What loads do you carry and WHY?

Started by lign, November-05-17 21:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Canoeal

I think it is the high volume of slower powder (rifle round) that causes the bullet to be affected as it leaves the barrel. Real flamethrower...JMO
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Quote from: The Dawg House on November-07-17 21:11
CCI maxi mag jhp. I didn't choose this to expand out of a pug. It won't! It will deform and cavitate though. That is what I want out of a .22 bullet. Another plus is penetrating because of the lack of expansion.  Personally, I'll take the risk of over penetration with such as small bullet exiting a small gun.
If you wanted penetration why the Pug? The BW would seem a more logical choice...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

burncycle

Quote from: Canoeal on November-19-17 22:11
CCI maxi mag jhp. I didn't choose this to expand out of a pug. It won't! It will deform and cavitate though. That is what I want out of a .22 bullet. Another plus is penetrating because of the lack of expansion.  Personally, I'll take the risk of over penetration with such as small bullet exiting a small gun.
If you wanted penetration why the Pug? The BW would seem a more logical choice...

Because with the appropriate load you'll get sufficient penetration either way.   

With 40gr FMJ (or a similar weight JHP that doesn't expand) the Pug, despite it's short barrel, will send it fast enough to penetrate deeper than my preferred 9mm carry load (147gr HST +P) at ~16" vs ~14".  Of course the 9mm destroys a significantly higher volume of tissue.

tocsn40

With my first mini it was nikle plated only as the matched the stainless.
Tocsn40

lign

Quote from: tocsn40 on November-20-17 07:11
With my first mini it was nikle plated only as the matched the stainless.
That's awesome. I do love shiny silver cartridges in any caliber!

blue_heron

I like the Gold Dots or the Hornady Critical Defense for my Pug.

The Dawg House

Quote from: Canoeal on November-19-17 22:11
The more logical choice would be to carry my 9 or 380 instead of a 22 with a 1" barrel. I don't own a BW. I own a Pug. I get roughly 13"-15" penetration with CCI Maxi-Mags JHP. That is sufficient.

Dragon 1

Use in my Pug CCI MINI MAXI +v but in my shop in my pistol  on my belt Gold dot 9mm 124+p in my sw 340 in my left pocket corbon 38 spl 110+p when you can find corbon before remington try to put them out of business  by cutting them off from getting barnes bullets remington owns barnes bullets.  Around town my Pug is so nice and with CCI 22 mag maxi +v to me is one of the best loads for these and all other 22 magnums my opp only does not mean anything. 

srgranke

I now carry CCI 22lr Mini-MAG 26 HP, this is due the the Ammo-Quest testing done by Shooting the Bull 410.

To Old To Run

Quote from: srgranke on November-27-17 18:11
I now carry CCI 22lr Mini-MAG 26 HP, this is due the the Ammo-Quest testing done by Shooting the Bull 410.

DId you mean 36gr CCI mini mag ?
Last time I heard he was going to do a follow up on the Stingers,Yellow Jackets. Velocitors that he couldn't get a hold at the time, Did I miss it.?

Bj

The Ranger II will be my first 22 Mar when I get it.  First I ordered 500 rounds of sci speed gold dot from targetsportsusa.com which I have already.  It looks like it is still available. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gd-sb-22-wmr-ammo-40-grain-jhp-0954-p-4312.aspx?keyword=22%20wmr%20gold%20dot    14.99 per 50.

Today I ordered 500 rounds of Tornado Critical Defense from Cabelas at 14.99 per 50 using code 7holiday for free shipping.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/hornady-reg-critical-defense-mag-ammunition/1338900.uts?slotId=13

And for cheaper shooting to get started I also ordered 500 rounds vs of CCI 40 grain TMJ at 9.99 per 50 from Cabelas.   http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/cci-rimfire-ammunition/705571.uts?slotId=1

Ordering this ammo kind of makes me tho k that the expense of the firearm is maybe the easy part for expenses.

RangerJim

I'm with you, Bj ...  I also ordered 500 of each of them (Speer and Hornady), in anticipation of the Ranger II.  My wallet still won't talk to me ...   :o

But on another note ...  I personally can't wait to get a range report from you on those "Tornado" Critical Defense rounds!  They sound LETHAL!   ;)

[ya' gotta love autocorrect]
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Bj

Quote from: RangerJim on December-01-17 08:12
But on another note ...  I personally can't wait to get a range report from you on those "Tornado" Critical Defense rounds!  They sound LETHAL!   ;)
[ya' gotta love autocorrect]

Spell checker got me again.

MtGoat

Quote from: Bj on December-01-17 07:12
The Ranger II will be my first 22 Mar when I get it.  First I ordered 500 rounds of sci speed gold dot from targetsportsusa.com which I have already.  It looks like it is still available. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gd-sb-22-wmr-ammo-40-grain-jhp-0954-p-4312.aspx?keyword=22%20wmr%20gold%20dot    14.99 per 50.

Today I ordered 500 rounds of Tornado Critical Defense from Cabelas at 14.99 per 50 using code 7holiday for free shipping.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/hornady-reg-critical-defense-mag-ammunition/1338900.uts?slotId=13

And for cheaper shooting to get started I also ordered 500 rounds vs of CCI 40 grain TMJ at 9.99 per 50 from Cabelas.   http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/cci-rimfire-ammunition/705571.uts?slotId=1

Ordering this ammo kind of makes me tho k that the expense of the firearm is maybe the easy part for expenses.

Made me look.
I thought maybe there was a new 22 mag in town.
Tornado Critical Defense is a good name to start with.

Pat

srgranke

Quote from: To Old To Run on November-28-17 13:11
Quote from: srgranke on November-27-17 18:11

DId you mean 36gr CCI mini mag ?
Last time I heard he was going to do a follow up on the Stingers,Yellow Jackets. Velocitors that he couldn't get a hold at the time, Did I miss it.?

Yes you are correct 36 grain is what I actually carry.

HarleyXJGuy

Quote from: grayelky on November-05-17 21:11
First choice is Hornady Critical Defense, 45 gr bullet. A VERY close 2nd is Speer Gold Dot, 40 gr bullet. Both are designed for short barreled pistols, and have less muzzle flash than the "normal" 22 mag loads. In my limited tests, the Hornady penetrates slightly better. I suspect it's extra 5 grain weight is a factor. Both expand about the same.

Was all excited to chime in with my two cents......

Then I fond the second post is exactly what I had to add.

But yeah this.

WECSOG

My "town" load is Hornady C.D. FTX. I'm not concerned about expansion, I just think the heavy 45 grain bullet in a load optimized for the short barrel will maximize penetration.

My preferred "woods" load is Winchester Dyna-Point. Again 45 grains, which I like. It is a milder load that is easier to shoot accurately, won't damage as much meat on small game, and easier on the ears. Also easier on the wallet.
In warm season woods carry, the first two rounds are snake shot.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"