Black Frame Black Widow w/NP3 Cylinder, Hammer & Cyl. Pin

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, December-26-17 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

I bought a Black Widow a 5 or 6 weeks ago in a private sale.  It was in great shape, looked like it had always been in the box and never carried.

Anyway.... after buying it, I looked at it for a few minutes then went next door to Robar to see what was available to make it black.

Because of tight tolerances by NAA they recommended having the Cylinder & Hammer done in NP3 because it is thinner.

If done in Black the Cylinder & Hammer would scratch/scuff. Little to no chance when done NP3 as they suggested so, I went with that. They had a sample revolver there in Black & Silver it looked good.

The coating cost as much as the gun so.... you will be seeing it in all my Black Widow Holster photos for a long time!!lol!!  ::) 

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/roguard/

https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3-plus/
Rick Jorgenson

Warthog

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

Gog

ray

Arts09

Really nice Rick. It now has a Black Widow look!

RangerJim

Quote from: Arts09 on December-27-17 07:12

You beat me to it, Arts--It's a Black Black Widow now!

I like it, Rick!  I might like it even more with a more modern grip, but very cool!   8)

So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: RangerJim on December-27-17 07:12

You beat me to it, Arts--It's a Black Black Widow now!

I like it, Rick!  I might like it even more with a more modern grip, but very cool!   8)

I have the other Grips,  (which I like better anyway). I'll take photos with those later today or tonight

Quote from: Warty62 on December-26-17 23:12
Cool look Rick, IDK if I would do it though.
It's different Warty.  There was another thread that discussed Cerekote and a couple other coatings and I had just bought this gun.

I don't have the "attachment" with this gun that I do with my others that I have had for some time and carried every day, caressed, taken to the park on long walks, etc.  lol!!

Back to the gun.....My shop neighbor is Robar (Gun Smiths, Gun Coatings, Manufacturer) and they send a lot of business to our shop I figured its time I get something done by them. I have a Black Widow (it is my first NAA I purchased) so this is a duplicate and would be a ok to try Black Coating.

A friend that does Kydex at my shop has a G-43 with Factory CereKote (sp?) and it scratches like crazy, looks really bad after just a couple weeks.  Robars coatings have great reviews and many of my customers have had work done there for 20 years and keep bringing there new guns in.

It's a trial, I spent the same amount of money having it coated as I bought the gun for so I'll never get my money back selling it so I'll keep it and use it for photo's of Black Widow Holsters.  So far being at the shop for only a couple hours yesterday it brought a lot of attention so at least it generates curiosity more so than a "stock" Black Widow in the shop.

Plus,  I can report on durability of the coating,  I'm not sure anyone is harder on there guns than I am building holsters! lol!!

Quote from: Gog on December-27-17 06:12
Nice! Great buy!

Thank you Sir. 
Hows the leather work doing?  We need to see some Black Widow Holsters from you!

Quote from: smokeless joe on December-27-17 04:12

Looks good Rick

Thanks Joe
That PUG of yours may look good done like this! lol!
Quote from: uncle_lee on December-27-17 04:12
Very good Rick...
Thanks for a morning picture.
Thanks Uncle_Lee. I Always try to provide you with something to go with your coffee!

I think so!  I really am curious how the coatings hold up.  I have noticed the gun feels "lubricated" apparently the coating has something to do with that. It is completely dry but feel "slick".  One of my customers told me "nothing sticks to it, to clean the gun you only need to wipe it. Only the chamber area nearest ignition needs gun cleaner".

Quote from: ray on December-27-17 07:12
looks good I like it
Thank you Ray!

Rick Jorgenson

grayelky

I too, am interested in how well the coating holds up. I also like the SS accents you left.

I am old, and confuse easily, which has happened here. Is the entire gun NP3? Other finishes on parts of it?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

Looks good Rick, and definitely 'old school'. I like it.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: grayelky on December-27-17 10:12
I too, am interested in how well the coating holds up. I also like the SS accents you left.

I am old, and confuse easily, which has happened here. Is the entire gun NP3? Other finishes on parts of it?

The Black is Roguard and the Silver is NP3

I was so excited I didn't make it real clear in the post  :o

Quote from: Canoeal on December-27-17 10:12
Looks good Rick, and definitely 'old school'. I like it.

Thanks Al!  Here it is with the orig. BW Grips
Rick Jorgenson

postalman

Outstanding looking piece just the way it is, but this inquiring mind is wondering what it would look like with a fluted cylinder.
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

RangerJim

Beautiful, Rick!  Looks great with the original BW grips.  I may have to look into the Roguard/NP3 combo for one of mine.  Thanks for going first!   ;D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

PaducahMichael

Wow! Paladin would be proud to carry that one....
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

grayelky

I like it! Wonder if they could do the cylinder 2 tone: NP3 with black flutes? Kinda like the Wasp.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Bigbird48

Awesome Rick and you got it back sooner then expected. :D

Canoeal

Got admit I thought it reminded me of something...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Postalman on December-27-17 15:12
Outstanding looking piece just the way it is, but this inquiring mind is wondering what it would look like with a fluted cylinder.

Probably look AWESOME!

I can't spend another dime on this gun.  It would be cool though.

Quote from: Canoeal on December-27-17 21:12
Got admit I thought it reminded me of something...

Looks like a twin!

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-27-17 19:12
Awesome Rick and you got it back sooner then expected. :D

Yea,

Their not like those "Leather Guys". lol!!!

Quote from: grayelky on December-27-17 16:12
I like it! Wonder if they could do the cylinder 2 tone: NP3 with black flutes? Kinda like the Wasp.

Not sure if thats is doable.  You can email them and ask.

Quote from: PaducahMichael on December-27-17 16:12
Wow! Paladin would be proud to carry that one....

:)

Quote from: RangerJim on December-27-17 16:12
Beautiful, Rick!  Looks great with the original BW grips.  I may have to look into the Roguard/NP3 combo for one of mine.  Thanks for going first!   ;D

I like the Rubber grips on it better as well.  :)

Rick Jorgenson

WayneState

looks fantastic. Hope it wears well! I'd love to see NAA offer more black options, especially on "tactical" models, like the Pug. One with the same finish as the blackjack would be very welcome! Enjoy!

Oh, any experience with "INsta-black?"  https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/stainless-steel/room/insta-blak-ss-370/

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: WayneState on December-28-17 18:12
looks fantastic. Hope it wears well! I'd love to see NAA offer more black options, especially on "tactical" models, like the Pug. One with the same finish as the blackjack would be very welcome! Enjoy!

Oh, any experience with "INsta-black?"  https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/stainless-steel/room/insta-blak-ss-370/

Welcome to the Forum WayneState!!

I checked out the link.  I notice they require/suggest clear coating after application of clear lacquer or clear powder coat.

I'm guessing the clear would be the real protection.

The tolerances on these guns are tight so to much build up in mil thickness won't work. Cylinder rotation will scratch, hammer movement may not function correctly.
Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

I have a can off glossy black paint ;D ::) :P

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on December-29-17 08:12
Quote from: WayneState on December-28-17 18:12

Welcome to the Forum WayneState!!

I checked out the link.  I notice they require/suggest clear coating after application of clear lacquer or clear powder coat.

I'm guessing the clear would be the real protection.

The tolerances on these guns are tight so to much build up in mil thickness won't work. Cylinder rotation will scratch, hammer movement may not function correctly.

Stuffgeek

I like it Rick, I am working on the reverse as I wait for my cylinder from CCR in Cera-Hide.

autofull