Does your hammer sit flush in the safety notch?

Started by kpla51, July-30-19 10:07

Previous topic - Next topic

kpla51

Just got back into the NAAs and purchased a standers 1 5/8 in 22/22mag. While the hammer is in the safety notch it doesn't sit flush with the frame and there is wiggle in the cylinder. I do not remember my PUG being this way. The play is on both the levels and magnum cylinder. Is this normal? Any insight would be appreciated.

grayelky

Your question caused me to go look. I have a brand new, fresh from the distributor, black Black Widow. I checked it. To my surprise, there is about 1/16" gap (maybe less) between the hammer face and the frame. The cylinder does have just a little wiggle when in the safety notch, but no more than I have noticed in other NAA revolvers. When I returned the BW to the shelf, I also checked a Rainbow mini and a 1 1/8" mini and both had the same gap, and about the same amount of "wiggle". My guess is yours is normal. Just shoot it till the barrel falls off.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

kpla51

Quote from: grayelky on July-30-19 11:07
Your question caused me to go look. I have a brand new, fresh from the distributor, black Black Widow. I checked it. To my surprise, there is about 1/16" gap (maybe less) between the hammer face and the frame. The cylinder does have just a little wiggle when in the safety notch, but no more than I have noticed in other NAA revolvers. When I returned the BW to the shelf, I also checked a Rainbow mini and a 1 1/8" mini and both had the same gap, and about the same amount of "wiggle". My guess is yours is normal. Just shoot it till the barrel falls off.

I wonder if it's only on the newer ones. That's about the same distance mine has. Like I stated I don't remember the PUG having that gap.

Bj

I don't see any gap on a 1 1/8 LR.  The little bit of wiggle for the cylinder just gives us a little bit of room to get into the safety slot.  The hammer reaching well  enough into the safety slot is key in my view.

Bcfd1025

My 1 1/8" LR sits flush, however the cylinder has slight amount of movement.

Boisesteve

I've got four minis that span pretty much from when NAA started making safety notch cylinders in the 1980's, to 2018. My first was made when NAA was in  Spanish Fork, UT.  It's a 1 5/8" 22L/R, and when its hammer is down in the safety notch it's as described by Greyelky, with a tiny gap and a tiny bit of play.  The next is an older 1 5/8" 22mag from the 1990's I'd guess, and it's also the same.  My 4" Earl is from around 2014 and it too is the same, as is my 2018 1 5/8" 22mag Ellett Bros. tritium sights special... so it seems to me, that's the way they're supposed to be. 
Steve in Boise

kpla51

Stopped into another shop on the way home and looked at 2 others that were the same. While I was there I put 50 lr and 50 magnums down range with no hiccups. Thanks for everyones input.

Lemon

I have a older Spanish Fork mini LR and it has the wiggly and the small gap between the hammer and frame. It is normal from the ones I have seen. Nothing new for sure because the Spanish Fork was made years ago. I hope this helps.

Lemon

Let me add that I just now took the cylinder out and let the hammer down and the gap is gone. Yep, the hammer is against the frame. For just a very quick analysis I would say this ensures no light strikes. Cause if the hammer sits exactly on the frame with the cylinder in then it had better strike the casing good.  :) Now of course this is just thought of in two minutes time so I could be wrong.

grayelky

Lemon-
While I agree you could be wrong, I don't think you are this time. Your analysis makes sense to me.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

kpla51

Quote from: Lemon on July-30-19 19:07
Let me add that I just now took the cylinder out and let the hammer down and the gap is gone. Yep, the hammer is against the frame. For just a very quick analysis I would say this ensures no light strikes. Cause if the hammer sits exactly on the frame with the cylinder in then it had better strike the casing good.  :) Now of course this is just thought of in two minutes time so I could be wrong.

Makes perfect sense to me and my hammer sit flush to the frame on an empty chamber but not on the safety notch.

JWL79

My hammer sits flush as others stated there is a bit of wiggle of the cylinder since the notch is slightly wider than the hammer.