So how far is it?

Started by Ruger, November-13-17 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog

When I was living out in the middle of nowhere in Illinois, I made a range with railroad ties and telephone poles and dirt.  There was approximate 200 yards to sit on the porch and shoot rifles and you could go out and shoot closer with Minis and other handguns.  It was a great deal, and I shot nearly everyday back then.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Ruger

Yeah, home ranges are nice to have, but I find I shoot a lot alone.  It isn't that easy to get others over to shoot; seems so much easier to meet "At The Gun Range" elsewhere.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

boone123

Is it OK to dream?   Awesome.

lign

Well, dang. Y'all have some nice places to shoot. I grew up shooting in the backyard. Lots of acres of swamp behind us. In fact, my brother and I set up a pulley rope target from the rail of the porch upstairs from outside his room. We didn't even have to go downstairs to change targets.

That was a long time ago and the two ranges within 30 miles charge astronomical per-person fees. My kids would have a fit if I went without them and I can't afford to take all of us. Haven't been in years...   :-[  :-\

Ruger

Quote from: boone123 on November-15-17 08:11
Is it OK to dream?   Awesome.

I dream of building a platform with cover, installing a shooting bench, enough room for three/four shooters.  But I hesitate because I like to vary the distance to the targets, and a platform would tend to make me stationary.  Plus I think I would have to build it out at 100 yds, 'cause you can't shoot through the darn thing if it was at 75, or 50, etc.  I now use a light weight tall folding table for both loading and bench resting, but a cool classy shooting deck would be neat.  Just a dream.

45flint

This is actually the issue that made me get back into collecting high quality vintage airguns when I retired.  Live in the center of town with a nice back yard.  Walk 20 yards and shoot or even in the house in winter.  Hard to beat.

To Old To Run

Ruger
Looks like a well built backstop. I would love to have something like that in my back yard.
The place I where I used to shoot was nothing fancy, just a nice little spot out in the middle of no-where.
I would take a lawn chair, a folding table and few things to shoot at and, lets not forget, my thermos of coffee.  I was never in a hurry to leave.

Ruger

Quote from: To Old To Run on November-16-17 06:11. . . . . . I would take a lawn chair, a folding table and few things to shoot at and, lets not forget, my thermos of coffee.  I was never in a hurry to leave.

Man, that sounds so nice.  Especially the coffee in the morning at the range, taking your time to work your way thru the gun selection of the day.  Nice.

To Old To Run

I used to think I had a nice selection of guns, until I joined this forum, come to find out I'm a novice.
Most of the members here have some beautiful guns and a lot of them.

JRobyn

About 10 ft out the front door.....

Ruger

Quote from: To Old To Run on November-16-17 07:11
I used to think I had a nice selection of guns, until I joined this forum, come to find out I'm a novice.
Most of the members here have some beautiful guns and a lot of them.

With that thought, I "Googled" what the average was for gun owners.  I found a comforting array of different numbers, averages, spreads, "facts", etc.  Some articles said the average firearm owner has 17 firearms, other articles said 8; some articles made comparisons to the total population, other articles estimated how many homes had guns, but they weren't really sure.  Some gave statistics of just the gun community, but admitted they didn't know exactly what that meant.  Most quoted getting their numbers from the FBI, Police associations, CDC website, etc.  It showed me that no one really knows how many we have, what the average gun guy has, how many really per household, etc., etc., etc.  Cool - they really don't know.

To Old - I would say that whatever you got is great, but you need at least one more . . . . .

tocsn40

So the gravel pits around have been the go to for shooting in my neck of the woods. The map i have posted was the best i have had but now is closed do to dumb ass not picking up after them selfs
Tocsn40

Shovel-ready project

Wow, I am starting to realize how much I am missing. Grew up in the inner city, first firearm I ever touched was an M-16 owned by Uncle Sam.

Now, the nearest pistol range is not safe (IMO) so I drive about an hour each way to a better one. And still I think life is good!

ajw65

5 miles, I belong to a club, after 10 yrs membership was awarded lifetime membership, no dues at all now.