Wood grips on Guardian, opinions please

Started by Lemon, September-12-18 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemon

Good evening gentlemen. I purchased a new naa 380 Guardian and would like some input from other guardian owners on replacing the grips with wooden grips. I am leaning toward the non-checkered Guardian Cocobolo Grips. What should my concerns be? I know they are wider but are they that much wider? Does the wider grips make it not fit into holsters designed for the Guardian with factory grips? Outer belt carry, not pocket holsters. Also I did see one video online and the guy said his wooden grips broke although he did not say what caused them to break. Any advice would be appreciated. 

coopercdrkey

(Just my opinion, but-) Wider and substantially so making a wonderful little gem of a pistol which was a marginal carry to begin with virtually un- carryable, (if that's even a word).   YMMV
NAA Black Widow
Bersa T380
NAA Guardian .32
Henry H001

linux_author

have to agree... the flat profile of the Guardian with stock grips is something that works in its favor... on the other hand, if you're looking for a bit more purchase on your hold, try the wood grips...

still won't make extended range sessions any less painful though...

and don't forget to take a bandage for your trigger finger - just in case

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Lemon

I appreciate the input. I have not shot it enough to find out how the trigger finger will feel (pain). I did read something about the trigger finger, not sure if it was that it hits the guard or what. Maybe you could elaborate Linux. The factory grips feel good in the hand but I have never held one with wood grips so I cannot compare. I definitely like the looks of the wood grips better. Has anyone on here heard of the wood grips breaking?  Maybe more will give some input. Thanks much!

linux_author

if you're only going to shoot a few magazines you may not feel much abrasion - but i definitely ended up with some blistering after 50- or 100-round sessions

of course, you may have different holds or trigger finger approaches - one interesting thing i found is that if i (as a right-hander) switched to my left hand, there was no trigger abrasion...

maybe i'm just a freak shooter with different trigger fingers?

willie
on the 'i can shoot left- or right-handed - i'm amphibious!' Gulf of Mexico

bearcatter

I have the Guardian 32 with the factory Hogue nylon grips. Besides wood adding thickness and a little weight to the gun, you have to consider that the left grip is actually part of the frame, supporting the drawbar spring and other parts. Without the left grip, the gun may not function well. Also, small guns are, unfortunately, more easily dropped. The nylon is going to ignore that better than wood, a good point if you are in the middle of defending yourself.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

[email protected]

They would likely add to the practical accuracy of the pistol. It would likely resist pulling and twisting during shooting which results in poor practical accuracy beyond 7 yards or so. The stock hogues are very nicely textured and very thin. They grip the hand nicely and hide well, but they do not fill the hand and the pistol moves all over when pulling the trigger.

The old ones would crack from recoil. The new ones have a nylon backing plate that eliminates the cracking.

Holsters designed for the pistol are designed and molded with the stock Hogue grips attached. The wider wood grips would change the way the pistol fits. It may fit fine. Mine does even with the wider ctc laser grips.

That's my opinion based on my experience.

Lemon

Again thanks for the additional input. Bearcatter you had me thinking when you mentioned about the left grip. I have never taken one apart and am not sure how it affects the frame.  Swmp thanks for the input as well. I placed an order for other items and did not include the wood grips. I guess I will just have to debate it more and then pay for the shipping if I decide to purchase the grips. Linux thanks for expanding on your knowledge. Just dry firing it (with snapcaps) I can see a lot of rounds could cause a blister. I am hoping the trigger will smooth out with use. I did add a little Hopp's oil to it.

bearcatter

Continual lousy weather has kept me from putting more than 50 rounds thru mine, but even that smoothed the trigger enough to notice. I can see the safety of their ten pound pull, but I think a bit less would have been just as safe? Eight would be better for me! Glad to hear you're a Hoppe's guy, me too...... :)
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

autofull

yeah, i know about the hurting trigger finger deal. no more than 30rds at a time for my guardians at the range. funny how the kel-tec p32 does not bang my finger up at all buy i carry the guardian. mine is one of the first ones made and still going strong guys.