NAA Lock Box

Started by Bj, December-24-17 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bj

The NAA Lock Box is the first metal lock box I got that did not come with a cable and a slot in the box to secure a cable.  I expect the mini revolver would be difficult if not impossible to lock from use with a padlock which may account for the box instead of a padlock coming with the gun.
Has anyone tried to cut a slot in the box to secure a cable so it could be secured to a bar under the rest in a vehicle or some such thing?

Bigbird48

Texduk3

negatory ghost rider  8)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Warthog

Not me, sorry Bj.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

PaPa K

You could cut a slot, but the nano vaults I have have a reinforcement around the slot I presume to prevent pullout of Cable lug?

Canoeal

Mine get locked up when it is at home and I have something bigger close by. I don't like the idea of leaving my gun in the car, locked in a box or not.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

OLD and GRUMPY

Drill a hole to fit the cable. 

With the cylinder out I just use a small pad lock around the frame. This makes it "locked and unloaded". Cylinder then is like a loaded mag on the side that can not be put in with out unlocking.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

grayelky

For what it is worth, of all the guns that come through my shop, NAA is the ONLY company to use a meal box. Some only use cardboard. Ann out 3 years ago, I think, Sandy announced in one of his columns the use of the metal box, and it being part of an industry initiative to secure your gun when it is not in your possession. I have seen other manufacturers mention the Own It campaign, but no one has taken the extra step Sandy Chisholm and North American Arms has.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

PaducahMichael

extra step = Sandy Chisholm

That's one reason why we are all on this forum and are dedicated owners.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Bigbird48

I hope some day they make these boxes an accessory so we can buy them for our minis that didn't come with a box :)

OLD and GRUMPY

Good idea.

Would give them another line of profit.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

redhawk4

Quote from: Bj on December-24-17 16:12
The NAA Lock Box is the first metal lock box I got that did not come with a cable and a slot in the box to secure a cable.  I expect the mini revolver would be difficult if not impossible to lock from use with a padlock which may account for the box instead of a padlock coming with the gun.
Has anyone tried to cut a slot in the box to secure a cable so it could be secured to a bar under the rest in a vehicle or some such thing?

You could probably find some sort of "hasp" at a hardware store that could be attached to make a loop on the box and fixed in place with small coach bolts or rivets that would deter the casual thief or anyone else from walking off with the box.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Bigbird48

I can see it now tho we all have 15 mini boxes with little Black keys, 3 days later I find the right key to open my sidewinder box. ::) I guess we'd have to paint  or keys different colors. ;D

zburkett

A friend of mine of mine has the NAA box screwed down with his 9mm locked in it.  That way he only has to carry the key to get to the 9 if he needs it.  No need to have a lock box for his mini, it is always in his pocket.

RangerJim

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-27-17 17:12
I hope some day they make these boxes an accessory so we can buy them for our minis that didn't come with a box :)
Hey, BigBird:
You asked for it ...  Here you go, my friend!   :D

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/uncategorized/naa-metal-locking-gun-case-2/
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Bigbird48

wow were did you find that well I know now but I looked all over and missed that LOL ::)

::)
Quote from: RangerJim on December-27-17 18:12
Hey, BigBird:
You asked for it ...  Here you go, my friend!   :D

RangerJim

Honestly ...  I remember seeing it in the past, but not recently.  So, I just did a search of "metal locking box" on the NAA website and found it.  The question is: Are they still selling it?  I'll let you know ... because I just ordered one.   ;)

Dinadan

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-27-17 17:12
Quote from: Bj on December-24-17 16:12

You could probably find some sort of "hasp" at a hardware store that could be attached to make a loop on the box and fixed in place with small coach bolts or rivets that would deter the casual thief or anyone else from walking off with the box.
I was thinking that just a simple eyebolt would do. One hole, with maybe three progressively bigger washers inside to keep the nut from being yanked through the case. That would stop a casual thief, and you probably are not going to stop a pro.

That said, I do not like the idea of leaving my gun in my vehicle at all.

Gripen

Honestly, the lock box is kinda pointless. It isn't great for travel because there's no handle, and it isn't good for storage either because you shouldn't store guns on foam. I'd rather have spent $10 less and not gotten the box.
NAA Mini .22 Short
WTB Freedom Arms Patriot .22 LR (1 5/8")

David Culp

I bought 4 keyed alike lock boxes with cables online. I have one in each of my three vehicles and keep the key on my key ring. If I find myself somewhere I am not allowed to carry I lock it up. If I find myself driving through a state I can't carry I lock it up. If I decide to have a drink I lock it up with the ammo locked in the glove box in a small plastic container that I already have in each cars glove box. I don't like to leave a fire arm locked in my car but do it when I have to. Those boxes may stop someone from getting it in a smash and grab but won't keep someone determined or prepared with the right tools but I should at least no longer be legally liable if it gets stolen.

Bigbird48

I never heard that you don't store guns on Foam, Why Not. As far as the box is concerned its a safety box for at home. Mostly to keep young Kids from getting there hands on it.It works great for this purpose. Lock your gun in the box put it on a high closet shelf and it keeps the kids out.Its not meant as a safe or to keep out the thieves with a sledge hammer.Just makes it very haed for the little ones to get at it. :) 

PaducahMichael

You can buy them on the web site - use the search to find it I think they are $19

they are hard to find on the web site - here's the link:

Gripen

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-27-17 21:12
I never heard that you don't store guns on Foam, Why Not. As far as the box is concerned its a safety box for at home. Mostly to keep young Kids from getting there hands on it.It works great for this purpose. Lock your gun in the box put it on a high closet shelf and it keeps the kids out.Its not meant as a safe or to keep out the thieves with a sledge hammer.Just makes it very haed for the little ones to get at it. :)
Foam is great at attracting and storing moisture, and you don't want moisture in long term contact with any of your guns, even stainless steel ones like NAAs (or plastic ones like Glocks).
NAA Mini .22 Short
WTB Freedom Arms Patriot .22 LR (1 5/8")

Uncle Fatso

I wipe the gun down with a silicone cloth, and put it inside a folded over sheet of waxed paper in the foam lined case.  No rust problems yet. Knock on wood.

redhawk4

I've seen some stouter specific metal boxes for for handguns for sale that come with a cable so it can be secured to something in your car, if you have to leave it in there such a "vault" under the seat is much better security than nothing against the casual thief who smashes the window and grabs anything obvious from your door pockets and glove box. They also say they can be used in a hotel rooms and so on, I forget the brand.

As for storage boxes in general, I have a cupboard full of them, as I never store the guns in them, most have probably sat their since the day I bought the gun. For my handguns I just use the little soft gun cases and keep those inside my gun safe. Here in Utah the air is so dry that inside the house corrosion is not an issue.

Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Bigbird48

That why they have those little silica packs, they keep your gun dry and rust free and the foam protects it from bumps and bruise's ;D   

Quote from: Gripen on December-27-17 22:12
Foam is great at attracting and storing moisture, and you don't want moisture in long term contact with any of your guns, even stainless steel ones like NAAs (or plastic ones like Glocks).

PaducahMichael

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-27-17 22:12

As for storage boxes in general, I have a cupboard full of them, as I never store the guns in them, most have probably sat their since the day I bought the gun. For my handguns I just use the little soft gun cases and keep those inside my gun safe.

Me too. I sort of feel guilty about having the NAA metal cases just sitting in a closet. The only reason to save the original boxes is if you plan to sell the gun - might be an attractive add on for the buyer.

Dinadan

Quote from: Gripen on December-27-17 22:12
I would be especially careful about storing anything with natural bone or horn grips or wood grips. I once bought a very nice pocket knife that came with a special foam lined display case. The knife had probably been in the case for a couple of decades and the color from the foam had bled over into the bone handle that was in contact with the case. So for long term storage I am leery of foam or any plastic if the handles/grips are special.

David Culp

I haven't checked all my naa lock boxes but my ranger iis have a notch in the side where  you could pass a cable and holes in the bottom where  you could screw or bolt then to something

Ruger

I also store my handguns in gun rugs in my safe (rugs unzipped for moisture), but replace any open cell foam with closed cell foam inserts.  I generally make my own inserts using Kaizen Foam, which allows you to easily cut to the precise depth you need.  The closed cell foam does not absorb or attract water, oil, etc.  But NO firearm ever goes unfondled and uncleaned longer than 6 months, unless it was at the range, when in that case it gets cleaned in 24 hours.  Yeah, my OCD would allow any firearm to stay dirty very long.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

RangerJim

Just to close the loop here ...  I ordered the metal box from NAA on the night of 12/27, and I received it today, 12/31.  That's pretty darn fast, considering there was a weekend in there!  It came in a cardboard NAA outer box, and included the little silica gel pack and keys--unfortunately, there were no Ranger IIs inside ...   :o   Anyway, it's a nice option for those who may want one--or need to replace an old one. 

Happy New Year everyone!    :D

Don73

I have also read that its not good to store a firearm long term on or in a foam container. But if you store them in some thing like a bore store and then foam box it would probably be ok. Also if you wipe your gun with a silicone cloth on regular bases you should be ok. If you google you will read and see pictures of horror stories of guns stored long term on foam. As noted the foam holds moister and the chemical make up of the foam can damage guns. This would apply to long term storage.

Bigbird48

and were all forgetting our minis are stainless and should not rust.Silica paks a little oil and Im sure you have no worries about a mini on foam. Other guns with proper care should not be a worry either. Throw your regular old gun in a foam box after a day out in the cold and snow, well there ya go rusty gun ::)

Don73

You might be right, but this is what one gunsmith noted. Everyone should do their research and do what works for them. This apples to long term storage.

Cases padded with anything are for protecting a firearm from damage while transporting it. That's all. They are not designed for long term storage in a world where the temp and relative humidity can go up and down randomly. Store your gun on a rack or shelf in open air in a climate controlled environment (i.e. a heated and air conditioned home). Basements and attics and garages can be very bad. Any material that can absorb moisture from the ambient air will put it in contact with your gun. Leave it in there long enough and you can ruin the finish. Leather holsters and scabbards can also trap and hold moisture. Fabric cases or rugs are also a good way to rust a gun. If you have been storing your guns in padded cases or rugs and have not seen any rust then consider yourself very lucky. I have seen countless customer's guns who weren't so lucky. Every single one was stored in a fabric/pile/foam lined case.

motter

I was pleasantly surprised when my Sidewinder arrived in a small metal box.  I though a nice way for NAA to ship  :) and yes I do use it for storage with silica inside.