Dual conversion cylinder???

Started by Bluelitenin, March-14-13 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluelitenin

If one were to own two magnums, such as a pug and a mini master, could one LR cylinder
be fitted to work in both guns? This would be cost effective. Does anyone know if this is
possible. I think maybe not, because they need to be fitted or timed to the gun, so manufacturing
differences might suggest that one cylinder couldnt be timed to two different guns. Interseting

cedarview kid

They might work by chance, but you would have to check. I have no idea about making them match.

(I'm a lot of help, eh?)

TwoGunJayne

When you fire a revolver that is "out of time," that is to say that the cylinder does not align with the barrel... you get lots of flakes of lead scattering all around you and all over.

Yeah, you get reduced velocity, yeah, you get reduced projectile mass and velocity...

...but you get lead bits all over you. Get your cylinders timed to the piece. It increases projectile mass, velocity, and reduces the bits of lead all over you.

Will it "sort of work," yeah... it will mostly work with .22 lr firing soft lead bullets. Yeah. Will it work? Yeah. Is it the best way?

boone123

It will work fine if the chambers all line up perfect with barrel. The chances of that are very good. If it doesn't line up with the gun your trying it in, it probably isn't lining up right in the gun it came from.

TwoGunJayne

I agree, in "ye olde" black powder military revolver days, you "just swapped cylinders."

For the most part, yes, it really did work. I don't try to deal in guesses, and if I do I'm being lazy that day and I apologize in advance.

Stuff can be out of time, stuff can be out of spec. If you had an old military BP revolver and try the cylinders of a dozen others in it... would it work? Yeah, mostly. It was by design.

The main problem is that as you make it smaller and smaller, does it work for sure? This is the bane of any smaller and smaller maker. It shouldn't hurt to have it checked. I've fired enough rounds to send a few "back to the shop" before. If everything is new-ish and you swap, should it work? Yeah, mostly. As we bash the heck out of our pieces by firing thousands and thousands of rounds more through them... well... you know...

Murphy happens. Should it work? Yeah. It should.

boone123

Thats why I said, if the chambers all line up with the barrel, perfect. I have never seen a cylinder that was fitted to a NAA revolver by doing anything to the cylinder star or the cylinder bar notches. I would bet if you got a mini and the cylinder didn't line up, they would make sure the cylinder was up to specs first, and if it was they would replace the gun.. I think about the only thing that might have to be fitted would be the pawl. If it was to long, it would break if the pressure was on it to much when pushing against the cylinder when you cocked the gun. I have a Pug that had that happen to. Sent it in and the pawl was replaced. It also was to long, but I caught it before it broke again and shortened it to fit.
If the pawl was to short it wouldn;t turn the cylinder far enough to let the cylinder bar lock the cylinder.
I would bet that mostly the guns there are assembled and checked without much, or in some cases no hand fitting..
Could be I don't know what I am talking about. Wouldn't be the first time.

Dinadan

Bluelitenin - First, I would recommend getting an NAA timed cylinder.

Second: I have a couple of Magnum Minis that I shoot with LR cylinders timed for other guns. What you need to do is get a rod such as a wooden dowel that is pretty much exactly the same diameter as the bore on your gun: you insert the dowel from the muzzle and verify that it slides into each of the cylinder chambers without hitting the front of the cylinder. If the chambers line up with the barrel then it is fine.

I do not want to be dismissive about the danger of an untimed cylinder, but when we talk about revolvers we are talking about mechanical designs that have been around for 170 years. It is not like those more recently invented internal combustion engines with tight tolerances, or one of those new fangled vacuum tubes that have to be just perfect for your radio to work.

Bluelitenin

That is about what I figured. I have a mini master and would like a Pug. I thought I
could send both in to NAA and get one cylinder to use in either gun, if possible.
Thanks.

RiverRat9533

I have two companions and something like six cylinders, checked each one individually and have them separated by gun. Something I have not seen mentioned yet is the cylinder gap. The timing has been covered pretty well, the gap should be checked as well, these little guns can produce nasty powder burn to a finger or three just because of how close everything is when fired.
The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

boone123

Big cylinder gap fix would require that the gun be sent in and rebarreled, as I think all the cylinders are the same lenght.

RiverRat9533

For the most part they are, just like timing is since its all machined. Stuff happens, when fitting a cylinder to a frame after checking timing, check cylinder gap. When purchasing a revolver it's wise to check both. Either one will effect on a revolver
If it was fool proof, this thread wouldn't be here. 
The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

the enforcer

I have a  pug an a mini master just reading the above info both are new guns just thinking from what I have read above is be ok to try my mini 22lr cylinder in my Pug ?

autofull

i repair weapons,40yrs of experience here, send them in to naa. they will perform the work required and you will be a very happy camper. please trust me on this.  kevin.