Grip advice

Started by LushBob, December-13-17 10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

LushBob

Hi everyone.  I recently purchased a 3 inch Earl, and I really like the looks of it.  But after a couple sessions at the range I'm not too sure about the boot grips.  My hands are pretty big and I just don't feel my grip is secure, and I didn't shoot it very well.  Yeah I know, practice will help.  It certainly did with my Pug and it's Hogue grip.  That grip feels more sticky.  I purchased the Earl as woods gun, and a plinker.  I don't plan to conceal carry it, that's what the Pug is for.  But I'm considering getting larger grips for the Earl.

My question is, for those who have used the larger rubber (or wood) grips and the holster grip, do you think one or the other gives you an inherently more stable grip?    Thanks in advance--

LushBob

Any advice on holster vs rubber grips?

LHB

The large Black Widow/Mini Master grips give more to hold on to, in either rubber or wood.

grayelky

One of the most popular grips seem to be the CVang. I have a couple of pair, and like them. I also like the MiniMaster/BW grips. It's a personal thing, but I don't care for the holster grip. Since you don't plan on concealing the Earl, my choice would be the MM, or CVang.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Warthog

CVang makes good grips for big hands, they are my favorites.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: grayelky on December-15-17 22:12
One of the most popular grips seem to be the CVang. I have a couple of pair, and like them. I also like the MiniMaster/BW grips. It's a personal thing, but I don't care for the holster grip. Since you don't plan on concealing the Earl, my choice would be the MM, or CVang.

I will second this 100%.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

Yeah I'll have to jump on the CVang bandwagon as well. Very comfortable in hand without all the bulk of the NAA oversized grips.

zburkett

My trail gun is a 3" Earl with Black Widow grips.  I also find the stock grips don't fit my hand well.  Recently a friend was at the range and picked up my Earl and rang an 18' gong at about 80 feet five out of five the first time he held it.

LushBob

Thank you, gentlemen.  I'm not getting much love for the holster grips!  I'll check out the CVangs and decide between those and the BW-type, and get back to you-all :)

JRobyn

I haven't used the holster grip or CVangs, but both just look "off" to me.

I am a huge fan of the oversized rubber (MiniMaster/Secret Service/Black Widow) grips.  IMHO, they provide the most secure and repeatable grip possible.  With little actual penalty in concealability.

The oversized Rosewood are a close second - not quite as secure as the rubber, but sure look nicer.

Warthog

MY Black Widow with CVang Grips and a pocket holster from Rick Jorgenson.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Scott Free

I have C-Vang style grips on my BW and really like them (mostly because of how they look on the gun.) I don't think they give any more control, though, than the original big rubber grips that come with the BW.

My advice is... If you want functional but cheap, go with the rubber oversize grips. If you want functional and COOL, go for the C-Vangs.

rattlehead

I've tried them all and to me, the oversized rubber BW/MM style grips just can't be beat. Definitely the most stable and comfortable IMHO.

redhawk4

Not for the first time in my life I find myself in a minority of one, but I think the CVang grips look horrible. My apologies to those who have them :) I can see how they could improve the hold and control, but just couldn't do that to a Mini.

Has anyone ever tried these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/North-American-Arms-Mother-of-Pearl-Magnum-Boot-Grips/201489348941?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49565%26meid%3Dc9a667ccb9fe4ef88c22a60dadd1f93d%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D202140651006&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

smokeless joe

Quote from: Scott Free on December-16-17 10:12
My advice is... If you want functional but cheap, go with the rubber oversize grips. If you want functional and COOL, go for the C-Vangs.
Sound advice!

smokeless joe

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-16-17 10:12
Not for the first time in my life I find myself in a minority of one, but I think the CVang grips look horrible. My apologies to those who have them :) I can see how they could improve the hold and control, but just couldn't do that to a Mini.
When I first saw them they didn't appeal to me but they soon grew on me. Once I fired my mini with a set I was quick to buy another pair.

redhawk4

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-16-17 10:12
Quote from: redhawk4 on December-16-17 10:12
When I first saw them they didn't appeal to me but they soon grew on me. Once I fired my mini with a set I was quick to buy another pair.

It can work that way sometimes.

WECSOG

CVangs do look different, no doubt about it. I don't think they look bad; just kinda stark and modernistic. I understand though that they are designed for function over form.
I wonder if the maker of CVang grips has ever considered selling a version without the upper portion that extends along the frame. Not saying I want a set like that, but it might appeal to some people who don't like the standard CVangs.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

bleak_window

I'm not a fan of the CVang grips.  The large rubber or rosewood grips are the best for accuracy and control.

Warthog

CVang is pretty receptive when you email him and tell him what the grips might be better off having or not having so you should try telling him about the upper part and see what might happen.

I understand the compressed wood the grips are made of then dyed so they look like they're real wood can turn some folks off.  I like the way they look, I think they make the gun.
-Albert Einstein

Arts09

Another option are these grips from "Thing Meister Fabrication". You have your choice of what hardwood,color and finish you would like to use. These are made from Mahogany and as close to a rosewood color he could get them with a high gloss finish.

zburkett

LushBob, I had the holster grip on my 3" Earl.  I carry my 1 5/8" and folding holster grip every day in my off side front pocket clipped butt forward.  The 3" Earl isn't comfortable that way so I put the holster on the 1 5/8" convertible and went to the oversized BW grip for the Earl.  If I was taller I might have a different attitude.  Folding holster grip great for carry and better than the grip that comes with the Earl for shooting.  The oversized BW grip just a little more comfortable to shoot.

grayelky

Redhawk-
No apologies are needed. You have the right to be wrong!   ;D

It took me a while to get used to the looks, but since they spend more time inside my pocket than outside, it just has not been an issue. The newest edition are just a little bit larger and more rounded. I prefer the thinner, less slick originals he started out making. Just this morning I took the older brown grips (a color I don't care for), and moved them from a Black Jack that gets used around the house to a my Wasp that spends a lot more time in my pocket away from the house. The BJ now wears the newer, fatter, slicker black/gray ones.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

redhawk4

Quote from: grayelky on December-16-17 13:12
Redhawk-
No apologies are needed. You have the right to be wrong!   ;D

And there I was thinking it was the rest of you that were wrong :(

MR_22

Everybody is right in the decisions they make for themselves. Then it doesn't matter if everybody else is wrong.

Dinadan

QuotePosted by: redhawk4
Quotefrom: grayelky on Today at 03:52:15 PM
Redhawk-
No apologies are needed. You have the right to be wrong!

And there I was thinking it was the rest of you that were wrong

Quote"In a world of fugitives, the person taking the opposite direction will appear to run away." T.S. Eliot

The CVang grips do not appeal to me either. I have not tried them so I cannot speak about the functionality. The Black Widow/Mini Master grips do give the best grip of the ones I have tried.

Canoeal

The MM or BW grips work fine and fit most magnum frames. They are a little thicker and provide two finger grips. I would put them on whatever I get.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

WECSOG

I really like the BW grips too. They make the gun much more shootable than my standard Mag grips.
I'm disappointed to hear negative reviews of the Boot Grips, because while I've never tried them I really like the way they look.
My first NAA was my LR, and it came with the folding grip installed when I bought it about 15 years ago. I put the original rosewoods back on right after I got it, but recently reinstalled the folding grip.
It looks different from the current folding grip. I don't like the way it feels nor looks, but it handles reasonably well, is quick into action and is a very convenient way to carry.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"