to get a grip with the #2, so I carry my 1 5/8 in the HPK-L, even though it prints more. I carry my Black Widow in the #2.

appliancejunk

I think the additional ammo pouch on the HPK-L helps break up the outline of a gun when it's in your pocket.

appliancejunk

Some quick photos... 22 mag with 1 5/8"  

http://concealmentholstersolutions.com">http://concealmentholstersolutions.com - Highly recommend

My photo does not do the leather holster justice.

Will try and take some better outdoor photos of it later and post them in a new topic along with a little review with my thoughts. I'm really impressed with this holster.

shoe2

I carry a Mini 1 1/8 barrel in the smallest Desantis holster.  The holster was too loose, so I added some stitches to make it stand upright.

The picture with the red twist tie shows about where the stiching was added.  

./discus/messages/670/32743.html

I perfer the Desantis to the Uncle Mikes because there they are a little stiffer and use less foam.

Shoe2

emskee

My short list WAS the Concealment Specialties Stays-Put Ultra Model NAA / NAAWMP, the  Concealment Holster Solutions Traditional and the Uncle Mike's #2.

Well, I got my answer:  the Uncle Mike's #2 is no longer on my list.

Thank you all.

So now I need to coin flip between the two remaining.  Though my coin might be a bit biased towards the leather.

jjccamis

At the risk of being accused of spamming again, here is my contribution to the holster thread.  This is an RKBA holster.
Not here for a long time, here for a good time!

appliancejunk

"So now I need to coin flip between the two remaining."

When in doubt buy them both. ;)

Jjccamis, looks nice...

heyjoe

id like one of those for the sidewinder
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

jjccamis

Mainstreet,  That BW of yours is one sweet piece of machinery!  Looks great with the boot grips.  You must be proud of it.  I may make that my next objective.
Not here for a long time, here for a good time!

G50AE