Break Top 32 s&w

Started by riadat, September-29-18 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

riadat

I saw an iver Johnson safety 32 at my local pawn store.  For like 100 bucks.  And I didn't know much about it but as I looked at it I realized it was small and light.  And I thought that it would be a good pocket carry.

I did some research and supposedly they are safe to carry and drop safe -- sort of the name and they invented it.

I didn't buy it but I wanted to.  I went home and did some research and it seems like that model was the black powder before 1909 model 1 or 2 version. 

I see one of these in my future.  Are the H&R version also safe to carry?  Are any of these safe to shoot smokeless.  I have read that they shoot themselves loose, some say anyways, some say with smokeless instead of black powder.  I guess you get the model 3 version in the safeties?

I don't tend to shoot a lot.  I go to the range empty my carry ammo and a few other reloads and then go home.  Make sure it works and im still mediocre. 

Tell me about these break top 32s please.

linux_author

Mr. riadat - i have a .32 Smith and Wesson Safety Hammerless (2nd version) - its serial number traces to the first decade of 1900s, and is in excellent condition (it was a gift from my father-in-law and was his mother's pistol)

the Smiths, in good condition, will shoot Magtech's .32S&W loads with no problem... if you run across any .38 breaktops, have the seller remove the grips - if the hammer spring is leaf, i'd pass, as the pistol should not shoot modern loads - if the hammer spring is a coiled spring you should be good to go

other things to look for: condition of the latch, timing, and lockup - some problems with fore- and aft-cylinder movement can be fixed with a bushing

most of these breaktops allow easy cylinder removal and are easy to clean (from what i've watched on the 'tube)

these are double-action, so not the easiest to shoot, and of course, are intended as belly guns... but they are lightweight and compact..

ammo is about $20 box/50...

as i've posted here before, here's my nearly perfect Smith Hammerless Safety:

here's more interesting reading:

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/smith-wesson-hand-guns/smith-wesson-new-departure/

hope this helps

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

riadat

I think I want a 3rd model 2 inch snub version of the iver Johnson safety 32

anyone know of one?